2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I believe in common sense.  He isn’t going to go to college, risk injury, put off free agency long term, etc…over 300k.  I’m more than fine to die on that sword and if that makes me the “smartest guy in the room”, so be it.  I’m good with that.

Zero chance he doesn’t sign that deal.

I don’t know, but I don’t believe we’ll find out if you’re right on him. If Jones doesn’t agree pre-draft to what they want, I doubt they draft him.

I generally agree with you on this, though. But Jones has money, and the Dbacks will mortgage some of their top picks to take Jones, supposedly. Boras will get the best deal for his guys. 

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I don’t know, but I don’t believe we’ll find out if you’re right on him. If Jones doesn’t agree pre-draft to what they want, I doubt they draft him.

I generally agree with you on this, though. But Jones has money, and the Dbacks will mortgage some of their top picks to take Jones, supposedly. Boras will get the best deal for his guys. 

Elias shouldn't pick anyone 1-1 without a deal in place.

16 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

If I were betting money, I would bet on Holliday.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, foxfield said:

And how would you feel about that?

He’s the only other guy I feel is worthy of the first pick.  I wouldn’t take him over Jones but I think it’s justifiable.

The caveat to this is how does the team feel about Green and his swing and miss.  If they feel it’s easily correctable, which I assume they would if they took him 1, I’m good with him as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s the only other guy I feel is worthy of the first pick.  I wouldn’t take him over Jones but I think it’s justifiable.

The caveat to this is how does the team feel about Green and his swing and miss.  If they feel it’s easily correctable, which I assume they would if they took him 1, I’m good with him as well.

I think Green has higher upside than Jones and part of me wants to roll the dice on that.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Exactly where I am in this.

Law says this about Holliday in the link I posted above.  Perhaps this might make Elias lean "more" in Holliday's favor?

He’s improved his defensive skills at shortstop, although there’s also been talk of him moving to centerfield to take advantage of his speed if he can’t stay at short, rather than moving him to second or third. 

Edited by Paul in Virginia

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I liked this quote by Elias in his chat with Connally in the Athletic yesterday:

“We take the player that we want to take, and that we want to start our draft with, and we feel is going to kick off the maximization of our draft class,” Elias said. “Detail beyond that is something that I don’t feel like is in the interest of the organization for me to reveal, especially this week.

“But rest assured that we are going into any high pick that we have with the goal of maximizing the output of that pick itself.”

I really do not have any idea who they think is the best.  It will be fun to see a week from today.

2 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

2022 MLB Draft Top 100 prospects: Keith Law’s final rankings ahead of Round 1 - The Athletic

Law's final Top 100:

1) Jones

2) Collier

3) Johnson

4) Green

5) Lee

6) Holliday

I said this before, and I’ll say it again: I love Keith Law. He’s a great man and a moral man, respect the heck out of him but don’t trust his analysis. Johnson is not a 3. We will see who is right I guess but if Os pick Johnson, this draft will be a colossal failure.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Spot on. I agree with almost all your takes on the draft. Agree about Jones. Be fine with Holiday, Lee, Parada, Lesko (not happening I know) and Green if they feel the risk isn’t as big as it looks. Collier: I just don’t know to be honest. 

1 minute ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I said this before, and I’ll say it again: I love Keith Law. He’s a great man and a moral man, respect the heck out of him but don’t trust his analysis. Johnson is not a 3. We will see who is right I guess but if Os pick Johnson, this draft will be a colossal failure.

Look, it's gonna be ok.  The O's are gonna draft someone they have watched play, talked to and seen countless video of playing.  They will have also consulted many folks with respected opinions regarding the players.  And they will factor all of that in without much taking into consideration the hundreds of pages posted here suggesting that "elite" level talent is inexcusable to pass up.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Look, it's gonna be ok.  The O's are gonna draft someone they have watched play, talked to and seen countless video of playing.  They will have also consulted many folks with respected opinions regarding the players.  And they will factor all of that in without much taking into consideration the hundreds of pages posted here suggesting that "elite" level talent is inexcusable to pass up.  

You’re right. Os always make the right decision. Gotta run: meeting up with Matt Hobgood at the race track.