Proposal: O's spend 40m in FA

wildcard

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I think there’s some value in having an experienced backup for Adley to use as a sounding board.   Also, the O’s might not be so blatant as to bring Adley up the moment he’s not going to accrue a full year of service time.  So, you need a principal starter those first few weeks.   

Ideally a decent veteran that can catch a few games here and there, dont break the bank on, but more importantly spending time with Adley and almost like a player/coach on the bench.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I see no indication that the O's will sign 3 and 4 year contract for 22-24 per year.

Well I mean heres the thing right, we don't know what they WILL DO, but we can conjecture on what they HAVE TO DO, to field a competitive roster in the next four years.

If the organization is not going to do what it needs to compete, or if people think we should only follow the Tampa model, we might as well table all discussion until there's a sale or the Orioles have had 10 years of top 5 picks.

If we want to discuss, as this thread is predicated, on what the Orioles need to do to "not waste G-rod and Adley) then we need to be talking about how this team spends money to get there.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wieters wasn’t a better prospect.

He also underperformed compared to what people thought he was…which goes back to exactly what I said about Adley.

I know, you are not a Wieters fan.

But dangit

Wieters was a solid first round pick for the Orioles.

No, he didnt live up to the hype.

He had a pretty darn good 3 years, before injuries took their tool

At this point its, subjective to opinions, until Adley plays at the ML level 3-5 years.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wieters wasn’t a better prospect.

He also underperformed compared to what people thought he was…which goes back to exactly what I said about Adley.

I beg to differ.  It's subjective, so there's no need to go back and forth, but Wieters was a better prospect.  Just go look at their MiL careers.

Underperform or people have unrealistic expectations?

You know how many middle of the order bats that caught and didn't have a needle hanging out of their arm have existed in my lifetime?

One.  Posey.  Maybe two depending on how you feel about Mauer.

It's a rare thing indeed.

I hope AR is Wieters with better OBP.  That's a hell of a player.  It's also not something I would describe as a "middle of the order" bat.

19 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I know, you are not a Wieters fan.

But dangit

Wieters was a solid first round pick for the Orioles.

No, he didnt live up to the hype.

He had a pretty darn good 3 years, before injuries took their tool

At this point its, subjective to opinions, until Adley plays at the ML level 3-5 years.

He was a good player.  No doubt.  He just didn’t become what people said he would and what his MiL career seemed to suggest.

18 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I beg to differ.  It's subjective, so there's no need to go back and forth, but Wieters was a better prospect.  Just go look at their MiL careers.

Underperform or people have unrealistic expectations?

You know how many middle of the order bats that caught and didn't have a needle hanging out of their arm have existed in my lifetime?

One.  Posey.  Maybe two depending on how you feel about Mauer.

It's a rare thing indeed.

I hope AR is Wieters with better OBP.  That's a hell of a player.  It's also not something I would describe as a "middle of the order" bat.

You are kidding, Right?

Adley is hitting 286/399/510/909 in 480 PA at AA/AAA.  He is hitting better at AAA than he did at AA.  That is a middle of the order bat.   He is hitting equal to or better than Mountcastle did when he was the MVP at AAA depending on how you measure it.

The question is not if he is a middle  of the order bat its how do the O's keep him healthy enough to hit to his potential in the majors.  My personal opinion is he catches 2/3 of the games the same as he is doing in the minors.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

You are kidding, Right?

Adley is hitting 286/399/510/909 in 480 PA at AA/AAA.  He is hitting better at AAA than he did at AA.  That is a middle of the order bat.   He is hitting equal to or better than Mountcastle did when he was the MVP at AAA depending on how you measure it.

The question is not if he is a middle  of the order batting its how do the O's keep him healthy enough to hit to his potential in the majors.  My personal opinion is he catches 2/3 of the games the same as he is doing in the minors.

No.   Wieters hit better.  Was he a middle of the order bat?

We had these same conversations then about him.  How we were going to need to rest him at 1b and DH.  And that never materialized.

Hell, is Mountcastle?  I wouldn't say that definitively going forward- although I like him.

I see a world where AR hits 250/350/450.

Is that a middle of the order bat?  I don't really consider it one.

End of the day, I want AR catching 130 games a year.

If he starts putting up 900 OPS, and can justify DHing or 1B, I would be willing to modify that.  But I need to see it first.  I'm not just assuming I want his bat in the lineup over Mountcastles' for instance.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He was a good player.  No doubt.  He just didn’t become what people said he would and what his MiL career seemed to suggest.

Baseball prospects, you might have heard of them.

Rated MW #1 in all of MIL in 2009, the first and only Oriole to ever hit #1,

AR is currently at #2, yes, he might make it to #1 before going to the ML, but he cant do better than #1, So clearly, Matt wins or draws at the measurement of MIL value.

55 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

From 2010-2013, Wieters caught between 126-140 games.

In 2016 and 2017, he caught 117 and 118 games.

And what happened in between?   He played so much that he tore his UCL. ?

More seriously, good catchers typically start 115-130 games at C.  You very occasionally see someone exceed 130 (Wieters did twice), but that’s pushing it. I’d be happier if they stayed at 115-130 with Rutschman    

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

No.   Wieters hit better.  Was he a middle of the order bat?

We had these same conversations then about him.  How we were going to need to rest him at 1b and DH.  And that never materialized.

, is Mountcastle?  I wouldn't say that definitively going forward- although I like him.

I see a world where AR hits 250/350/450.

Is that a middle of the order bat?  I don't really consider it one.

End of the day, I want AR catching 130 games a year.

If he starts putting up 900 OPS, and can justify DHing or 1B, I would be willing to modify that.  But I need to see it first.  I'm not just assuming I want his bat in the lineup over Mountcastles' for instance.

If AR's catching that many games it will begun to impact his bat. Not to mention shorten his shelf life at catcher.  I wouldn't go over 115