Serious Interest in Jon Garland

BillySmith

With adding a guy like this, and trading Olson, I can almost hear Kranitz at the meetings in FL after the season telling everyone that none of the youngsters who pitched last year should be considered part of the future. It seems like its Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, or bust.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With adding a guy like this, and trading Olson, I can almost hear Kranitz at the meetings in FL after the season telling everyone that none of the youngsters who pitched last year should be considered part of the future. It seems like its Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, or bust.

Well, it is mainly true.

In light of the fact that Garland is a Type B free agent who does not cost us a draft pick, it's OK with me if they sign him. He's basically Kris Benson except that he's younger and more durable. We really need someone who can go out and toss ~200 innings a couple of years in a row, and Garland fills that bill. He's thrown 190+ innings seven years in a row and has had 32-33 starts each of those years. Frankly, if he does that, his ERA is secondary to me. Protect the bullpen, be reliable and hold the fort so that our younger pitchers aren't rushed. And by the way, I'd like some of our younger pitchers to see a pitcher who walks less than 3 batters per 9 innings like Garland does. I say all this realizing that his K rate is in decline and he was hit fairly hard last year.

Well, it is mainly true.

And I guess I'm good with that. I've invested a lot of hope in Cabrera, Liz and Olson (not to mention Bedard, Penn and probably a couple I can't even remember), so it's tough to let go.

God, to have a real starting 5 would be scary. It's been years and years.

I'm not opposed to picking up Garland for 2-3 years as a stop gap who can actually provide innings and not walk (ridiculously a la DCab) the ball park. But he has to come cheap. I doubt he does, though. Something like a 2/12 or a 3/15 would be fine by me.
He's certainly gonna get more than that.

3/$24M at the absolute minimum, and something as high as 4/$44M wouldn't shock me.

I'm confidant that he will price himself out of the range that MacPhail is comfortable paying him, which is good for the Orioles.

This is not a surprise. Garland is a guy they've had their eyes on for quite some time. Take him, Wolf, Byrd, Looper and throw them in a hat. Pick one and be done with it. Just don't pay too much.

...and don't let it be your "big" offseason move.

Here's another thought. The O's could save themselves a lot of money by trading for Marquis, especially if the Cubs take back 4 million as has been suggested. Marquis and Garland are very close. The only difference being that Garland has pitched exclusivily in the Al and Marquis in the NL.

Archived