O's, Royals / Tigers Difference

oriolediehard

10 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Have they been assigned to a MiL team yet?

Not that I've heard.

I had assumed they were just using this as a convenient excuse to game his clock but the fact that he isn't playing has me worried they were under reporting his injury.

On March 16th it was reported he would be out of action 2-3 weeks.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/orioles-adley-rutschman-baseballs-top-prospect-shut-down-2-3-weeks-with-triceps-injury/

Here we are four weeks in and he hasn't seen any game action.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

As I have said I refuse to give up on this season.   Add Adley, Grayson and Bradish to this team and they may win.   That could happen in the next month.

I’m not sure what you mean by “refuse to give up on this season.”   Give up what?

Our experience teaches us what is possible and what is probable are two different things.   We’ve seen in our lifetimes a 35-win turnaround and a 24-win turnaround that both were largely unexpected.   So we know it’s possible.  We also know those kind of turnarounds don’t happen often.   So am I “giving up on the season” if I think the most likely outcome is a record well below .500?  I’m still hoping to be wrong.  

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not that I've heard.

I had assumed they were just using this as a convenient excuse to game his clock but the fact that he isn't playing has me worried they were under reporting his injury.

On March 16th it was reported he would be out of action 2-3 weeks.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/orioles-adley-rutschman-baseballs-top-prospect-shut-down-2-3-weeks-with-triceps-injury/

Here we are four weeks in and he hasn't seen any game action.

28 minutes ago, geschinger said:

Adley was assigned to the Norfolk Tides on April 8 and added to the 7-day Injured list on April 8.

And so it begins.  

How many times watching sports have you seen an injury start out as no big deal.  And then you start wondering why the guy isn't back.  And there's no word from the team.  And it just keeps lingering and lingering and then all of a sudden it's something way worse than what was initially reported?

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it did.  And as excited as I am for AR, G-Rod and others, I'm not expecting them to change this team's fortunes as soon as they take the field, that's silly.  

In regards to the differences, I am forever tired of blaming the Orioles woes on the division and the "meat grinder" that they play in.  I don't see Tampa making excuses.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

And so it begins.  

How many times watching sports have you seen an injury start out as no big deal.  And then you start wondering why the guy isn't back.  And there's no word from the team.  And it just keeps lingering and lingering and then all of a sudden it's something way worse than what was initially reported?

We're so used to getting kicked around as a fanbase that it's hard not let your mind start racing as a fan. Especially when the franchise does a poor job communicating with the fans about what's happening with the team.

I think we'll see Rutschman back in a couple weeks, but the longer this goes on with no communication it's hard to not to think this isn't just a minor injury. 

22 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

We're so used to getting kicked around as a fanbase that it's hard not let your mind start racing as a fan. Especially when the franchise does a poor job communicating with the fans about what's happening with the team.

I think we'll see Rutschman back in a couple weeks, but the longer this goes on with no communication it's hard to not to think this isn't just a minor injury. 

If he's back in a couple of weeks that's still double what the initial estimates were.   Would seem odd they were that far off on a diagnosis.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I don't think there's an issue with diagnosis.  I think they're using an abundance of caution with the game's #1 prospect.  And, it fits their service time needs anyway.

If is was service time he'd be playing by now.  Don't need much time to get the extra year.  If they are trying to hold him back from Super 2 after everything else they've done y'all should riot.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

My mind isn't racing when it comes to this franchise.

Quite the opposite, actually.  

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he's back in a couple of weeks that's still double what the initial estimates were.   Would seem odd they were that far off on a diagnosis.

I think it may be more misintrepretation than initial estimates being way off.   On March 16 it was reported he was being shutdown from baseball activities for 2-3 weeks not that he'll be back to game action in 2-3 weeks. 

I don't know what the expected time frame is for going from shutdown to game action but if he's back on or around when he eligible to come off the IL that would not be indicative of screweing up the diagnosis.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I already assumed a month when the injury was first announced. The one thing I've been counting on is seeing Rutschman play this year. Doesn't matter if he has a slow start to his career, but I hope there is some information this week that communicates Rutschman is making progress and ready to play.

Instead we get silence from the organization and I'm not enjoying it. 

6 minutes ago, geschinger said:

I think it may be more misintrepretation than initial estimates being way off.   On March 16 it was reported he was being shutdown from baseball activities for 2-3 weeks not that he'll be back to game action in 2-3 weeks. 

I don't know what the expected time frame is for going from shutdown to game action but if he's back on or around when he eligible to come off the IL that would not be indicative of screweing up the diagnosis.

The quote, attributed to the Manager was:

is expected to miss 2-3 weeks of action

The word action was used.  I'm not sure how that can be misinterpreted.

Now perhaps Hyde mispoke, in which case he should probably be more careful.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The quote, attributed to the Manager was:

The word action was used.  I'm not sure how that can be misinterpreted.

Now perhaps Hyde mispoke, in which case he should probably be more careful.

All I know is that it was widely reported on March 16 that he was being shutdown for 2-3 weeks. 

Could be that he misspoke or engages in wishful thinking contradicting the diagnosis.  I can see a some potential wishful thinking in a quote from him in the article.  

In the article from MLB.COM on that day:

Rutschman has sustained a right triceps strain, manager Brandon Hyde revealed on Wednesday morning, forcing the 24-year-old into a two- to three-week shutdown that almost assuredly eliminates his chances of making the Opening Day roster.

“We’ll see,” Hyde said. “It’s going to be dependent on when he’s ready to go. Treatment for a couple weeks, and then he’ll have to do a progression from there, if all goes well.”

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If is was service time he'd be playing by now.  Don't need much time to get the extra year.  If they are trying to hold him back from Super 2 after everything else they've done y'all should riot.

Corn, did you not read the second sentence about an abudance of caution with the game's #1 prospect?  I think that it was clearly the main point of my post.  He's doing baseball activities (whatever the hell that means).  I'm fairly sure he'll be in games soon.  But, we'll see.  I prefer not to see doom everywhere.