Monday May 23: Orioles at Yankees

SteveA

Gametime:  7:05 pm

Weather:  70s and a bit humid

Roster Moves:   Orioles put Spenser Watkins on the 15 day IL, and option Tyler Nevin and Mike Baumann to Norfolk.  They recall Beau Sulser, Logan Gillaspie, and Marcos Diplan from Norfolk.

Matchup:  Jordan Lyles (R) vs Gerritt Cole (R)

Lineups:

1. Cedric Mullins (L) CF
2. Austin Hays (R) LF
3. Trey Mancini (R) RF
4. Ryan Mountcastle (R) 1B
5. Adley Rutschman (S) DH
6. Rougned Odor (L) 2B
7. Ramon Urias (R) 3B
8. Robinson Chirinos (R) C
9. Chris Owings (R) SS

1. Anthony Rizzo (L) 1B
2. Aaron Judge (R) RF
3. Giancarlo Stanton (R) DH
4. Gleyber Torres (R) 2B
5. Isiah Kiner-Falefa (R) SS
6. Aaron Hicks (S) LF
7. Estevan Florial (L) CF
8. Jose Trevino (R) C
9. Marwin Gonzalez (S) 3B

Orioles Bench:
Jorge Mateo (R)
Ryan McKenna (R)
Anthony Santander (S)

Bullpen Availability / Last pitched

Available
Marcos Diplan 1.0 IP, 21p Saturday for Norfolk
Logan Gillaspie 1.2 IP, 16p Friday with two plane flights since then

Beau Sulser 2.0 IP, 35p Friday for Norfolk

Probably Available
Keegan Akin (L)  2.1 IP, 33p Friday
Jorge Lopez 1.0 IP, 20p yesterday; 1.0 IP, 33p Thursday;  1.0 IP, 15p Wednesday

Maybe Available
Felix Bautista  1.0 IP, 24p yesterday;  0.1 IP, 8p Thursday;  0.1 IP, 11p Wednesday
Cionel Perez (L)  2.0 IP, 24p yesterday;  0.2 IP, 6p Friday 

Not Available
Bryan Baker 2.0 IP, 33p yesterday;  0.1 IP, 11p Friday;  1.0 IP, 22p Thursday
Joey Krehbiel  3.0 IP, 42p yesterday;  0.2 IP, 16p Thursday
Dillon Tate 2.0 IP, 33p yesterday;  1.0 IP, 8p Friday  1.0 IP, 10p Thursday

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Jeremy Lee is pitching in high-A for the Twins, he's an alum of that school. I'm not sure how many I'd expect from a town with a population of 17,000 people.
    • Yeah I mean, the pitching matchups are about as bad as they could get by random chance. It is what it is. I'm not expecting much from this series. If we lose the series, it won't say a ton about either the Orioles or the Yankees.  BUT - if we win the series, it will be huge. And the Yankees' claim at best in the AL will look highly suspect. 
    • Why 2025+ is important in any trade discussions ... just with regards to position players:  There is a chance the Orioles will have two openings in the outfield beginning next season.  Any or all of Santander, Mullins, and Hays could be gone after the season.  If that happened, it would leave Cowser as the only high-probability starter.  Odds are Cowser would be our CF, but regardless, we'd need to fill those two other spots.  Replacement candidates for COF's, IMHO, are Kjerstad, Norby, and Stowers.  In that group it would seem that only Stowers can play solid defensively in the outfield.  FWIW I don't believe Beavers or Fabian or Cook would be strongly considered to start, nor do I expect Elias to ask Holliday to get reps in CF or Mayo in RF (even though both have merit).  Ryan O'Hearn can play a decent-at-best RF but should not be counted on to start there.   So, if we deal away any of Kjerstad, Norby or Stowers, we'd weaken our options beyond this season.  Again, this assumes we would not attempt to resign/extend Santander (big assumption) or bring back Mullins and Hays with the intention of them starting. As well, beginning next season we may find ourselves in an interesting situation within the infield.  With Mountcastle at 1B, Gunnar at SS and Westburg at either 3B or 2B, there would only be room for either Holliday or Mayo to start regularly.  One possible solution is trading Mountcastle this off-season.  That would allow Mayo to take over at 1B, assuming the O's would be comfortable with his defense at 1B.  Another less likely way to resolve the matter is having Mayo getting a crash course this winter in playing RF OR having Holliday do the same in CF.  Again, not anticipating either. Naturally, there is always the possibility of trading for an outfielder or signing one.   My point is that there is much to consider in weighing this season versus future seasons.  Watching it all unfold fascinating.  
    • IMO the Padres are the team who can least afford to give away any more future assets they are running a bit thin. And some of their higher priced players are starting to age. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over while continuously getting the same (undesirable) results. If Elias values Crochet the way that you appear to, then maybe he is worth strongly considering acquiring? I can't see them moving Holliday. But again there are scenarios in which one of Mayo/Basallo are expendable long term (even if one or both turn into all-star level players).
    • Like I said, I didn't know he was sick, I don't pay attention to the Padres at all and it's never been front page of any site that I frequent. If the prognosis is years that paints a different picture.
    • I would wait and see who is left standing out of HOU, TEX, CIN, and PIT. Bednar might be my top target if he keeps pitching well or the 15 K/9 guy from CIN. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now