I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Give out a bunch of stupid contracts so in three years when they actually might be competitive they're saddled with people like Sieman at 35 years old making 25 million dollars to be terrible.

I have it on good authority that there were no ill effects of the Chris Davis contract.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, owknows said:

I have it on good authority that there were no ill effects of the Chris Davis contract.

Lighting 15% of your payroll on fire, carrying dead weight on the roster, and blocking potential replacements, is not detrimental in way.

Be realistic and logical, moron.

• Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Lighting 15% of your payroll on fire, carrying dead weight on the roster, and blocking potential replacements, is not detrimental in way.

The money means very little when over 50% of your roster is making nothing.

The team doesn’t need to keep the player on the roster.  The Orioles got saved by covid for the Davis deal but he should have been cut 1-2 years before that.  It wouldn’t have changed anything.  

It’s the choice of the team to hold the player and allow that money to be an issue.  You can absorb that bad contract rather easily, if you are doing things correctly.  The Orioles are now, at least in terms of the minors and building a foundation that will be cheap.  

I repeat what I have said..I don’t think some of you are quite grasping just how cheap the payroll is going to be for years to come.

37 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And the Rule 5 Draft isn't scheduled until after a potential work stoppage. This is shaping up to be the most uneventful Orioles offseason ever. 

Not once we come out of the other end of the lockout with a salary floor and the Orioles are forced to spend money

25 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

And next offseason, they'll say the same thing.  They aren't ready yet, be patient, and pass on available good players. 

And then suck again in 2023 and say the same thing the following year. Like I said in another thread their MO is "we are 2 years away from being 2 years away"

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The money means very little when over 50% of your roster is making nothing.

The team doesn’t need to keep the player on the roster.  The Orioles got saved by covid for the Davis deal but he should have been cut 1-2 years before that.  It wouldn’t have changed anything.  

It’s the choice of the team to hold the player and allow that money to be an issue.  You can absorb that bad contract rather easily, if you are doing things correctly.  The Orioles are now, at least in terms of the minors and building a foundation that will be cheap.  

I repeat what I have said..I don’t think some of you are quite grasping just how cheap the payroll is going to be for years to come.

He should have been cut, I agree.  It would have also freed up a roster spot, allowed for some more flexibility, too.

But if we're talking about "cost" here, I think the additional cost of the Davis contract plays a part of what you're seeing now...fear to spend in free agency due to making a bad decision.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It was actually sarcasm in support of your position.

Definitely too hot in here

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

He should have been cut, I agree.  It would have also freed up a roster spot, allowed for some more flexibility, too.

But if we're talking about "cost" here, I think the additional cost of the Davis contract plays a part of what you're seeing now...fear to spend in free agency due to making a bad decision.  

Well sure…their own stupidity is their biggest fear.   But that doesn’t mean it should happen.  

The most expensive players on this roster, a few years from now, are Mullins and Means (this assumes they are here btw) and they like won’t even be making 15M total between them.

After that, who is going to be making any real money?  You are going to have a team full of guys making under 1M.  

The one thing I feel pretty good about is that the Os will not be doing anything stupid in terms of signing overpriced, dime a dozen relievers or poor bench signings..ie, no Jay Payton, Baez, etc…type deals.

So you probably have at least 8 spots on the bench and in the pen where they are also making no money.  

They have so much flexibility long term with this payroll.  The reality is that this payroll doesn’t start jumping u til we get into the Adley, GRod, et al arbitration years and that is so far away.   And then you have the guys behind them who won’t be hitting the later arb years at the same time.

This is a good thing.  This is what we should be looking forward to.  Instead people are cool with just sitting around and waiting and tanking.  I don’t understand it anymore.  I understood it prior to 2021.  But now, they are set up well and people are cool with completely flushing Adley and GRod years away.  And then some call it logical.  It’s absolutely hysterical.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

That's why I have trouble getting on board with rooting for losses over the summer, even though objectively, I know it is "best" for the team so they get a high pick. 

I'm thoroughly and completely done with that shit, I was on board with it as a baseball theorycrafting exercise for a few years, but I am starting to get old and would like to see the Orioles win more than 60 games sometime in the next decade.  My hope continues to dwindle.

• Upvote 2