Tejada Blurb: Angels interested again?

broberts

If you're trading Tejada for a player that is cheaper, younger, better, under club control for longer, and plays a position of need, then it's worth it to throw in Millar and Bradford if that's what it takes to push the deal across the finish line.

Those two guys have minimal value to the O's. Better to use them in a deal like this than use them to get a couple of Kieron Popes to stock the farm with.

But they have a lot of value to a contender.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice manners, Dave. I'm surprised you haven't received a fairly significant warning by now.Please tell me the last time a guy with a .400 OBP like Millar was dealt for a hurt, fourth round prospect who had yet to play in the NYPenn League two years after being drafted? That's just a preposterous proposition.

He is Tony's guy..Not happening.

Tejada's ~$30M goes a long way towards fixing those problems... and probably some others too.

Tejada's contract is considered a bargain in this market. If we were to find an adequate replacement for Tejada and Bradford it would probably cost us just as much or maybe more for them. Thank goodness you aren't part of the Orioles FO

If you could get one cheap young player with perennial allstar upside back for Tejada, straight up, would you do it?

It depends on who that player is..How old are they? Contract status? Things like that.

Probably wouldn't trade him for just one player though.

Well we're talking about Casey Kotchman here.

Then the answer is no.

And that isn't because i don't think it is fair value or anything like that...It is because we need more players...We need more depth.

However Dave, i must say that if we shop Miggy and this is the best deal we can get for him, i may pull the trigger.

Tejada's contract is considered a bargain in this market. If we were to find an adequate replacement for Tejada and Bradford it would probably cost us just as much or maybe more for them. Thank goodness you aren't part of the Orioles FO

No, it's not.

It *was* a bargain back when he was putting up high-800s OPSs and was completely healthy.

Now Tejada's contract has albatross potential.

Then the answer is no.

And that isn't because i don't think it is fair value or anything like that...It is because we need more players...We need more depth.

However Dave, i must say that if we shop Miggy and this is the best deal we can get for him, i may pull the trigger.

Okay then, say you identify a team that is interested in Tejada, and they've got the 2 or 3 nice ML-ready prospects you're after.

Now they say, "throw in Millar and Bradford and it's a deal."

You'd say no?

Millar you're right about... by himself, he's worth a fringey/flawed prospect with some upside. A Kieron Pope type.

Absolutely preposterous.

Scott Linebrink was just traded for Will Inman and two other players who would rate about equal to a Kieron Pope type - less upside but probably more likely to be useful players.

Kenny Lofton was just traded for Max Ramirez.

Your claiming that Kenny Lofton is much, much more valuable than Kevin Millar? Let's get serious here.

It *was* a bargain back when he was putting up high-800s OPSs and was completely healthy.

I'm surprised you can remember way back to 2006 when Miguel Tejada put up a high-800s OPS. Practically centuries ago.

Absolutely preposterous.

Scott Linebrink was just traded for Will Inman and two other players who would rate about equal to a Kieron Pope type - less upside but probably more likely to be useful players.

Your claiming that Kenny Lofton is much, much more valuable than Kevin Millar? Let's get serious here.

Dave doesn't think any Oriole has value but hey, he is here to bring us "perspective". :rolleyes:

Okay then, say you identify a team that is interested in Tejada, and they've got the 2 or 3 nice ML-ready prospects you're after.

Now they say, "throw in Millar and Bradford and it's a deal."

You'd say no?

It depends on what else you can get for Millar and Bradford in other deals.

Unlike, i think these guys have actual value.

Absolutely preposterous.

I'm surprised you can remember way back to 2006 when Miguel Tejada put up a high-800s OPS. Practically centuries ago.

A Max Ramirez type sounds about right for Millar.

Sickels had him at #11 in the Indians system preseason, with a B- grade: "I love his bat, but his glove is shaky."

BA didn't have Ramirez in the Indians' preseason top 10. After the trade, they said:

Ramirez is nearly as familiar with the trade deadline deal as Lofton; this is his second. Last year, the Braves traded him to the Indians for Bob Wickman on July 20. This year with high Class A Kinston, he was hitting .303/.418/.505 with 12 home runs, one shy of his career high (13, last year). He's patient--he just won Best Strike Zone Judgment in our 2007 Best Tools survey of the Carolina League--but will strike out. Defensively, his footwork needs to improve, but he's shown better ability to receive, throw (wiping out 29 percent of opposing basestealers) and handle a pitching staff.

Ramirez sounds precisely like a fringey/flawed prospect with some upside... just like what I said Millar would be worth.

A Max Ramirez type sounds about right for Millar.

Sickels had him at #11 in the Indians system preseason, with a B- grade: "I love his bat, but his glove is shaky."

BA didn't have Ramirez in the Indians' preseason top 10. After the trade, they said:

Ramirez sounds precisely like a fringey/flawed prospect with some upside... just like what I said Millar would be worth.

So this "fringe" prospect reaped Wickman and the next year Lofton----seems like some, obviously stupid GMs really over-valued this fringer----glad you bring "perspective"---

Archived