Hyde under contract after 2022

Going Underground

46 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I guess I don’t understand the rush to sign him for the 2023 season. Are we afraid someone is gonna try to hire him from us?

I assume his contract may have had some options or a rollover clause with some dates by which they had to be exercised.   Or, they wanted him to have some job security so that he’s not looking over his shoulder while he’s managing.   That last year when everyone knew Dan and Buck’s contracts were expiring was pretty brutal.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I assume his contract may have had some options or a rollover clause with some dates by which they had to be exercised.   Or, they wanted him to have some job security so that he’s not looking over his shoulder while he’s managing.   That last year when everyone knew Dan and Buck’s contracts were expiring was pretty brutal.   

I don’t know why he should have job security. I get that he’s been given a roster with no talent but he’s also failed to crack 55 wins in any year. He should be looking over his shoulder. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't understand how Hyde "deserves" a chance to stay on and manage the team when the material gets better.

When the Orioles get around to trying to put together a winning baseball team, they should get the manager who they believe will be the best fit off the field and in in-game decision-making for that team ("they" being Elias so far as I know, since I'm not aware of anyone else having input into decisions like these). Maybe that's Hyde. I find it difficult to judge Hyde's performance as the Orioles' manager not only because the talent level is so low but also because it's impossible to know how much his decisions reflect orders he's been given. And while the players do seem to like him, I don't think it's a great achievement to have a bunch of marginal major leaguers say nice things, or even genuinely like, the only guy they interact with who has input into decisions about who plays and where.

I suspect the Orioles will be able to find a better manager than Hyde. If so, they should hire him. The fact that Hyde has endured a lot of losing with terrible, bargain-basement personnel shouldn't earn him the chance to stay on.

I don't really disagree with this, but if they like him enough to keep him now, I think he will get to the end of next year to show what he can do...but as the talent increases, so will the expectations.

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If I had to bet on Buck Britton against the field on who is going to be named the next Orioles manager, I'm going with Britton. Again a lot can happen in the meantime, but I agree they are grooming him to be the next Orioles manager. 

I think Hyde has a chance to be around when the Orioles are an above .500 again, but ultimately I think Hyde is going to be replaced like Bo Porter was with the Astros right before they made the leap to winning. 

IF Hyde fails once talent comes on board, the likelyhood that they go to a minor league manager with no ML experience is almost nil.  Unless the only criteria for the job is lack of money.

Oh wait.....

• Upvote 1

With Hyde as manager, have the low-talent Orioles (a) played hard and hustled, and (b) played intelligent, fundamentally sound baseball? I think the answers to those questions should have a big influence on deciding how long Hyde keeps his job.

I don't know the answers to those questions. I don't how to measure those things, and I see the Orioles so much more than any other teams that it's hard to compare. But my best guess is (a) yes and (b) no. Not an endorsement of Hyde, in my opinion.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:53 PM, spiritof66 said:

With Hyde as manager, have the low-talent Orioles (a) played hard and hustled, and (b) played intelligent, fundamentally sound baseball? I think the answers to those questions should have a big influence on deciding how long Hyde keeps his job.

I don't know the answers to those questions. I don't how to measure those things, and I see the Orioles so much more than any other teams that it's hard to compare. But my best guess is (a) yes and (b) no. Not an endorsement of Hyde, in my opinion.

I think playing intelligent, fundamentally sound baseball is more about the players than the manager.  Most of these guys have been playing baseball for many years, most of their lives.  They either understand the game or they don't.  I can see this on my son's high school team.

It can and does get better with age as well.  And don't forget the Orioles have lately been one of the youngest teams in baseball, with castoffs from other team making up a good potion of the roster.  It's also amazing how the more talented players usually make smarter plays. l Can the manager have an impact?  Of course.   But again it's more about  the players.   And as the orioles start to bring up their own high draft picks, who have lots of talent and good instincts, I bet they start playing better baseball.

2 hours ago, connja said:

I think playing intelligent, fundamentally sound baseball is more about the players than the manager.  Most of these guys have been playing baseball for many years, most of their lives.  They either understand the game or they don't.  I can see this on my son's high school team.

It can and does get better with age as well.  And don't forget the Orioles have lately been one of the youngest teams in baseball, with castoffs from other team making up a good potion of the roster.  It's also amazing how the more talented players usually make smarter plays. l Can the manager have an impact?  Of course.   But again it's more about  the players.   And as the orioles start to bring up their own high draft picks, who have lots of talent and good instincts, I bet they start playing better baseball.

A lot is going to depend on whether he can manage a pitching staff or if he burns them out.

On 4/27/2022 at 10:23 AM, Going Underground said:

That loss is one of the Orioles’ 263 in 400 games under Hyde entering this week’s series against the New York Yankees. In his fourth year with Baltimore, he has one of the five worst winning percentages of any manager in major league history.

Are you really blaming Hyde for this?

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

A lot is going to depend on whether he can manage a pitching staff or if he burns them out.

I 150% agree with this. I do think that there is something to be said for players liking their manager. When you're playing 162 game season, I think you need to enjoy who you're playing for. The players LOVED Buck, until they didn't. But they played hard and had fun playing for him. I think players also enjoy playing for Hyde, but to me the single most important job of a manager in major league baseball is handling a pitching rotation and a bullpen. Time will tell as he starts to get better arms how Hyde handles that.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, paullwaull said:

3 months after this article and thread, wondering if opinions have changed or stayed about the same regarding Hyde now that the team is playing .500 ball.

Honestly I'm less in favor of Hyde now than I was before the season started.   The lineup decisions are mind boggling and his use, or lack thereof,  of rookies when up bothers me.  While he's done good in some aspects, I feel we are winning in spite of him,  and not because of him,  and that our improved record would be even better without some of his head scratching decisions, mainly about Odor.

4 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Honestly I'm less in favor of Hyde now than I was before the season started.   The lineup decisions are mind boggling and his use, or lack thereof,  of rookies when up bothers me.  While he's done good in some aspects, I feel we are winning in spite of him,  and not because of him,  and that our improved record would be even better without some of his head scratching decisions, mainly about Odor.

Wow.

• Haha 1