The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the ownership understands this might be a do or die issue as the symbolic signing of Tex to even the average O's fan is greater than I've ever seen it for any player for any team. Period.

Down at my local "Eddies" one of the managers told me, "If they sign Tex, I'll start going to games again." The ownership knows he's not the only one in the city that feels that way.

One guy doesn't make a team, and we'll tell ourselves that if we don't get him, but sometimes a symbol is more important than the truth. If we get Tex, many will believe that baseball has come back to a city once proud of its team.

Boston doesn't need Tex to sell a ticket. Baltimore needs Tex for its embittered fans to even think about buying a ticket.

We need him. We'll get him.

I truly hope that PA sees this the same way many of us do. I for one will increase the amount of games that I attend if we sign Tex. I love seeing Jones and Markakis but Tex would cause me to add an additional 8-10 games.

I truly hope that PA sees this the same way many of us do. I for one will increase the amount of games that I attend if we sign Tex. I love seeing Jones and Markakis but Tex would cause me to add an additional 8-10 games.

Yeah, I will find a way to get season tickets (Sunday plan or something) if we sign Tex. If not, I'll go to my normal 3 or 4 games a year.

What always amuses me is the exjock arrested adolescent attitude of many in the media, that totally dismisses the idea of family in the the Tex equation. He has 2 small children aged 1 and 2 I believe. And his parents have recently recovered from serious illness. It's very important for small children to be able to spend quality time with their grandparents as well as important for the grandparents too. There a big difference between riding Amtrak to Boston a couple of times a month and popping over two three times a week to visit, baby sit, go to the zoo etc. It's important for the children to be able to set down roots in one place for the next say 10 years or so, think Melvin Mora and his NTC. Now if you asked most people what's most important to you, your kids and your patents or winning a ring, how many would honestly answer a ring? If the O's offer the most money, would he turn all that down for a ring sooner than later?

Yeah, I will find a way to get season tickets (Sunday plan or something) if we sign Tex. If not, I'll go to my normal 3 or 4 games a year.

You know, not to pick on you or anyone else, but why does it take Tex for fans to go to the games? I am at every home friday night game because those are the only ones I can personally afford to go to(student night). I grew up watching the Orioles play in the 90s and the yard was always packed and always loud. Now, when I cheer during the games I get weird looks and an usher telling me to quiet down. Baltimore, support your team.

What always amuses me is the exjock arrested adolescent attitude of many in the media, that totally dismisses the idea of family in the the Tex equation. He has 2 small children aged 1 and 2 I believe. And his parents have recently recovered from serious illness. It's very important for small children to be able to spend quality time with their grandparents as well as important for the grandparents too. There a big difference between riding Amtrak to Boston a couple of times a month and popping over two three times a week to visit, baby sit, go to the zoo etc. It's important for the children to be able to set down roots in one place for the next say 10 years or so, think Melvin Mora and his NTC. Now if you asked most people what's most important to you, your kids and your patents or winning a ring, how many would honestly answer a ring? If the O's offer the most money, would he turn all that down for a ring sooner than later?

Good point, EG. I didn't realize that stuff about his parents...and I didn't really think of that in the equation.

I suppose that even his wife's parents would be closer as well, as I believe she's from Georgia.

Archived