Rylan Bannon 2021

Just Regular

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Two homers tonight now, five in the last three games.  

When I posted in this thread earlier today, I didn’t realize this was in the Orioles major league forum.   It really belongs over on the minor league forum, where a thread on Bannon was started today.   I suggest the mods should move this over there and merge it with the other thread (or just move it).

If you insist…

Still gotta DFA him in the offseason. .157 AVG. is he quick enough to play 2nd and turn the double play?  Does he have the arm strength for 3B. He’s a little guy that’s not really fast. 

To me he’s behind Urias, Martin, Leyba, McCoy, Vavra, Jones, and Grenier. I don’t even know where he gets ABs next year in AAA with Vavra and Grenier advancing. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Still gotta DFA him in the offseason. .157 AVG. is he quick enough to play 2nd and turn the double play?  Does he have the arm strength for 3B. He’s a little guy that’s not really fast. 

To me he’s behind Urias, Martin, Leyba, McCoy, Vavra, Jones, and Grenier. I don’t even know where he gets ABs next year in AAA with Vavra and Grenier advancing. 

I don't think this is the time to make a decision on whether Bannon is protected this fall.   Wait until after the season.  If he continues to surge he may be worth protecting.  If he don't he may not be.   Vavra has has injury problems and Grenier has trouble hitting.   The whole thing needs more time IMO.

Gotta treat Bannon like Baumann. Baumann’s overall product in Bowie this year wasn’t very good but it was clear he was working through his injury and looked like his old self by the end of his stint there. Bannon may hit well for the rest of the season and still end with a bad slash line. Who cares? If he sinks back into a slump that’s another story. Hopefully he can earn a promotion and get a shot before the infielders in Aberdeen and Bowie come through. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't think this is the time to make a decision on whether Bannon is protected this fall.   Wait until after the season.  If he continues to surge he may be worth protecting.  If he don't he may not be.   Vavra has has injury problems and Grenier has trouble hitting.   The whole thing needs more time IMO.

For some reason I thought he was already on the 40 man. He has to be one of the worst players to ever have his own thread. He’s 5 nothing. 100 nothing. And batting 100 nothing. 

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

I agree.   Injuries may have hampered him, as CoC suggested.   Sometimes these guys come back from obliques and they’re not really ready.   So, let’s see how the rest of 2021 plays out.   If he hits 5 homers every three games from here on out, I will probably favor keeping him. ?

On 8/14/2021 at 10:24 AM, wildcard said:

I don't see Grenier as worth protecting either.  Is a team going to keep Grenier on their team all season to add a utility IF to their system.  Guys like that are a dollar a dozen.