Garceau vs Newman

Sports Guy

Agree with everyone on Doris Burke.   She used to do some college ball and when she did VT games I thought she was absolutely one of the best.   Don't think she does any college anymore, which is a shame for me because I love college basketball and don't ever even watch the NBA.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Agree with everyone on Doris Burke.   She used to do some college ball and when she did VT games I thought she was absolutely one of the best.   Don't think she does any college anymore, which is a shame for me because I love college basketball and don't ever even watch the NBA.

Yea I wish she did CBB still.  She’s very knowledgeable about the game.

Both are bad at play-by-play for all the reasons mentioned in the thread. I think Newman is a bit worse in that role. On top of the general difficulty they both have in describing plays, she attempts a lot of turns of phrase that are just more confusing than they are helpful. I think she does this a bit more on TV than on radio.

But I think Newman is decent at color commentary in the radio innings where she alternates out. And as others have mentioned I think she is trying more and has more room to improve than Garceau, who just isn't bringing much to the table. In short for me, Melanie's best is better than Scott but her worst is weaker. 

Scott G's words do not move at the same pace as his brain. As a broadcast announcer, that's pretty important so Newman gets the nod just based on that alone. I think she's very awkward on the mic and maybe isn't confident in what her calls are but that could improve with more games. Garceau is what he is at this point and I don't think he'll improve much. Brown and Arnold are far superior to either of them. 

I'd rather not listen to either when I'm watching the game so if either is on, I'll mute it and watch it.  I can see what's happening so I don't need play by play for that.

Radio drives me crazy because Melanie doesn't tell a very good story on what's going on in the game.  I can't see what's going on, you're supposed to be telling me what's happening and not giving vague references to what's happening.  

• Upvote 2

Both are awful. Garceau needs to retire and Newman stick to pre and post. Palmer is slipping a bit but still good. Love Ben Mc although he gets a bit homery sometimes. Also really like Kevin brown.  Brett Hollander and Geoff Arnold decent. 

What happened to Brian Roberts and Gregg Olson??

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Both are awful. Garceau needs to retire and Newman stick to pre and post. Palmer is slipping a bit but still good. Love Ben Mc although he gets a bit homery sometimes. Also really like Kevin brown.  Brett Hollander and Geoff Arnold decent. 

What happened to Brian Roberts and Gregg Olson??

I heard Olson once with Peter Schmuck talking about the Orioles and was pretty honest and not all sunshine .The Orioles don't like that. One of the reasons the Orioles when they went back to WBAL,they didn't want Schmuck to do pre and post game.Gave it to Mielewski, never was heard a discouraging word.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

I heard Olson once with Peter Schmuck talking about the Orioles and was pretty honest and not all sunshine .The Orioles don't like that. One of the reasons the Orioles when they went back to WBAL,they didn't want Schmuck to do pre and post game.Gave it to Mielewski, never was heard a discouraging word.

Disgusting. 🤬🤬🤬

Much prefer Garceau who I believe has been better this year than last year. Garceau is just not very good at the job anymore, but he isn’t annoying to listen to. 

Melanie is good in small doses pre and post game but just talks about too much inane stuff during the games for me to like her.

• Upvote 1

Depends on the medium.   Newman is very poor at describing anything unusual that happens, whereas Garceau is poor at conveying any excitement about the game.   On radio, I’d rather have an announcer who gives me a decent picture of what’s going on, even if it’s not very energetic.  On TV, I can see what’s going on so I prefer someone who coneys that the game is interesting.   Melanie has gotten better doing color and I probably prefer her to Garceau in that role on the radio.