2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if you can get 30 wins out of two guys or 34 wins out of five guys wouldn't you prefer the former?

Good call, probably depends on if your internal assessment of whether your accumulated pile of talent is big enough.   Apart from being fanciful about the Correa-Elias long term relationship, some of why I feel one big chunk of spending matches well with the rosters of the next few years is those rosters are running out of space.

Granted you can always buy pitchers twice as good as Jordan Lyles, but I'd guess Decision Sciences would say the return in that market segment is unreliable.

16 minutes ago, justD said:

I was recalling this morning how weams and I would be frantically collecting information to post in the Draft Tracker thread, for two or three years that I remember.  I could in no way do that now.  I will miss seeing his expertise at keeping that post going as the draft would carry on over the course of the two (or three?) days, especially when it would get to the later rounds when you'd have to follow the feed on the website or listen to it, making sure not to miss our picks.  

Ah, the memories. 

Yes, I thought of Weams as I was building this year's tracker! He was great at this stuff.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Weams is missed. You should call it the Weams 2022 draft tracker.

Nah, having the whole forum named after him is probably more than he would've liked, even though I love it. But nah :D 

1 hour ago, MarCakes21 said:

I partly agree, but in general, isn't the goal to end up with the MOST talent, as opposed to the single BEST talent?

And I'm in the Jones camp just for reference.

You can do both.  This is what people are failing to understand (not saying you don’t, just a general comment as I see comments on here and especially social media).

Quick question, I couldn't find Tony's take on our 2021 MLB Draft, wondering if anyone can give me a link to or just a quick summary of where we spent our savings on Cowser? I know we ended up spending all of our available allocation, so a bit curious where that went...did it really all go to Creed Willems and John Rhodes (wasn't Rhodes just slightly over-slot anyways?) or were a number of picks ultimately a bit over-slot? (Norby, perhaps?) 

8 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Quick question, I couldn't find Tony's take on our 2021 MLB Draft, wondering if anyone can give me a link to or just a quick summary of where we spent our savings on Cowser? I know we ended up spending all of our available allocation, so a bit curious where that went...did it really all go to Creed Willems and John Rhodes (wasn't Rhodes just slightly over-slot anyways?) or were a number of picks ultimately a bit over-slot? (Norby, perhaps?) 

Rhodes was pretty substantial at $1.375mm in the 3rd round.

I learned recently looking back at last year that John Rhodes was the "last" NCAA Bat getting a 7-figure bonus last year.   Elias with Norby-Trimble-Rhodes kind of cleaned out a tier.

Stepping back to last year's 3rd round just now, was first time I noticed the Dodgers gave some kid from Gilman about as much of a bonus as the Orioles gave Rhodes.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2021&draft_round=3&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Rhodes was pretty substantial at $1.375mm in the 3rd round.

I learned recently looking back at last year that John Rhodes was the "last" NCAA Bat getting a 7-figure bonus last year.   Elias with Norby-Rhodes kind of cleaned out a door.

Stepping back to last year's 3rd round just now, was first time I noticed the Dodgers gave some kid from Gilman about as much of a bonus as the Orioles gave Rhodes.

What do you mean by the bolded?