Should the O's be considering 3B/2B Josh Harrison this off season?

wildcard

I’m not sure what the value of Trey is.

I think everyone knows that he will be better in 2022 in terms of his body being in better shape to withstand a season.  He should come into next year stronger.

He has also been dealing with an injured oblique lately, which isn’t helping.

I don’t think you can get much in terms of prospects but, could you trade him to a team that has a vet starter that they are looking to dump? Yea I think you can.  

Have to figure out who that guy is, outside of David Price.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure what the value of Trey is.

I think everyone knows that he will be better in 2022 in terms of his body being in better shape to withstand a season.  He should come into next year stronger.

He has also been dealing with an injured oblique lately, which isn’t helping.

I don’t think you can get much in terms of prospects but, could you trade him to a team that has a vet starter that they are looking to dump? Yea I think you can.  

Have to figure out who that guy is, outside of David Price.

Possibly....but on this team he’s redundant. The arrival of RM has made it so.

I think Mancini could provide some value, but I don’t want the Orioles to be the one which finds out he’s not worth it.

16 hours ago, waroriole said:

Dorrian lol. 

He’s as good as any. I’d prefer we bring in Galvis or Iglesias since they can play SS, but this is what to expect in FA this year. 

I like Galvis. Good defender. Has some power. His power plays up in OPACY. The money it would take to sign him would not only give us his value, but would help to stabilize the IF defense so we can give our pitchers the best chance to succeed. 

An IF that has some upside, but yet should provide average to above average defense,

2B Urias

3B Guiterrez 

SS Galvis

Util Mateo

• Haha 1

I think if there is going to be one legitimate major league infielder signed this off-season, he should be able to play an acceptable shortstop. Jorge Mateo seemed so raw to me, it's tough justifying an everyday shortstop role for him on Opening Day 2022. I like him getting nearly everyday at-bats in a UTIL role.

Urias has shown enough to be the starter @ 2B IMO plus I would imagine management will want to see more of Jahmai Jones at the keystone next year. 

A reunion with any of the Villar, Galvis, Iglsesias trio makes sense. I like Matt Duffy as a versatile IF on a cheap major league deal. Will likely need more than 1 infield addition. 

45 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Galvis. Good defender. Has some power. His power plays up in OPACY. The money it would take to sign him would not only give us his value, but would help to stabilize the IF defense so we can give our pitchers the best chance to succeed. 

An IF that has some upside, but yet should provide average to above average defense,

2B Urias

3B Guiterrez 

SS Galvis

Util Mateo

Galvis is a good option too but I would rather give Mateo a shot at SS. Gutierrez is such a bad hitter I think Harrison would be a bigger upgrade at 3B than Galvis at SS. That said, any of these alignments would be better than what we had with Franco at 3B and Rio at 2B without locking us into anything long term.

5 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

His D has been impressive and I'd like to keep him in the organization, but I don't think he's worth a 40-man roster spot. 

Look, I love his D.   I've raved about it, and how enjoyable it has been to watch, since we first brought him up?

But is there really a place for a defense-only 3Bman who doesn't appear to have middle infield potential?   In an era where you are lucky if you have 13 position players on a roster, there really is no place for someone like that.  

There is no indication in his minor or major league track record that he will ever hit worth a darn.   He's 27.

So yeah, he is clearly not worth a 40 man roster spot.   As for "I'd like to keep him in the organization", I guess that's OK.   Every organization has org guys aplenty so it's not like keeping him in the organization is going to block anyone.   But honestly it's low on my priority list.   There is little to no chance he will ever be someone who belongs on the 26 man roster of a team trying to win.   So as much as I enjoy watching him play 3rd, I see no need to keep him around in any capacity. 

On 9/26/2021 at 10:12 AM, wildcard said:

Henderson, Westburg, Dorrian are probably a year away.  The O's need help at 3B.   So a short term FA/trade looks in order this off season.

Harrison is 34,  will be a FA this offseason.  Was on a one year, one million contract this year. He has played 134 games with a   760 OPS so he probably get more next year but probably on the one year contract.   1/2 or 3m may do it.   

Is Harrison the kind of player that Elias is likely to acquire for a year until the prospects are ready?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harrijo05.shtml

Finally, a sensible one of these. Harrison is a solid, realistic choice as a stopgap. Cosign.

On 9/26/2021 at 11:54 AM, Philip said:

That begs the question of why didn’t Mike and the other guys in the brain trust anticipate Franco being so bad? Did they know he was going to be bad and sign him anyway because he was cheap? Which is inexcusable but at least a concrete decision. Or did they expect him to be meaningfully better, and if so, what was wrong with their analysis. 
Like Adam said, “sometime you suck.” But there’s a difference between being bad sometimes, and just… Being bad.

If it is just money, that’s infuriating, but at least they didn’t sign him thinking he would be other than he was. But if they signed him expecting positive results, that’s a problem.

You don't normally project someone to hit 120 points below their career marks.  His three prior years were .780, .705 and .778.  Then he coughs up a .609.  Anthony Santander's last three are going to be .774, .890, and something like .720.  Do you project him to .625 next year?  Sometimes stuff just happens and no one saw it coming.

Although they knew all along he's not a good third baseman.

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You don't normally project someone to hit 120 points below their career marks.  His three prior years were .780, .705 and .778.  Then he coughs up a .609.  Anthony Santander's last three are going to be .774, .890, and something like .720.  Do you project him to .625 next year?  Sometimes stuff just happens and no one saw it coming.

Although they knew all along he's not a good third baseman.

I have never seen Santander at 3B.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Look, I love his D.   I've raved about it, and how enjoyable it has been to watch, since we first brought him up?

But is there really a place for a defense-only 3Bman who doesn't appear to have middle infield potential?   In an era where you are lucky if you have 13 position players on a roster, there really is no place for someone like that.  

There is no indication in his minor or major league track record that he will ever hit worth a darn.   He's 27.

So yeah, he is clearly not worth a 40 man roster spot.   As for "I'd like to keep him in the organization", I guess that's OK.   Every organization has org guys aplenty so it's not like keeping him in the organization is going to block anyone.   But honestly it's low on my priority list.   There is little to no chance he will ever be someone who belongs on the 26 man roster of a team trying to win.   So as much as I enjoy watching him play 3rd, I see no need to keep him around in any capacity. 

Gutierrez: pure catch 'n throw guy at 3rd base. Doesn't even know how to run or slide either despite the long limbs.

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Galvis is a good option too but I would rather give Mateo a shot at SS. Gutierrez is such a bad hitter I think Harrison would be a bigger upgrade at 3B than Galvis at SS. That said, any of these alignments would be better than what we had with Franco at 3B and Rio at 2B without locking us into anything long term.

I know that Galvis played SS for us, but he's been playing 3rd base for the Phillies since they reacquired him.  15 of his 23 starts have been at 3rd and he has only one error. Phillies fans love him, even as the team has been squandering its wild card chances.