O's were contenders!!

wildcard

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Being a contender for a Wild Card spot and the playoffs does not mean the team is leading the race.  Its means they are in the race.  The Blue Jays, White Sox, Guardians, O's and Mariners are all in the race for the final wild card spot in May thanks to the new rules that there are 3 wild card spots per league.

If this were 1970, before the wild card system, the O's would not be in it. If this was last year with two wild card spots per league the O's  would not be in it.  But with the new rules the O's are just 3 back and surging.

There are 130 games left. This is the equivalent of being 2-2 after 4 games in the NFL and being one game out of division lead and saying that makes a team a contender. 

I’m not downplaying how much fun it is to watch them right now.  Next week it should get even better but we are a long way from being called a contender. If they are hanging around the race at start of July then look at it. Still many warts on this team. 

In all reality, it's going to be June that really tells us what the team is. Adley and one of Hall or Grayson will be up. Maybe Diaz. Can guys stay healthy?

Can the pitching continue at this pace? For example, Perez has 1 ER but his WHIP is nearly 1.6 and his FIP is above 4. He's due for a pretty massive correction. That said, reinforcements are coming. 

It's an interesting little squad right now, and guys like Mountcastle, Mancini, and Santander haven't even really hit for much power yet. 

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

There are 130 games left. This is the equivalent of being 2-2 after 4 games in the NFL and being one game out of division lead and saying that makes a team a contender. 

I’m not downplaying how much fun it is to watch them right now.  Next week it should get even better but we are a long way from being called a contender. If they are hanging around the race at start of July then look at it. Still many warts on this team. 

I agree.  Being contenders in May is not being contender in September.   But after the last 4 years I think its notable that the O's are in the wild card race in May.  

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Totally agreed.  It's really good to see some of these guys stepping up.

At the very least I don't think they can be the laughingstock of MLB anymore (partially thanks to the Reds, too).  

Tigers are only one game better then the Reds now. Orioles interleague schedule is a little easier this year.Playing the weakest NL Central. Play the Reds at the end of July.Plus the Nationals are one of the worst teams in baseball.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's have a guy.  Shed Long if he can get healthy.  Who knows what he might be.

I'm pretty intrigued about Shed, honestly. Elias has a very good track record with waiver claims and minor league signings like this. With Odor being Odor and Vavra being injured, the O's could use another left-handed hitting 2B option. Now if pitchers would refrain from drilling him in the knee, we might see what we have. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I'm pretty intrigued about Shed, honestly. Elias has a very good track record with waiver claims and minor league signings like this. With Odor being Odor and Vavra being injured, the O's could use another left-handed hitting 2B option. Now if pitchers would refrain from drilling him in the knee, we might see what we have. 

The question is at what point does Elias make a trade of any kind to supplement the team?  

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

David Villar from Arizona’s AAA team is interesting. Late bloomer. Good defense. Not a top 30 prospect. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=villar000dav

I think he is in San Francisco's organization. Wouldn't the Giants want to take a look at him at third since Longoria is hurt alot and his contract is finally due to expire?