Giants claim Hunter Harvey off waivers

SilverRocket

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get how this makes any sense.  Between this and Ellis, those were 2 intriguing arms for the pen making no money and you had plenty of guys to cut (and not a ton to add) before getting rid of them.

This. It makes me wonder if HH didn't agree with the input/direction he was getting on rehab and pitching repertoire?? Thinking no sinker-slider pitchers being developed indicates they have a "type" of pitcher they want to develop. Thinking of Matus before TTTP and 1st pitch strikes low and away. If he goes on to Jake A success level success doing it his own way.........

29 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

This. It makes me wonder if HH didn't agree with the input/direction he was getting on rehab and pitching repertoire?? Thinking no sinker-slider pitchers being developed indicates they have a "type" of pitcher they want to develop. Thinking of Matus before TTTP and 1st pitch strikes low and away. If he goes on to Jake A success level success doing it his own way.........

There certainly could be something more to this than just injuries.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I said it weeks ago, all the talent in the world does nothing if it cannot get on the field. We have to assume the team knows things we do not. So, the Giants take a flier on him. So what. Quit with the Yaz comps, please. In nine years here, he pitched what, 23.2 innings in Baltimore? He cannot be used two days in a row. And he was not very good when he was healthy the past two years.

I had heard he had issues with his offseason work and dedication to his craft, but that is heresay. I have no direct knowledge of that, but it might explain why he is always injured. Good luck. We need the 40 man space to have guys who can actually pitch. 

I have to think there was some behavioral issue or differences with coaches. Pure speculation but you don't get rid of a guy with his kind of arm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I have to think there was some behavioral issue or differences with coaches. Pure speculation but you don't get rid of a guy with his kind of arm.

I have heard some things over the years questioning his preparation and dedication. It isn’t an uncommon thing. Some guys don’t even like baseball. Some actually hate it. It’s a job. 

As far as his arm, are we sure he has the same stuff he showed in 2019? Maybe this wakes him up. How many teams passed on him during the waiver process? 27? Yikes.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Regarding Harvey.  I can see why they cut him but at the same I won't be suprised if Zaidi and the giants turn him into and all star reliever.

Regarding Ellis. Elias is not good at this, what do you want?

The Orioles have churned about 7 players off the 40 man?  They have a lot to add and protect.

Actually, I’m inclined to agree, I’m sure he doesn’t make decisions in a vacuum, he must have a reason, But a reason can be illogical, and his are. It’s a shame the beats won’t ask him. I wouldn’t have been surprised if Harvey didn’t survive till spring, but to let him go now, when other guys are worse, is illogical, and that’s not really a debatable point.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Two in May and one in July.

He's a perfect candidate to suddenly stay healthy, turn his latent talent into results, and generate a 30-page thread about what could have been.

He's also a perfect candidate to go on the 60 day DL after getting kennel cough from eating a mushy pear.

Either way, he's a perfect candidate.  He probably ends up President.

Pitchers still on the roster: Akin, Baumann, Fry, Krehbiel, Kremer, Kriske, Lopez*, Lowther, Mattson, Means, Scott, Sulser, Tate, A. Wells, T. Wells, Zimmermann.

Personally I think I would have jettisoned at least Krehbiel, Kriske or Mattson before Harvey.   For what it’s worth, Krehbiel and Mattson have two options remaining, Kriske and Harvey have one.

Who would you have cut before Harvey?

* Lopez comes off the 60-day DL on Sunday.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pitchers still on the roster: Akin, Baumann, Fry, Krehbiel, Kremer, Kriske, Lopez*, Lowther, Mattson, Means, Scott, Sulser, Tate, A. Wells, T. Wells, Zimmermann.

Personally I think I would have jettisoned at least Krehbiel, Kriske or Mattson before Harvey.   For what it’s worth, Krehbiel and Mattson have two options remaining, Kriske and Harvey have one.

Who would you have cut before Harvey?

* Lopez comes off the 60-day DL on Sunday.

I'm not sure any of the three stay on the 40 man this off season.