Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

On 7/3/2022 at 9:16 PM, Frobby said:

Sure, but I’d rather let him have his shot than just hand his spot to Harvey. 

With double headers, second half fatigue, wells inning limit, my guess is there are enough innings to go around 

11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Harvey with a 7-inning outing at Norfolk. Allowed 1 run on 5 hits, walking 3 and striking out 5 over 92 pitches.

It was a 7-inning game, part of a double header, I am curious whether he would have gone back out for the 8th otherwise.

Only run allowed was a home run by Christin Stewart.

Harvey is a tough old bird.   He was hit in the head with a line drive last night, got up and kept pitching.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if Harvey has any kind of opt-out clause in his contract, or an informal understanding that he will be released at his request if he’s not in the majors by date X.

He was probably just happy that anyone at all signed him at the time

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

More like Joe Saunders starting and winning the Wild Card game vs. Texas in 2012.

Still the greatest night of my Orioles fandom.  

Joe had a brutal track record pitching in Arlington. He goes out, gets it done. O's win. What a game. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, crowmst3k! said:

Joe had a brutal track record pitching in Arlington. He goes out, gets it done. O's win. What a game. 

So glad to know that! One thing people tend to forget is that Joe followed that up with an equally strong performance in the Game Four 2-1 extra-inning victory of the subsequent series against the Y's: 5.67 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned run. Following by 7.33 shutout innings by the bullpen, in the Bronx. May such times return!

30 minutes ago, crowmst3k! said:

Wow, just looked it up: 1-9, 7.87 ERA in Arlington. But nonetheless--Magic! Or a hero.

1 hour ago, crowmst3k! said:

The feeling I felt when that last high fly was hanging in the air just waiting to be caught by McLouth was indescribable.   The most cathartic moment of my entire baseball fandom.   Wish I could’ve bottled it.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not a bad problem to have currently. We could always spot start him after the ASB to give the rest of the SP an extra day of rest. 

This is what I’m thinking.  13 games in a row, an off day, then 17 in a row before an off day on Aug 22.   Strategic placement of Voth and Harvey during those stretches really keeps the toll off the top 4 going into those meaningful Sept. games.