Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

He’s got really good stuff. Fastball seemed a tick slow last night (93-95, when he averages 95) and he doesn’t have great command of it, but still better than ML average. If he could improve his changeup, he’s a legit 4 pitch SP. I think the stamina later in games will improve the more he gets used to those situations. I’m a big fan of his potential. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bradish was on his game tonight. Probably the best we've seen his slider tonight as he threw it 51% of the time with  45% WHIFF rate. It will be interesting to see if throwing that many sliders will affect his next start. That's the most sliders I can remember seeing from him. Either way, pretty impressive start.

• Upvote 3

When a pitcher's stuff is that good and then has a start like this, it's really tempting to think something has finally clicked.

In terms of (perhaps meaningless) intangibles, early in the game, he got a big strikeout and was, understandably, very hyped up. I loved the energy, and commented as much, but it also struck me as someone who was surprised they were doing as well as they were. After that, though, he turned into a pure ice man. And no melodramatics in the dugout when things got hairy in the 9th. 

That's all to say, I like his stuff, and I like his composure. Seems like he could be a cult-favorite Bird. 

Edited by Remember The Alomar

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Anyone surprised when we see these kinds of starts Rutschman is behind the dish?

That and him blocking EVERY ball in the dirt with runners on.  Palmer does point it out everytime that a year ago those balls were going to the backstop.  And he is correct.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Anyone surprised when we see these kinds of starts Rutschman is behind the dish?

Nope. I know it's not all just Adley, but the Orioles are playing around .600 ball since he joined the team.

There might not be another player in baseball who would have the same impact considering the Orioles catching troubles. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Bradish was on his game tonight. Probably the best we've seen his slider tonight as he threw it 51% of the time with  45% WHIFF rate. It will be interesting to see if throwing that many sliders will affect his next start. That's the most sliders I can remember seeing from him. Either way, pretty impressive start.

I know I'm old school but I freaking HATE that they couldnt let the kid pitch the ninth....walk someone, ok, take him out. But hell, he was terrific, never labored late in the game... and only at 96 pitches. I'm sure I'm in the minority, and I understand why they do it...but I dont like it....and never will.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I know I'm old school but I freaking HATE that they couldnt let the kid pitch the ninth....walk someone, ok, take him out. But hell, he was terrific, never labored late in the game... and only at 96 pitches. I'm sure I'm in the minority, and I understand why they do it...but I dont like it....and never will.

Yep…..Omazing Start! 

But, it would’ve been cool. I’d hate to see him lose the game late.

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

But that’s why we pay the big bucks to the closer for.   Oh wait….

Breaking Brad? Great command today. 

At 97 pitches I was hoping to see him go for the CG. As it turned Hyde managed to burn two of our A Squad relievers to get three outs. At least we get Felix back today.

Exciting to see Brandish, Kremer, and Akin all performing closer to expectations and turning into viable long term pieces.