Hyde under contract after 2022

Going Underground

We are not sure for how long because this is on a need to know basis.

. He is under contract beyond 2022, an industry source told The Sun, meaning that with as many as seven of the Orioles’ top 10 prospects positioned to arrive in the majors before the end of next season, Hyde could be the one to manage them.

Under contract beyond 2022, Orioles manager Brandon Hyde to get chance to manage prospect-laden club: ‘He deserves that’ – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-brandon-hyde-contract-20220427-qxyeaabgcfbztkrkpqy7zjewri-story.html

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

That loss is one of the Orioles’ 263 in 400 games under Hyde entering this week’s series against the New York Yankees. In his fourth year with Baltimore, he has one of the five worst winning percentages of any manager in major league history.

If you bump up the games required to 400 where does he rank?

Also not shocked he's under contract for next year.  I'd think it was in year two of actually trying they'd bring in the guy they want to manage the talent.  He also isn't going to be real expensive to fire if it comes to that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

That loss is one of the Orioles’ 263 in 400 games under Hyde entering this week’s series against the New York Yankees. In his fourth year with Baltimore, he has one of the five worst winning percentages of any manager in major league history.

Probably has had some of the worst rosters ever, so it makes sense.

Paging in @DrungoHazewoodto explain to us how much difference a manager makes.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Also not shocked he's under contract for next year.  I'd think it was in year two of actually trying they'd bring in the guy they want to manage the talent.  He also isn't going to be real expensive to fire if it comes to that.

Not sure why the Sun didn't just say where he ranked in the top five.Not like management gave him much to manage with.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So cynical. Hyde's their guy, there's no reason to think otherwise at this point. You're just inventing a guess from nothing. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

So cynical. Hyde's their guy, there's no reason to think otherwise at this point. You're just inventing a guess from nothing. 

Maybe Hyde is their guy.

I'm not inventing a guess from nothing.  This is often how these rebuilds go.

You hire a caretaker manager for the tank years and you bring in someone new when the team is ready.

I also don't think the O's are going to be eager to lose Buck.

I’m glad they are being patient with Hyde just like they are with the team.   It’s interesting that this story is coming out now.   

From what I’ve seen, Hyde is good in the clubhouse and has the support of his players.   Whether he’s a good strategist is hard to tell given the limitations he’s working with.  He deserves the chance to show what he can do with a little more talent at his disposal.   He should get that opportunity later this year and next year.   

Until evidence is presented otherwise...........I am going to continue to assume we are going to operate on a similar path as Houston did when they were tanking.

Looks like they changed managers a couple times when they flipped the switch to try and compete.   Poor Hyde.   I hope he does get a chance at least.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad they are being patient with Hyde just like they are with the team.   It’s interesting that this story is coming out now.   

From what I’ve seen, Hyde is good in the clubhouse and has the support of his players.   Whether he’s a good strategist is hard to tell given the limitations he’s working with.  He deserves the chance to show what he can do with a little more talent at his disposal.   He should get that opportunity later this year and next year.   

The only complaint I have about Hyde is the penchant to pinch hit McKenna for anybody. A bullpen move here or there but we always know so little about who is really available on a given night. I like that they're running a good amount this year. Some good swing on 3-0 calls. He's nailed almost every challenge this year. So he's not killing us in-game and the players like him. What else can you really ask for out of a manager? He doesn't have great quotes like Buck but that's purely for our enjoyment. 

37 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Until evidence is presented otherwise...........I am going to continue to assume we are going to operate on a similar path as Houston did when they were tanking.

Looks like they changed managers a couple times when they flipped the switch to try and compete.   Poor Hyde.   I hope he does get a chance at least.

I think even the evidence you cite speaks to Hyde getting a chance.  I dont think Elias views Hyde's performance to date as being positive or negative.  I think he has been given a chance to grow in spite of getting very little to work with.  

I believe that he will be viewed, or evaluated, differently between now and the end of next year than he has been viewed before this year.  I see no reason to believe that if Hyde has a better team and underperforms next year, that he would not be afforded any more rope than that.

Of course if the bar is set that he has to win the division then the goals are not reasonable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Brad Mills managed from 2010-2012 with a .384 winning percentage.  He was let go and they hired Bo Porter for 2013-2014 who had a .367 winning percentage.  They finally hired AJ Hinch who managed from 2015-2019 with a .594 winning percentage and World Series Championship.  So that fits your narrative.  But, did they hire Bo Porter as a caretaker only, or were they hoping he would be the guy.  Maybe after they had 2 years to observe him, they decided that he wasn't a good hire and preferred Hinch.  Obviously a good move, albeit with questions about the sign stealing scandal.

So, I'm not sure you can assume that Porter was only meant to be a stop gap and that Hyde is meant to be a stop gap.  Hyde's already managed longer than either of Mills or Porter and he's under contract for at least one more season - maybe longer.  The stop gap manager theory is based on looking back at the hirings and firings after the fact, not from the point of view of the hiring decisions themselves at the time that they were made.

• Upvote 1

I'm in the "hope he gets a real chance" crowd. I think we'll have a better idea by the end of this season after a few guys make their debut. He was out of the dugout last week taking up for Trey in Oakland, so that stands for something. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ChrisP said:

I'm in the "hope he gets a real chance" crowd. I think we'll have a better idea by the end of this season after a few guys make their debut. He was out of the dugout last week taking up for Trey in Oakland, so that stands for something. 

You would think him trying to fight Chris Davis would have counted for more in O's fans' eyes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I don't understand how Hyde "deserves" a chance to stay on and manage the team when the material gets better.

When the Orioles get around to trying to put together a winning baseball team, they should get the manager who they believe will be the best fit off the field and in in-game decision-making for that team ("they" being Elias so far as I know, since I'm not aware of anyone else having input into decisions like these). Maybe that's Hyde. I find it difficult to judge Hyde's performance as the Orioles' manager not only because the talent level is so low but also because it's impossible to know how much his decisions reflect orders he's been given. And while the players do seem to like him, I don't think it's a great achievement to have a bunch of marginal major leaguers say nice things, or even genuinely like, the only guy they interact with who has input into decisions about who plays and where.

I suspect the Orioles will be able to find a better manager than Hyde. If so, they should hire him. The fact that Hyde has endured a lot of losing with terrible, bargain-basement personnel shouldn't earn him the chance to stay on.

• Upvote 1