Yusniel Diaz 2022

UMDTerrapins

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Ultimately, it takes top talent depth to build the org.  He's given hints at the top talent piece.  But with him, it feels like we can't even count him as depth.  

I wonder if he could be a piece in a larger trade package.  He's not the type of guy I would be trading for if I were building an org.  But maybe a small/mid-market trade partner would see him as balancing out losing a higher rated prospect to get some bullpen help or a Santander?

I think this is most likely. The size of the piece he is will vary a bit depending on whether he's healthy and producing for the next month+, or in the offseason.

The O's are going to have to start turning some guys into pitching acquisitions. Diaz is a logical 2nd/3rd/4th piece in a deal.

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

No apparent reason? 1.000 OPS in a small sample is an excellent reason. With Stowers seemingly ready and Cowser and Kjerstad in the pipeline, I wonder what Elias has in mind for Diaz. Maybe a prospect-for-prospect trade candidate? 

Trade him for a pitcher that can't stay healthy!  Diaz's value has to be minimal at best now.  Sad that he is the main piece the O's got for Manny.  Dodgers played the O's on that trade.

On 6/22/2022 at 7:34 AM, emmett16 said:

I have randomly become a fan of this guy for no apparent reason.  You can see the talent is in there.  Get this man to a yoga studio and try and find a way to keep him on the field, would be fantastic if he could realize his talent.  The power is legit.  

I’m a fan - I root like hell for all the Cuban guys. I just want to see him have a chance in the show and stay healthy. I’ve never read a single thing about his attitude or approach and itt sucks that he was mashing in ST and to start the year.

Whats his contract situation? I can always find stuff on the MLB guys but no luck for minors.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Trade him for a pitcher that can't stay healthy!  Diaz's value has to be minimal at best now.  Sad that he is the main piece the O's got for Manny.  Dodgers played the O's on that trade.

The Orioles played themselves on that trade by holding on to Manny way too long. If they had been realistic about their chances of re-signing him he should have been gone in the 2017-18 offseason at the latest. 

1 hour ago, vab said:

The Orioles played themselves on that trade by holding on to Manny way too long. If they had been realistic about their chances of re-signing him he should have been gone in the 2017-18 offseason at the latest. 

Kremer just had a really good start last night. Diaz just has to stay healthy. Luckily for him our 40 man situation has had the flexibility to have these injured seasons. The guy just needs to stay healthy so we can figure out what we have. 

1 minute ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I’d like to think that his miserable 2021 stats show that he tried to play through injuries, because wow was he bad last year! So if the talent and desire are there, hopefully he’ll luck into done health and show what he can do. 

The truth is that he has made almost no progress in the almost 4 years he has been here.  Diaz has been here longer than Elias and hasn't done anything.

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kremer just had a really good start last night. Diaz just has to stay healthy. Luckily for him our 40 man situation has had the flexibility to have these injured seasons. The guy just needs to stay healthy so we can figure out what we have. 

We know exactly what we have.  We have s guy that can't stay healthy and can't make one of the worst major league teams in the league.  Other teams know this as well.  Our only option is to let him play himself into a call up to see if he can improve his grade stock.  Right now he will bring nothing in a trade . And there is a group of younger guys in the system that is paying him up.  It's now or never for Diaz in this organization. 

Just now, Yossarian said:

We know exactly what we have.  We have s guy that can't stay healthy and can't make one of the worst major league teams in the league.  Other teams know this as well.  Our only option is to let him play himself into a call up to see if he can improve his grade stock.  Right now he will bring nothing in a trade . And there is a group of younger guys in the system that is paying him up.  It's now or never for Diaz in this organization. 

Passing him up, that should say

25 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

You're blaming him for not being able to make one of the worst teams in the league?

Just like Adley "Couldn't make" them last year?  Just like Grayson and Gunner "Can't make it" this year?

You act like it is somehow in his hands.

Our GM has shown a tendency to hold guys back.

Yes he's had injury issues.  Whose fault is that?  Is it something he does?  Something the team isn't doing right?  Bad luck?  Some combination?

30 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

A player who was selected after Diaz was traded to the O's, Stowers, has already had a taste of the majors.  Diaz was already the 65th? prospect in the minors at the time of the trade.  Some guys want to judge Elias on less than 4 years, but 4 years is not enough time to expect Diaz to contribute in the majors?

• 2 weeks later...