4/20: 25 K's By Starters, 3 Wins And Another Football Score

cboemmeljr

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Two routine plays by a ML 3B. 
    • It’s not strange at all. They brought him back quickly off the IL because they felt he could hit. He has sat twice since bringing him back…day games after a night game. When he was playing in the field, he was getting a day off every week as well. So, they are giving him an extra day off as he recovers from an injury..being extra cautious with him. I don’t think that’s strange at all. If he needed TJ surgery, they wouldn’t have brought him back and it’s not likely his elbow has gone from tendonitis to a torn ligament in a weeks time (ie, it’s not likely to have gotten that much worse) I had tennis elbow and couldn’t lift anything heavier than a cell phone without having a lot of pain and ended up having to get 3 cortisone injections for it to be ok. Suffice it to say, if this is what he’s experiencing, he likely couldn’t lift a bat, much less get hits. They are essentially letting him rehab while playing, which indicates to me their intention of having him up this year.
    • If he’s at the point where he’s throwing off the mound, he might not need too much rehab outings. Heck, you get a 26 man roster for a 3/5/7 game series. You can even go with him as a prayer on a big roster and even IL him and replace him mid series. What would we have to lose. He most certainly has the frame to help out.  We’ll see. I hope. 
    • I understand @Sports Guy ‘s thinking here. If Adley/Basallo are your C/DH next year, Holliday is at 2B, Mounty has more trade value than O’Hearn, but even with all that… can we really move on from Santa and Mounty in the offseason? It sounds plausible, and that could be our Burnes money, but that is a lot to move on from on a b2b 100 win team.  It just is. But I can see the thinking. Use the saved money from Mounty/Santa for Burnes’ 2025 salary. Then trade Mounty for a SP. The 2025 rotation would then be Burnes, Grayson, Traded for SP, Irvin, Povich. Kremer and Suarez in the mix as well. 
    • You could argue that, except that a trade where Westburg is the center piece won’t get you a #1 starter. Trading a young controllable MVP level player can absolutely be a smart thing to do if you’re getting a young controllable Cy Young level pitcher back (Skubal, for example). 
    • Realistically, they can ask for the moon and it likely not be an overpay. If he stays healthy all year I think the plan was to move him back to the rotation next year. He's under control for a long time.
  • Popular Contributors