Mullins since August 1 2021

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You realize selling low on him would been prior to 2021, right?

Would anyone would have wanted him prior to 2021?  

His ceiling was higher than ever at the end of last season.  And I know you said you wanted to trade him to the Marlins in the offseason several times.  Depending on the return, I probably would have been in favor of it, too.  I mean, I don't think anyone thought he'd be able to repeat what he did last year.  

You can't say that his trade value is as high as it would have been this past offseason with the way he's performed, as you've noted, since August of last year. 

So is it higher than before 2021?  Sure, but that's a low bar to hurdle.  Is it as high as it was at the end of 2021?  It can't be.  And I bet it's probably falling by the week.  Maybe he catches fire again but I have my doubts as I'm sure you do, too.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Would anyone would have wanted him prior to 2021?  

His ceiling was higher than ever at the end of last season.  And I know you said you wanted to trade him to the Marlins in the offseason several times.  Depending on the return, I probably would have been in favor of it, too.  I mean, I don't think anyone thought he'd be able to repeat what he did last year.  

You can't say that his trade value is as high as it would have been this past offseason with the way he's performed, as you've noted, since August of last year. 

So is it higher than before 2021?  Sure, but that's a low bar to hurdle.  Is it as high as it was at the end of 2021?  It can't be.  And I bet it's probably falling by the week.  Maybe he catches fire again but I have my doubts as I'm sure you do, too.

Who knows.  If a team was enamored by him at the end of last year, are they scared off right now?  I don’t think anyone was likely to value him as MVP candidate.  However, if they valued him as a 2.5-4 WAR guy, I think they still would.

• Upvote 1

If someone wants to overpay for Mullins, sure. Otherwise, keep him until we have a better alternative. I would not take a below market deal just to "get rid of him". 

I doubt we will get an overpay offer since everyone else knows what we know about his overall track record.