I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

$20M above MLBTR projection. 12/$400M for Correa? 

Like Semien yesterday, Rangers Seager has also beaten ESPN Kiley's dollar guarantee guess by ~50-60%.

Correa guessed at 300 only needs a hair over 40% extra to leapfrog Trout's 426.  

12 x 35.5 would I guess put it just about even.

8 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Are we really in that era though.  Yes there is a few guys that are outliers but look at the results altogether.  There is record number of guys on injury lists in all different sports.  Lots of guys on disabled list throughout the MLB. NFL has the same issue with guys going on the IR.  The same in NBA with guys out or needing rest during the season.  I agree you may get guys returning a bit faster but the amount of injuries in sports seems to be increasing and the average age in those sports is also declining and pushing older guys out of league earlier. 

I don't know if average age is declining and pushing older guys out of the league earlier due to the way they hold up.  In baseball you can have an older player, 37 or 38 years old who's making a few million based off his name or you can have a 22, 23 year old prospect with some upside instead.  

Sure there are some outliers and Scherzer might be one of those guys.  They can certainly recover faster.  But there are still players playing at very high levels into their mid 30s no matter what the sport.  Whether teams are jumping to give them longer contracts is a different point altogether.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I would have thought 4-5 years for Semien but maybe at a higher AAV than what we got.

Seager?  I would have thought 6-8 years at close to 30M a year.

They blew past those numbers.

They’ll be sorry — eventually.   Unless the whole salary structure blows up.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They’ll be sorry — eventually.   Unless the whole salary structure blows up.

Maybe..it depends on what else they do.

Think of it this way.  

Let’s say the Os signed Correa tomorrow to a 10/375 deal and then signed Freddie Freeman to a 6/180 deal.

Thats roughly 70 million a year for 2 players starting in 2021.  

How much is the rest of the roster going to make?  How much will the rest of the roster be in 3 years?  5 years?  

2 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Interesting quote from the Rangers at the end of the season re: AROD's contract and their current approach to signing good players to supplement their young core:

“The size of the contract that was given to Alex at the time, that wasn't so much the issue,” Daniels said at the Rangers end-of-season press conference. “It was that it was not consistent with the rest of the plan. There was not a continuing commitment to be able to build, whether that was to promote young players and develop them or to be able to add other key players externally. That didn’t really happen.

“We're not looking to solve one player to be the finishing piece. But we're looking for players that can be part of helping to turn this around and really launch us to where we want to go and also that can help our young players develop as they get up here.”

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/corey-seager-rangers-deal 

Disclaimer: I think the Seager deal was ridiculous.  It is the process that I like, not the contracts themselves.

I'll finish reading the rest but I have to chime in here:

1) I had to come here and see the reactions to the Rangers' signings, in particular.

2) I hate Jon Daniels.  He's a grade-A moron that made one good trade in his life- and it was the direct result of the fact they did continue to develop- far better than he ever has- in that time period.

Michael Young, Hank Blalock, and Mark Texiera, Travis Hafner would all debut for the Rangers within 2 years of Rodrguez signing.  Looks like a pretty good core without A-Rod.

As someone who lives in North Texas two more to think about:

1) This spending spree is financed by the taxpayers of the region who got gauged to build two stadiums in less than 30 years; one of which was a billion dollar monstrosity that has all the charm of a sound stage. (That's just for the Rangers.  Not even mentioning the Cowboys.

2) They will stick stink.  They will be lucky to go .500 next year, and both of these contracts are awful and will hamstring this franchise for years into the future.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Think of it this way.  

Let’s say the Os signed Correa tomorrow to a 10/375 deal and then signed Freddie Freeman to a 6/180 deal.

How much is the rest of the roster going to make?  How much will the rest of the roster be in 3 years?  5 years?  

I’m just not convinced either player will live up to his contract over the full period.   But in the next 2-3 years they both may.  Not sure if Texas has enough around them to go from 60 wins to a playoff team in that time frame, though I haven’t really studied their situation.  

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Think of it this way.  

But then those are your free agents.  For the whole Rutchsman and crew run.  Will it kill you?  Maybe not.  Is it ideal?That's were the objections come in.  Both for particular players and the particular timing.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know if average age is declining and pushing older guys out of the league earlier due to the way they hold up.  In baseball you can have an older player, 37 or 38 years old who's making a few million based off his name or you can have a 22, 23 year old prospect with some upside instead.  

Sure there are some outliers and Scherzer might be one of those guys.  They can certainly recover faster.  But there are still players playing at very high levels into their mid 30s no matter what the sport.  Whether teams are jumping to give them longer contracts is a different point altogether.  

Steroids or the lack thereof.  That's a huge factor for this phenomena in MLB the last decade+.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

MLB, IMO, has decided to get steroid like results after banning PEDs...they want big time offense, but they know they can't allow guys to keep juicing.  So they got a rabbit ball instead.  

They're always messing with the game conditions, generally to enhance offense as an appeal to the average fan.

I'm not sure the way out of this current iteration of MLB though.  I do know it isn't nearly as fun to watch.

25 minutes ago, Pickles said:

But then those are your free agents.  For the whole Rutchsman and crew run.  Will it kill you?  Maybe not.  Is it ideal?That's were the objections come in.  Both for particular players and the particular timing.

Fwiw, I don’t think it’s ideal.  I can’t say I would be pissed if they did those deals because it would be exciting but I think it would be a poor use resources.

That being said, you can do sign those deals and have those guys suck 4-6 years into them and still field a team that can win a title.  Your margin for error is lessened but you can still do it if you are smart.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

MLB, IMO, has decided to get steroid like results after banning PEDs...they want big time offense, but they know they can't allow guys to keep juicing.  So they got a rabbit ball instead.  

I think folks are still using.  Not as many and more discretely.  Not everyone that got caught failed a test.  I don't see MLB having the same incentive to improve their testing as the guys creating substances have.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

They're always messing with the game conditions, generally to enhance offense as an appeal to the average fan.

I'm not sure the way out of this current iteration of MLB though.  I do know it isn't nearly as fun to watch.

3 outcomes?  I agree.  Hard to go back when pitchers are throwing high 90s and triple digits and batters are gearing up for launch angles.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Fwiw, I don’t think it’s ideal.  I can’t say I would be pissed if they did those deals because it would be exciting but I think it would be a poor use resources.

That being said, you can do sign those deals and have those guys suck 4-6 years into them and still field a team that can win a title.  Your margin for error is lessened but you can still do it if you are smart.

Isn't it smart to increase your margin for error?