Current free agent catchers: who you got?

interloper

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Have Suzuki be essentially a coach to mentor AR and the rule 5 catcher. Then DFA Suzuki when AR comes up. I’m assuming that Suzuki would be signed to a milb deal. His incentive to sign the milb deal is that we can give him starter ABs till AR is ready. I don’t think another team will offer that. Obviously, we’d want to sign a second “vet” to an milb deal as well. Likely Wynns. 

If I were in Suzuki's shoes, I don't know if that's incentive enough for me unless there wasn't any other clear back-up job available for me. I get nearly everyday ABs for three weeks and then am released and forced to look for another gig? If it were me, I would prioritize a more secure back-up job. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jamalshw said:

If I were in Suzuki's shoes, I don't know if that's incentive enough for me unless there wasn't any other clear back-up job available for me. I get nearly everyday ABs for three weeks and then am released and forced to look for another gig? If it were me, I would prioritize a more secure back-up job. 

I agree with this. the FA catcher cupboard is bare. Severino is getting nearly $2mm to be a short-side platoon. Suzuki will get better offers than a month or two of ABs and then a guaranteed DFA 

Not a free agent, but I'd look to make a trade for William Contreras of the Braves.  He's hit real well in AAA but has had trouble in multiple tries in the majors.  Seems like he's being passed over in the Braves organization - as Shae Langaliers is now their likely catcher of the future, and they extended d/Arnaud for 2 more years and signed Manny Pina to a 2/8 contract to be their backup.  And the Braves are always looking for relievers. I know ideally you'd want a veteran to team with Adley, but Adley's so mature for a soon to be rookie, that going young with the #2 catcher might work out.   

23 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Whoever signs for the least amount of money.

Why are you so concerned about Peter Angelos' bank account?  Our payroll is already stupid low and the Angelos family is putting those profit-sharing checks right in the bank.

I'd rather we spend money and get quality players, and couldn't care less about Angelos' profit margins.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Why are you so concerned about Peter Angelos' bank account?  Our payroll is already stupid low and the Angelos family is putting those profit-sharing checks right in the bank.

I'd rather we spend money and get quality players, and couldn't care less about Angelos' profit margins.

It's not concern over the Angelos' bank account, I don't think, I believe we'd all like to spend like the Yankees or Dodgers. I'm not saying the Angelos' can't do that or afford it, it's the simple fact we know that they won't. So, as we play hypothetical GM/Executive Vice President to the President of the Angelos Family, for a team that has no chance of competing in 2022, it makes some sense to put their least amount of slim paper available down on a backup catcher who will make no difference in the end. I'm all for calling up Maverick Handley, he's supposed to be a wizard behind the plate who will never hit so why worry about him hitting now. 

We need to put our young pitchers in the best position we can to succeed.  Spending an extra million or two for a veteran catcher that can at least provide adequate defense (and better yet some mentorship) is worth every penny.  

Otherwise that million or two would just be sitting in the ol' Peter's bank account.

Suzuki will get better offers than a month or two of ABs and then a guaranteed DFA 

I'm not sure that would be the case. I doubt AR catches over 100 games next year and Suzuki would be the OD starter for however long we need to wait to get the extra year. After that Suzuki would likely still get 1-2 starts per week.

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

We need to put our young pitchers in the best position we can to succeed.  Spending an extra million or two for a veteran catcher that can at least provide adequate defense (and better yet some mentorship) is worth every penny.  

Otherwise that million or two would just be sitting in the ol' Peter's bank account.

Our young catcher will be in his best position to succeed as soon as he is called up.  He doesn’t need Crash Davis to teach him.  

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Our young catcher will be in his best position to succeed as soon as he is called up.  He doesn’t need Crash Davis to teach him.  

I said "young pitchers".  Also, even if Adley turns out to be the second coming of Jesus he still will only catch 50-70% of our games.

You don't walk into a Wal-Mart, purchase a package of toilet paper, and say "I hope the Waltons make a lot of profit on this!".  Same applies for the Angelos' and the O's.  Of all the revenue the O's get from us from ticket sales, merchandise, and watching ads; we want as much as possible to go into making the team on the field better.  Putting "whoever signs for the cheapest" on the field not only ignores a critical need, but puts more of our money into the Angelos' pockets.  Do you really for a second think that the Angelos' are going to think "Hey, we saved a 1-2 million by signing a crappy catcher for the minimum, where can we invest the money back into the team?"  Not a chance, and that is why we all despise the ownership.

56 minutes ago, yark14 said:

I said "young pitchers".  Also, even if Adley turns out to be the second coming of Jesus he still will only catch 50-70% of our games.

You don't walk into a Wal-Mart, purchase a package of toilet paper, and say "I hope the Waltons make a lot of profit on this!".  Same applies for the Angelos' and the O's.  Of all the revenue the O's get from us from ticket sales, merchandise, and watching ads; we want as much as possible to go into making the team on the field better.  Putting "whoever signs for the cheapest" on the field not only ignores a critical need, but puts more of our money into the Angelos' pockets.  Do you really for a second think that the Angelos' are going to think "Hey, we saved a 1-2 million by signing a crappy catcher for the minimum, where can we invest the money back into the team?"  Not a chance, and that is why we all despise the ownership.

The elite catchers catch 120+ games and they do so from day 1.

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2021 at 9:04 PM, Sports Guy said:

The elite catchers catch 120+ games and they do so from day 1.

Posey: 70/114 starts after call-up

Realmuto: 116 starts in first full year

Mauer: 110 starts in first full year

Molina: 111 starts in first full year

Grandal: 100 starts his first year as starter

Who are the elite catchers you have in mind?

• Upvote 1