Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

Well, this really sucks the big wazoo.   

I remember when we had Bedard, I always was excited on the day he was going to pitch.  The team stunk, but on his day, our chances were good.  Same with Mussina his final few years when the team was bad.  I have really been looking forward to being excited to see Rodriguez every fifth day.   Heck, I was even enjoying following his games on milb.com.   

Now it looks like we’re not going to get that enjoyment until September at the earliest.    That just blows the big one.  Really, really depressing.   

40 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

The part that bothers me is Elias' comment that GR "could" start next year in the rotation. Could? SMDH. I'll assume his rehab goes according to plan, but if he's not in the opening day 2022 rotation, that's just crazy. 

You know if he can push back the clock he will.

Rob and Steve on the pre-game show with the Opening Day talking points.

I suppose its possible - just like data on college bats, the Economic Analyst will get a view of 2022's outcomes of the performances of Opening Day roster-makers, and the ensuing draft picks awarded.    To be weighed against letting him have a little more 2023 AAA polish and improved odds of club control of his 2029.

I believe Elias would have to modify his previously articulated 100-pitches check box in that scenario.

Certainly the great unknowable psychobabble these recent AAA turns is has he been pitching angry?

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s a good thing they have been so careful with him and helped him avoid a major setback.

I know it’s been discussed plenty on this board, but there continues to be little to know medical evidence supporting the benefit of limiting the current year’s workload based on the prior year’s workload. As stated in a 2015 study published in The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness: 

“Restricting the number of innings young Major League Baseball pitchers throw does not prevent injuries, according to new research. The study also found that gradually increasing the total number of innings pitched per season has no effect on young MLB pitchers' risk of future injury.”

Rather, the two things that seem to increase the risk of pitching injury is ramping up too quickly at the start of the season and year-round pitching (the latter being more of an issue in youth/amateur baseball).

I think part of the reason teams tend to follow this unsupported approach is based on the perceived need to do something.  Unfortunately, pitching injuries seemingly occur at the same rate regardless of the approach.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/will-an-innings-limit-in-2021-actually-reduce-injury-risk-for-pitchers/?amphtml

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150406121354.htm

https://chicagoshoulderdoc.com/site/wp-content/uploads/How-many-innings-can-we-throw_-does-workload-influence-injury-risk-in-Major-League-Baseball_-An-analysis-of-professional-starting-pitchers-between-2010-and-2015.pdf

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Don’t shut him down. Let him throw those last 3-6 starts.

If he can start a throwing progression in August, he’d still have to make rehab starts in September (this is true for every pitcher rehab in every org) before coming up. Is it really worth it for 1-2 mob starts? Or is it better to really make sure it heals properly and doesn’t linger, and just bring him back next year?

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  I'm sure Elias will kick the tires.  WS will be asking for package headed by one of Holliday, Mayo or Basallo.  Maybe price will come down in the offseason.
    • Suarez is probably going to have to go back to the pen. We just don’t have enough arms there to make it through the season, especially with having very few relievers who can pitch more than 1 inning. Even though Suarez has been the much better pitcher than Kremer, he gives you no length. He is the basic definition of a “5 and dive” pitcher.  I guess they could try Kremer as a back end reliever given his strike out stuff and penchant for not being able to go through a lineup a third time. However, the downside to that is his susceptibility to the long ball.
    • This is Crochet's first full year back from TJS after 12 IP last year. You'd have to think if you are trading for him, it's not for this year, but next year as he's likely only got a few more starts left him if he's handled responsibly, which he should be, coming back from TJS. He's under control through the 2026 season and there is value in that even though he's arb eligible and will likely get a nice bump in salary.
    • Luzardo screams "flames out in a few years" to me. No thanks, or at least for what he'll cost. Robert has played literally one full season of baseball in his entire life. Again, too much risk and no thanks. Crochet would be a good target, because we get him for 2 1/2 years and is an elite lefty. Given where CHW are, a package with Kjerstad and one of our young pitchers (headlining) makes sense for both teams.  If we are forced to effectively give up on Mullins or Hays (either BC of injury or general suckiness), Taylor Ward does make sense. His name has been tossed around a lot. His splits playing against AL East teams kinda scare me, but he's a RH bat that can play good defensive OF and under team control for a few years and probably won't cost much. As for bullpen arms, this seems like the hardest to predict. CHW doesn't really have anybody pitching well there. The Marlins have our old friend Tanner Scott, but he isn't anything near a sure thing like other experienced closers. Mason Miller will cost too much. Chapman may make sense if DC is out. As a 36 year old rental he won't cost as much, which will be important if we go all in for a starter. His wildness will make our blood boil but he still has the swing and miss stuff and obviously a ton of playoff experience. Maybe Beeks from COL? Another lefty bullpen rental.
    • I was against the idea of a Crochet addition before the Bradish injury because I didn’t see the need. Now, I’m all for it. He would be a gamble but a much better buy than Luzardo who is not pitching well at all this season. He (Luzardo) would be the kind of non-impact move that we tried last year, that blew up in our faces.  On the other hand Robert is more of a luxury move than a need. IMO the needs are now top end starting pitcher (#2/3 type) AND shut down reliever. Anything addition beyond that is gravy. The priorities are pitching.
    • I think a RH bat is all we need offensively. I’d look at JD Martinez. 
    • How do other teams have ANY leverage? It’s not like Elias is forced to deal with them. If he was only dealing with one yea they would have leverage because the Orioles have a need on the roster. But because there are MULTIPLE with MULTIPLE players he can move on from any team and they will get nothing from us. Those other teams are incentivized to move their players JUST AS MUCH as we are incentivized to add. NOBODY is getting Westburg (or even asking for him at this point) or ANY OTHER MAINSTAY Major Leaguer of the roster. That’s not how the trade deadline works. As I mentioned nobody is going to the Yankees and saying give us Gil, Soto, Judge, Rodon, etc. Nobody is asking the Dodgers for Betts, Freeman, Ohtani, etc. Teams who are rebuilding/selling are asking for prospects. Oakland and the Chicago White Sox are not one player or even one year away. Guys who are already established now (even young ones like Jordan Westburg) do nothing for them in their phase of rebuilding.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now