O's, Royals / Tigers Difference

oriolediehard

56 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yeah it’s definitely a throw away season.

I get that a total tear down is necessary and will take many years. The problem I have is communication. Elias and his team have really not done that at all. There’s no appeal to fans to say this is where we’re at, this is how long it should take to get there etc. Just offseason after offseason of bare minimum signings and making no effort to give us at least a watchable ML product. There’s just no excuse for Watkins or A Wells to be making a start the first time through the starting rotation. I’m disgusted that they’re not trying to put a ML product on the field for the 4th straight year. 

Matt Harvey hasn't had enough time to get ready yet!

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I wonder whether bringing up Rutschman, G-Rod and a couple others will have that effect. A lot of very good players take most or all of a season, sometimes even longer, to find their footing in the major leagues. I think it's quite possible that this season with the Orioles Rutschman is strong defensively and shows some power, but hits for a low average and strikes out a lot, and G-Rod looks tantalizingly good in some of his outings but gets knocked around in others. If that sort of things happens, I wonder whether casual O's fans, having expected these guys to be instant stars, will drift away even further.

Just looking for stuff to worry about, I guess, and there's plenty of material on this team. 

I don't know, I think even casual O's fans have been through enough rebuilds that they understand it takes time. I'd imagine the arrival of Rutschman and G-Rod provides a boost.

As far as fan engagement, I think the O's biggest problem is this team has no character. The personalities are all kind of basic. And on top of it, they're a really really bad baseball team. At the end of the day, baseball fandom is about entertainment, and this team really doesn't have anything going for it in that department.

In previous years when the O's were bad, there were at least some veteran players like Bordick or Conine to give fans some kind of emotional connection to care about them. Adam Jones was a big personality that at least gave those 09-11 teams some swagger. Buck came in and changed everything.

Right now, Hyde is pretty bad behind the mic and is really hard to connect to. The roster has been pretty transient and no one is here long enough to get connected to as a fan. There aren't really any fun personalities on the team. Mancini's extension is such a big thing for everyone because he's basically the only guy in the entire organization most fans even feel strongly about. 

And on top of it, Elias and the organization have made decisions like robots instead of people. They're cancelling Fan Fest, they've alienated former players, the new Camden Yards wall is a really weird move whether you like it or not, they're not giving Tony press credentials after he's run one of the biggest O's sites for years....

Just all really weird stuff.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

In the last few years, the Royals, Tigers and the O's were all bad teams 100 or more loss seasons. Why has the Tigers, / the Royals, even the Marlins improved so much based on wins and the O's stay the same?  Also why is Brandon Hyde on his 4th year when he has not lost less than 100? 

Have the Tigers really improved quicker or just started a year earlier?  Detroit had their 3 ~100 loss seasons starting in 2017.    Last year for the Tigers was what I hope the Orioles follow through on this year.  High draft picks from those horrible teams made thier debut and they ran a lot of young players out there and got better as the year progressed.  

• Upvote 1

Up until this year, I have been pleased with the process. However,  Year 4 of rebuild should be more transactional with trades at the major league level Ala the Rays and more toe dipping into the mid level free agent market.  No excuse for such poor starting pitching.  I can accept the #5 up for grabs but not Lyles as a 2 and 3-5 up for grabs.  

16 hours ago, geschinger said:

Have the Tigers really improved quicker or just started a year earlier?  Detroit had their 3 ~100 loss seasons starting in 2017.    Last year for the Tigers was what I hope the Orioles follow through on this year.  High draft picks from those horrible teams made thier debut and they ran a lot of young players out there and got better as the year progressed.  

To be fair thry have also pushed their high draft picks through the system a lot faster too.

Thats true for the CWS and Royals as well.

16 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Up until this year, I have been pleased with the process. However,  Year 4 of rebuild should be more transactional with trades at the major league level Ala the Rays and more toe dipping into the mid level free agent market.  No excuse for such poor starting pitching.  I can accept the #5 up for grabs but not Lyles as a 2 and 3-5 up for grabs.  

Of all the hand-wringing about the O's, good or bad, the biggest problem I see is the lack of pitching depth anywhere in the system. Tony made some comments in the minor forum yesterday that, combined with what most of us see, really has me worried. 

As it stands, a purely homegrown rebuild will surely fail absent a great run of luck re: health and performance or some significant additions on the pitching front from outside of the org.

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Of all the hand-wringing about the O's, good or bad, the biggest problem I see is the lack of pitching depth anywhere in the system. Tony made some comments in the minor forum yesterday that, combined with what most of us see, really has me worried. 

As it stands, a purely homegrown rebuild will surely fail absent a great run of luck re: health and performance or some significant additions on the pitching front from outside of the org.

I don’t think a fully homegrown rebuild has ever been the plan.  Rather, I think the plan was to rebuild as much as feasible on homegrown talent and create payroll flexibility to add additional talent via free agency and trades when the homegrown talent started to have impact.   And yes, I think a lot of that flexibility will need to be utilized to acquire pitchers.   But I still have hopes that we can get some pitching contributions from our system beyond just Rodriguez and Hall.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do we even have an estimate on when Adley will play?

Mine or the O's?   Nothing from the O's.   I think he will be playing for an O's minor league team in the next two weeks and be promoted to the O's a week  later.