Can We Finally Get Rid of Jorge Lopez?

Aristotelian

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

Post game they asked him if he needed a break from baseball for a little bit.  His answer was not exactly NO.  He just said he worked his whole life to get here and he aint quitting.  Honorable but not helpful for the Orioles at this time. 

obviously he's gutting out something awful. And trying to push through it.

This is the kind of guy I root for, even when he sucks.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

obviously he's gutting out something awful. And trying to push through it.

This is the kind of guy I root for, even when he sucks.

Maybe being sent to the bullpen would help.  That way he could not dwell on a day of a start but just get ready when they call him.  He might be a guy who thrives in the pen.   Dude throws hard enough to succeed.  He just isnt.  

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Maybe being sent to the bullpen would help.  That way he could not dwell on a day of a start but just get ready when they call him.  He might be a guy who thrives in the pen.   Dude throws hard enough to succeed.  He just isnt.  

Life is strange. Filled with little vignette scenes that define men and lives. Maybe this moment will shape Jorge Lopez's future. Or maybe it will shape the future of his teammates who are undoubtedly aware of his struggle and the details behind it. Maybe it will touch one young ball player. Cause him to realize the nature of overcoming adversity.

I respect the hell out of him for trying to play through this but maybe he should take an LOA for a little while.  It has to be tough on him to concentrate.

I know people deal with this everyday but he has a job that affords him the ability to step away, so maybe he should do that.

Obviously, I would leave it up to him, it’s such a personal decision but if it’s effecting him on the field, it may be time to take care of this.  No one would fault him for it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

His son has been sick.  It’s awful And there isn’t anyone not sympathetic to that fact.  It’s why he was on bereavement leave recently.

It doesn’t change he that he isn’t a ML starter.

I had not heard about Lopez’s son’s chemo treatments.  That’s really terrible. Hopefully the treatments will work and he’ll recover.   I’m sure that is an incredible distraction.

Putting that to one side, Lopez’s inconsistency is maddening.   Pretty much everyone on our pitching staff is maddening right now.   It’s to the point where I can’t watch the games right now.  

Maybe I just can't remember anything before 2012, but I think this is a new experience for me. There are a lot of games that I just can't watch, even if I have nothing else pressing to do. I usually check the score (and sometimes watch a bit) around the second or third inning, and then decide whether to watch. Often the game seems pretty much over by then, and I'll just look in sporadically to see whether anything's changes -- or not at all. It's really sad and saddening: 14th in the league in runs scored, last in runs allowed with an ERA almost a full run (.96) higher than the next-to-last team, and most would say everything is going according to plan. That may be, but my ability to watch the plan unfold so nicely has hit a wall.  

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

Sometimes, when you are going through tough times, sticking to your routine (work, etc.) can be helpful, almost like a welcome distraction.  I wish he and his son all the best.

Exactly. I have had a few times in life where work was the *only* place I felt normal and could escape from the realities facing me otherwise. Regardless of your performance or how your employer is doing overall.

Not to say I want him signed to an extension. But if pitching the rest of this year helps him in any way, seriously, what difference does it make? So sorry hear what he and his family are going through right now. 

I have a lot of respect for Lopez not only because of the recent news about his son (unimaginable trying to pitch in a ML game with that going on), but also because the guy has just posted up all season and leads the team in innings. Does it make him a ML pitcher? Well, he is one. But no, it doesn't mean he's great at being one. That said, he's clearly out there battling and throwing up innings on a team desperate for innings. A few gems sprinkled in. I think he needs a break or an IL stint, but the options to replace him are extremely grim.