Orioles announce MiL coaches

Frobby

Gotta wonder if Buck Britton is being looked at as a guy who could replace Hyde at some point.  

I think Hyde is probably fine and should be given an opportunity to manage this team after they bring up prospects and if/when they decide to spend some money.  He's paid his dues.  

But if not, I can see Buck Britton being a lead candidate for the next manager job in Baltimore.

• Upvote 1

(I was on weams' laptop checking his emails, and he also received a "For Immediate Release" email about this from the Tides PR guy.  I almost did a cut-and-paste there, only it would've been from weams' account.  That would probably get some attention lol)

When reading the release you posted, I was happy to see a development coach from Tampa, Joshua Rodrigues!  Seems to me you can't go wrong getting some insights from someone who has worked in their organization, and whoever did the hiring certainly must've inquired about what he might bring with him from their development approach. 

However, when I re-read the release that the Tides sent, there was no mention of him.  Perhaps I'll email them and see what they can tell me, but I was disappointed that he wasn't on their list. 

I'll add these details from the Tides on Justin Ramsey:

Justin Ramsey is entering his first season as Norfolk’s Pitching Coach after serving as the Pitching Coach for Double-A Bowie in 2021. The 2022 season will be his third as a coach in professional baseball, where he was the pitching coach for Delmarva in 2019 and an Orioles Alternate Site coach in 2020. In 2019, Delmarva led the South Atlantic League in ERA (3.00), WHIP (1.18), and strikeouts (1,389), and allowed the fewest home runs (67). Under Ramsey’s guidance, Delmarva set the South Atlantic League record for the most strikeouts in a single season. A 2004 All-American hurler at Oral Roberts University, Ramsey began his coaching career as an assistant coach at Sacramento City College for five seasons from 2007 to 2011, spent three seasons as Pitching Coach at Long Beach State from 2012 to 2014, and then as pitching coach for Nova Southeastern University from 2015 to 2018 before joining the Orioles organization.

• Thanks 1

On a personal note, one of my oldest friends is on that list!  Scott and I have been friends since way back in elementary school, and he's now the Minor League Medical Coordinator.  Not bad for a kid who started his craft with the Westminster High School football team as a freshman!  Super proud of him.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

On a personal note, one of my oldest friends is on that list!  Scott and I have been friends since way back in elementary school, and he's now the Minor League Medical Coordinator.  Not bad for a kid who started his craft with the Westminster High School football team as a freshman!  Super proud of him.

Very cool.  Congrats to him.  And hopefully he’ll give you some opinions on players worth following.  

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Actually, one of my coaching connections lost his job this off season. Tom Eller's contract was not renewed. Does anyone know why? I obviously don't feel like asking him directly. I am sure he is pretty devastated.

18 hours ago, justD said:

When reading the release you posted, I was happy to see a development coach from Tampa, Joshua Rodrigues  

So it might not be related to the Rays at all.  Which might make some people happier ;) John Stanley from the Tides tells me he didn't include info on him because his baseball career is "still young." He sent me Rodrigues' LinkedIn and twitter links for reference. 

In his LinkedIn bio, Joshua Rodrigues describes himself as, "[an] Instructional Technology Coach with multiple years of coaching and teaching experience" with a skillset that includes "Masters of Educ. Degree in Instructional Technology, Data to Inform Coaching, R Studio, SQL, Create, Curious."

Turns out he's developed something called the Hitting Dashboard. Here's a link to the tool which can be used for individual hitters or entire teams, across MLB.

https://joshua-rodrigues.shinyapps.io/HitterDashBoard/

It's fun to look through, but the key thing, I think, is that he was likely hired to be one the liaisons between data <--> coach/player, at AAA. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/26/2022 at 5:12 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta wonder if Buck Britton is being looked at as a guy who could replace Hyde at some point.  

I think Hyde is probably fine and should be given an opportunity to manage this team after they bring up prospects and if/when they decide to spend some money.  He's paid his dues.  

But if not, I can see Buck Britton being a lead candidate for the next manager job in Baltimore.

Wouldn't mind that cause I like Buck, but I think he needs more experience. Hyde was a minor league career guy and he spent 10-15 years as a coach with several at the MLB level. Buck is certainly on a path to be a major league manager, but next logical path would be a MLB coach in some capacity. He is too young and inexperienced. It'd be a heck of a leap and risk.

36 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

Wouldn't mind that cause I like Buck, but I think he needs more experience. Hyde was a minor league career guy and he spent 10-15 years as a coach with several at the MLB level. Buck is certainly on a path to be a major league manager, but next logical path would be a MLB coach in some capacity. He is too young and inexperienced. It'd be a heck of a leap and risk.

The O’s have shown a willingness to take chances on young managers and coaches.   It’s probably too soon for Britton to be an immediate candidate for major league manager (I believe he’s only managed three seasons in the minors, plus one year as a coach and the Covid year).   But I could see it in a couple of years if he continues to get good reviews.   

Meanwhile, I support giving Brandon Hyde more to work with and seeing how that goes.   

So, in search of some of these coaches, can someone tell me what exactly a development coach does?

The reason I ask, is the one I previously mentioned with the mullet and mustache, Billy Facteau's experience seems to be no more than 30 games at Lyon University as a teammate of Shayne Fontana. He is a 2021 graduate. I get he is listed as a P/OF, so maybe he's experienced as both, but....what exactly does a development coach do? 

NVM, looks like answered in previous post about Rodrigues.

Edited by jarman86