Cole Sulser on pitch design

Frobby

——

Cole Sulser was featured in this past week’s installment of our Learning and Developing a Pitch series, with the Baltimore Orioles reliever telling the story behind his changeup. Left on the cutting room floor from that conversation were his thoughts on pitch design as a whole, as well as a comparison of his current and former clubs. Previously with the Tampa Bay Rays, Sulser came the Orioles via the waiver wire in October 2019.

“It’s been similar to what the organization I was with before is known for,” said Sulser. “[The Rays] are known for pitching development, and that’s definitely the way it’s headed here. The reason I started working on my changeup, and the pitch design that went with it, was because of the recommendation of the coaches. They looked at my analytics and felt it was an area where I could improve my game.

“They’ve given me all the tools I need,” added Sulser. “I can go throw my changeup on the Rapsodo, and I can home in on the Edgertronic camera to see how it’s coming out, and where I might need to make tweaks. I’m able to visualize what I want to get out of it, and where I can make those improvements.”

What might have happened were the previous, less-analytically-inclined Orioles regime still in place? Sulser theorized that he’d still be throwing his old circle change, and not the more-effective split-circle. In other words, things are changing for the better in Baltimore… at least when it comes to pitching development. The current state of the big-league club is another story entirely.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-under-the-radar-dodgers-prospect-justin-yurchak-is-raking/

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess it's cool they are in the process of catching up...assuming that the Rays aren't currently advancing in some other fashion.

Are the O's running with the pack?  Are they ahead of some teams?  Still behind?

This is certainly good news but I'm not sure how good.

I’m awaiting some actual good results from our pitchers.   

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess it's cool they are in the process of catching up...assuming that the Rays aren't currently advancing in some other fashion.

Are the O's running with the pack?  Are they ahead of some teams?  Still behind?

This is certainly good news but I'm not sure how good.

Yeah, those questions are hard to answer right now. How long does the learning process take? 

The biggest gains are always in the beginning of something new. We’ve seen that in the minor league performance gains since 2019. But, when those prospects, such as Zimmerman, Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Wells, etc…have come up, they are getting shelled. My question is, would Elias have brought those guys listed into the organization? Are they equipped with what Elias and Holt are looking for? I think Zimmermann and Kremer are guys for them, but they have to get mentally tougher. The others are probably not much more than back-end shuttle guys, maybe bullpen middle guys. Maybe. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Yeah, those questions are hard to answer right now. How long does the learning process take? 

The biggest gains are always in the beginning of something new. We’ve seen that in the minor league performance gains since 2019. But, when those prospects, such as Zimmerman, Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Wells, etc…have come up, they are getting shelled. My question is, would Elias have brought those guys listed into the organization? Are they equipped with what Elias and Holt are looking for? I think Zimmermann and Kremer are guys for them, but they have to get mentally tougher. The others are probably not much more than back-end shuttle guys, maybe bullpen middle guys. Maybe. 

Hopefully the Orioles can get some value out of the pen from some of these failed starters.  Or...maybe they figure out how to be effective in the rotation.  

The good thing about guys getting shelled this year: it doesn't matter. But if they get shelled, hopefully they learn from their mistakes and work on improvements.  

On 8/15/2021 at 11:32 AM, crowmst3k! said:

Hopefully the Orioles can get some value out of the pen from some of these failed starters.  Or...maybe they figure out how to be effective in the rotation.  

The good thing about guys getting shelled this year: it doesn't matter. But if they get shelled, hopefully they learn from their mistakes and work on improvements.  

Agreed. When you have average stuff, at best, you’d better have great command and learn how to sequence. You have to pitch. 

This year matters if they are not mentally tough enough. If their confidence is so shaken that they will not challenge hitters, that is a problem.

• 1 month later...

I guess Laurila and Sulser got along well enough to reconnect.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/fangraphs-audio-fred-harris-chats-baseball-cards-cole-sulser-shares-his-journey/

I forgot/never knew he was a double Tommy John guy, but it helps me understand a little better how he got to waivers.   Longer ago I regarded TJ #2 as a "never will be good again" the same as thoracic outlet still seems to me.

Aside from Sulser, Daniel Hudson, Nate Eovaldi and Drew Rasmussen are a few other successes in recent years.

Towards the end there's the detail his Dartmouth degree is mechanical engineering, and with baseball/pitch design being a passion, continuing that when his playing days end are something he wouldn't mind.   He was a 3-year teammate of Kyle Hendricks, and looks like he was the better K/BB guy of the two in those days.

• Upvote 1