Who All Is Going on 5/16?

Orioles Jim

With this being the last game before the road trip, who all is betting that 5/16 will be Rustchman's big league debut (and certainly home debut)?

Thinking of going and getting a bigger group together to go, reading the tea leaves it looks like this might very well be the date, but wanted to see if anyone might have any insight on whether this is a good bet to make?

(Note: Already been to two games this year, planning on going to a game against the Rays that weekend anyway, but wanted to check with you all to see if you think this might be the big day for Rustchman!)

I don't know if Ben McDonald is given specifics about the team's intentions, but during the broadcast today the tone in which he talked about getting tickets for the Yankees series made it seem like he knew something.

Some things we know now.

Rutschman's Norfolk week is DL Hall's debut week - he is probably catching both Rodriguez and Hall's games as he bounces around.

5 days rest seems standard for many of the pitchers.

Hall pitched 5/5, so his day this week is probably Wednesday 5/11.

Rodriguez pitched 5/7, so his day this week is probably Friday 5/13.

If Elias is superstitious about Friday the 13th, maybe the Adley announcement waits until Saturday.   I would not be surprised if Friday night is it catching.    Maybe one DH game on the weekend going towards Monday.   If Elias doesn't care about silly superstitions, I'd guess Friday night for an announcement.   I'd be surprised if it is anytime before Grayson's Friday game to avoid distractions.

Severino or Taillon look like the next Monday Yankee probable, should be Bradish for us.

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I don't know if Ben McDonald is given specifics about the team's intentions, but during the broadcast today the tone in which he talked about getting tickets for the Yankees series made it seem like he knew something.

Some things we know now.

Rutschman's Norfolk week is DL Hall's debut week - he is probably catching both Rodriguez and Hall's games as he bounces around.

If Elias is superstitious about Friday the 13th, maybe the Adley announcement waits until Saturday.   I would not be surprised if Friday night is it catching.    Maybe one DH game on the weekend going towards Monday.   If Elias doesn't care about silly superstitions, I'd guess Friday night for an announcement.   I'd be surprised if it is anytime before Grayson's Friday game to avoid distractions.

Severino or Taillon look like the next Monday Yankee probable, should be Bradish for us.

I think you've pretty much nailed it, and I think they announce right after Norfolk's game Friday.   Gives time to sell some tickets for Monday.

Let's have a 3-3  road trip and come home having played .500+ ball for more than 3 weeks with Adley making his debut vs the Evil Empire!   The always-reliable 8-day-out weather forecast for next Monday is high 78, low 57, partly cloudy.

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Some things we know now.

It was announced that Hall is pitching on Tuesday, somewhat surprisingly.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was announced that Hall is pitching on Tuesday, somewhat surprisingly.  

Interesting.   That makes me wonder if they are already hedging on a conventional SP usage pattern for 2022, and will test out more like 50-60ish pitches (he is at 113 in first two appearances) more frequently for Hall this year.   

Elias has spoken 100 aloud, and maybe this is an indicator the gameplan is 25 * 4 a little bit more than 20 * 5.    How this year's 100 innings get chopped up probably doesn't matter too much for what his platform entering 2023 is going to be. 

Perhaps no one on Earth knows how Hall or Grayson's fastball would perform on pitches 80-100, but maybe enough other humans have done so the org has a conjecture, and isn't stressed about finding out until mid-decade.  

With some luck hopefully the talented pitchers put Elias in a heck of a pickle next summer.

• Snutchy changed the title to Who All Is Going on 5/16?
1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Some things we know now.

Yes, I heard Ben say that during today's game. He said people should buy tickets now for the Yankees series because "something special" might be happening. I can't be sure, but it did sound like he might know something from one of his team sources. Also, the games against the Yankees aren't part of the 1992 ticket price promotion, but the Friday game against the Rays is. So that might have some significance.

I'm thinking it's likely to be the weekend series against the Rays.  Weekend series would give the O's better chance to sell more tickets, more exposure for Adley. 

If the idea, is to give Adley a running start against weaker competition, the next few weeks is one of the tougher parts of the schedule.  Next "easy" home opponent is Cubs on June 7 & 8.  I'm not supporting this idea, just giving a possible reason to delay Adley's promotion.  If Adley is good enough to play in the minors, it doesn't matter if he's promoted to play against the Dodgers or Reds, imo.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Interesting.   That makes me wonder if they are already hedging on a conventional SP usage pattern for 2022, and will test out more like 50-60ish pitches (he is at 113 in first two appearances) more frequently for Hall this year.   

Elias has spoken 100 aloud, and maybe this is an indicator the gameplan is 25 * 4 a little bit more than 20 * 5.    How this year's 100 innings get chopped up probably doesn't matter too much for what his platform entering 2023 is going to be. 

Perhaps no one on Earth knows how Hall or Grayson's fastball would perform on pitches 80-100, but maybe enough other humans have done so the org has a conjecture, and isn't stressed about finding out until mid-decade.  

With some luck hopefully the talented pitchers put Elias in a heck of a pickle next summer.

Elias has mentioned multiple times in the past that he doesn't want to shut down pitchers early but really believes pitching a full season is important. I definitely think the preference is for Hall to still be starting games in September vs going 5-6 innings/start

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Elias has mentioned multiple times in the past that he doesn't want to shut down pitchers early but really believes pitching a full season is important. I definitely think the preference is for Hall to still be starting games in September vs going 5-6 innings/start

If pitching a full season is important why isn't Hall pitching a full season?