Terrin Vavra 2022

interloper

5 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

What's this based on?

(Not questioning its veracity, just genuinely curious as I'm not informed)

Based on him getting more time in the outfield than at 2B in the minors this season, when there is more of a clear and present need in the major league infield. 

I agree.  If he was considered a solid defensive option at 2B he would be playing there primarily rather than CF/LF.  I've heard his arm and ability to turn the double play isn't very good.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, seak05 said:

I think they like guys to have "positional versatility" and he doesn't have the arm for the LF of the infield, but he has some speed. He's probably a super utility, but a guy who starts 4+ times a week, not a McKenna who might start once, but come in often as a defensive replacement (I agree you probably don't need both on the roster though). I would expect Vavra to come up when they decide what they are going to do with Odor though

I'd love to trade Odor for a bag of balls at the trade deadline, then bring up Prieto to replace Odor at 2B and Vavra to replace McKenna on the bench. If Prieto keeps hitting at AA, I don't see any issue with him skipping AAA given his age and pro experience in Cuba.

From here I'd kind of sum up my Vavra hopes as a more versatile Orsulak.

The next couple years I hope his back holds up - the two things I'm probably surest of are he can take a good at-bat, and he's had recurring back issues in his early 20's.    I feel some of tilting him towards the grass is getting him away from frequent jolty middle infield sudden stops and starts.

I think for now Mateo has probably played his way past Urias as a third starting infielder candidate with Gunnar-Westburg most of next year, though I hope both join Vavra in reserve roles for 2023 opening day, even if the Big Buy is only someone like Enrique Hernandez.

Its certainly delicious to anticipate September (August?)  lineups with Hall-Gunnar-Westburg-Vavra in them, as seems possible today.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s getting no attention thanks to the exploits of Henderson and Westburg, but he’s been extremely steady.  

He’s been extremely consistent wherever he’s been at throughout his professional career.  His OBP has never been below .396, and including tonight, his OPS has been between .855 - .898.

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s getting no attention thanks to the exploits of Henderson and Westburg, but he’s been extremely steady.  

Just needs to stay healthy.

I saw Diaz was back in AAA tonight.  Same with him.  He has hit all year but keeps getting hurt.  Be nice if he can stay healthy the rest of the year.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He puts up some hard fought ABs.  He’s a thorn in the pitchers side.  I think folks will like him if comes up and gets steady time. 

I'm honestly ready to see Vavra in Baltimore. I'm ready to see Henderson and Westburg, too, but understand keeping them down a bit longer as well. Here's hoping in about a month, we see a revamped roster that includes Vavra and Stowers at the very least. I'd love to see a guy at 2B with an OBP better than .300. Our entire infield OBP is just terrible (save for 1B--though Mountcastle isn't exactly an on-base machine either). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 8:06 AM, jamalshw said:

I'm honestly ready to see Vavra in Baltimore. I'm ready to see Henderson and Westburg, too, but understand keeping them down a bit longer as well. Here's hoping in about a month, we see a revamped roster that includes Vavra and Stowers at the very least. I'd love to see a guy at 2B with an OBP better than .300. Our entire infield OBP is just terrible (save for 1B--though Mountcastle isn't exactly an on-base machine either). 

There is no one blocking Vavra at the big league level and he should be on the MLB league roster now. I’m even okay with working him in at 2B behind Odor initially even though I’d like to see Odor completely off the roster. Two starts a week at 2B, one in the OF, plus some pinch hitting duties?

The bats of Odor and Mateo are really hurting our lineup from reaching its full potential and the addition of Vavra could give us a nice boost. 

43 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

There is no one blocking Vavra at the big league level and he should be on the MLB league roster now. I’m even okay with working him in at 2B behind Odor initially even though I’d like to see Odor completely off the roster. Two starts a week at 2B, one in the OF, plus some pinch hitting duties?

The bats of Odor and Mateo are really hurting our lineup from reaching its full potential and the addition of Vavra could give us a nice boost. 

As much as I want to see Vavra, Westburg, Henderson, and Stowers, there's an element of "if it's not broke don't fix it" going on.    This is not the time to be trading/releasing Odor or even turning him into a part-time player.   How do you want to platoon two LH hitting 2B?

• Upvote 2