Meanwhile, back at the ranch…in Texas

HowAboutThat

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have consistently been opposed to long free agent signings. Even Manny, who is maybe young enough to have a fully productive 10 years, I wouldn’t of signed him. Instead, I would’ve traded him two years earlier.

So I definitely think the Rangers are stupid: they’re not going to have a good team, but they are going to have an expensive team. They spent $500 million on two guys in the lineup but they still have some glaring spots in the rotation.

Better them than us.

I'm not convinced they'll be good, even as soon as next year.  They look like a .500 team to me, without much pitching.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I have consistently been opposed to long free agent signings. Even Manny, who is maybe young enough to have a fully productive 10 years, I wouldn’t of signed him. Instead, I would’ve traded him two years earlier.

So I definitely think the Rangers are stupid: they’re not going to have a good team, but they are going to have an expensive team. They spent $500 million on two guys in the lineup but they still have some glaring spots in the rotation.

Better them than us.

Their payroll is at about $124 million right now, according to this. That's not an expensive team, especially for the 5th largest media market in the country.

We'll see if it works for them, but they're definitely a much better team overnight and have positioned themselves well for the arrivals of Taveras, Jung, and Leiter. And isn't that the point? The goal of the game is to win the World Series. There's no trophy for most-efficient-use-of-payroll. 

Just now, Porky said:

Their payroll is at about $124 million right now, according to this. That's not an expensive team, especially for the 5th largest media market in the country.

We'll see if it works for them, but they're definitely a much better team overnight and have positioned themselves well for the arrivals of Taveras, Jung, and Leiter. And isn't that the point? The goal of the game is to win the World Series. There's no trophy for most-efficient-use-of-payroll. 

Of course, my feeling with these signings is that they have spent too much money to improve to few positions. The angels will forever be the perfect example of too much money tied up in to one player.

The Rangers management right now is stressing that this doesn’t mean they will contend this year, And, my golly Gee, if you spend half $1 billion and don’t plan to contend this year, that’s probably money That should’ve been allocated differently.

Just now, Philip said:

Of course, my feeling with these signings is that they have spent too much money to improve to few positions. The angels will forever be the perfect example of too much money tied up in to one player.

The Rangers management right now is stressing that this doesn’t mean they will contend this year, And, my golly Gee, if you spend half $1 billion and don’t plan to contend this year, that’s probably money That should’ve been allocated differently.

That's funny because that isn't the Angels' problem.

Bad contracts is part of it sure, but not one in particular.  No one bad contract is going to be enough to keep the Angels from being competitive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Not really.   They’ve signed both for 7+ years.   They’ll be around when their younger core matures.   Whether they’ll start to go downhill, and how fast, is the big question.  

From MLB TR:

“Taking nothing away from Kiner-Falefa or Simmons, of course, as they would both bring some value to the Yankees’ shortstop position.  While neither player excelled at the plate in 2021, both are tremendous fielders, and Simmons obviously has a track record as one of the better defenders in the history of the shortstop position.

As per the Outs Above Average (16) and Defensive Runs Saved (15) metrics, Simmons kept up that spectacular form over his 1091 2/3 innings at shortstop last year.  The UZR/150 metric delivered only a -1.1 score for Simmons, however, while Kiner-Falefa also had an outlier in the form of a -7 OAA.  Kiner-Falefa otherwise graded well in his first season as a full-time shortstop, with a +10 DRS and +1.1 UZR/150 over 1360 innings.

Kiner-Falefa also won a Gold Glove as a third baseman in 2020, so the Yankees would have some extra flexibility in how they chose to deploy him in the lineup. “

That is an upgrade from whom we currently have.