Tejada Blurb: Angels interested again?

broberts

I doubt they would turn down Adenhart for Tejada straight up. If I was the Orioles I would consider doing this deal and then packaging Cabrera, Penn, Traschel and whoever else the Rangers may want (Ray) for Tex. Adenhart could eventually fill Cabrera's spot in the rotation with Olson doing it now.

This are players you do NOT want, not ones the Rangers WANT. Big distinction.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is my comic relief for the day. That is a horrible deal for the Angels.

We are not going to get Kotchman in any deal unless Bedard's name is involved.

Ditto that. This reminds one of last year when SG said that Javy was a major piece connecting the Angels to the World Series. The rumors will be interesting, but I think it is difficult to find the right pieces from LAA for Miggy.

I think a more reasonable deal would be Millar for Kendry Morales and another quality prospect.

My SG-like crazy trade idea is to use BRob's excellent year and package him with one of Bradford/Walker for Kendrick plus one of Adenhart/Wood. BRob has a reasonable contract and is proving to be an excellent leadoff hitter.

You can put together all the scenarios you want with 5-6-7 players, but the truth of the matter is those trades are not going to happen.

The Angels are not going to give up having a potential Kotchman-Wood at 1B and 3B for Millar-Tejada. You can throw all those other pieces around and that is fine, but the main players are not moving in that deal.

You are greatly overrating Wood.

Ditto that. This reminds one of last year when SG said that Javy was a major piece connecting the Angels to the World Series. The rumors will be interesting, but I think it is difficult to find the right pieces from LAA for Miggy.

I think a more reasonable deal would be Millar for Kendry Morales and another quality prospect.

My SG-like crazy trade idea is to use BRob's excellent year and package him with one of Bradford/Walker for Kendrick plus one of Adenhart/Wood. BRob has a reasonable contract and is proving to be an excellent leadoff hitter.

Well, the Angels are interested in Miggy....Just keep that in mind.

SG you were actually making some sense and showing some objectivity when you said...

Kotchman may be more valuable than Tejada is right now.

But then an hour later you come up with this fantasyland trade that nets the O's Kotchman *and* three other guys for Tejada and spare parts? :confused:

If we assume Kotchman = Tejada for a moment, we're left with:

Millar + Bradford for Wood + Rivera + Santana.

Absolute insanity.

SG you were actually making some sense and showing some objectivity when you said...

But then an hour later you come up with this fantasyland trade that nets the O's Kotchman *and* three other guys for Tejada and spare parts? :confused:

If we assume Kotchman = Tejada for a moment, we're left with:

Millar + Bradford for Wood + Rivera + Santana.

Absolute insanity.

Well, let me say that this is based on either things i have been told and it is based on the fact that the Angels are reportedly shopping Kotchman and 2 other very good MiLers for Tex.

Tex is better than Miggy of course but Millar, BRadford and Miggy help them a lot more.

Well, let me say that this is based on either things i have been told and it is based on the fact that the Angels are reportedly shopping Kotchman and 2 other very good MiLers for Tex.

Tex is better than Miggy of course but Millar, BRadford and Miggy help them a lot more.

If the Angels offered Wood for Tejada straight up, the O's should take it and run.

If you can expand the deal to get somebody like Mathis or Morales for Millar and/or Bradford, all the better.

It was evident last year that Wood wasn't the prospect everybody said he was if you looked at the figures.Plus, he couldn't catch a cold.

I am reading this to mean he is a poor defender? If so, that's simply untrue. He is at least major league average at SS and is learning a new position at 3B and fairing well there also.

Wood is 22 years old and is still learning. If he were one year out of college and tearing the cover off the ball at high A or AA there would be very high hopes indeed, but he accomplished those things earlier than anyone thought possible. I would be elated to get him in any dealings with the Angels.

If the Angels offered Wood for Tejada straight up, the O's should take it and run.

If you can expand the deal to get somebody like Mathis or Morales for Millar and/or Bradford, all the better.

Agreed. I like Wood a lot.

The other choice here is of course to hold onto Tejada until he re-established himself next season and trade him at that time for possibly a better package.

I have to agree with Fairfax and davearm and hoosiers and whoever else says that this would be a lopsided trade in favor of the Orioles.

If the Orioles actually propose that trade and the Angels accept, god bless them. But I don't see it happening.

Tejada < Kotchman (as in the Angels wouldn't trade Kotchman for Tejada)

Millar < Wood (as in the Angels wouldn't give up a prospect like Wood for Millar)

Bradford < Rivera and Santana (as in the Angels wouldn't give up these two for a decent journeyman reliever; yes I realize that Rivera is hurt and Santana has been demoted; still the Angels would not make this deal for someone of Bradford's pedigree)

Lumping them together in one big trade is just an attempt to make it seem like a reasonable deal.

Then there's the question of moving either Tejada or Cabrera to third. Then there's the question of whether Tejada is fully recovered from his injury.

I'm not even sure if the Angels would accept Tejada, Millar and Bradford just for Kotchman. If I'm the Orioles, I probably trade those 3 for Kotchman, who is cheap, young (24), has a good batting eye (strikes out at a rate of 1 per 10 AB this year and has one more walk than strikeout this year), easily projects to being a .900 OPS guy, and plays gold glove caliber defense.

I have to agree with Fairfax and davearm and hoosiers and whoever else says that this would be a lopsided trade in favor of the Orioles.

If the Orioles actually propose that trade and the Angels accept, god bless them. But I don't see it happening.

Tejada < Kotchman (as in the Angels wouldn't trade Kotchman for Tejada)

Millar < Wood (as in the Angels wouldn't give up a prospect like Wood for Millar)

Bradford < Rivera and Santana (as in the Angels wouldn't give up these two for a decent journeyman reliever; yes I realize that Rivera is hurt and Santana has been demoted; still the Angels would not make this deal for someone of Bradford's pedigree)

Lumping them together in one big trade is just an attempt to make it seem like a reasonable deal.

Then there's the question of moving either Tejada or Cabrera to third. Then there's the question of whether Tejada is fully recovered from his injury.

I'm not even sure if the Angels would accept Tejada, Millar and Bradford just for Kotchman. If I'm the Orioles, I probably trade those 3 for Kotchman, who is cheap, young (24), has a good batting eye (strikes out at a rate of 1 per 10 AB this year and has one more walk than strikeout this year), easily projects to being a .900 OPS guy, and plays gold glove caliber defense.

That would be considered one of the worst trades in Oriole history

That would be considered one of the worst trades in Oriole history

How so?

Kotchman may very well outhit Tejada (he's already out-OPSing Tejada by 60 points this year), he will outfield him (albeit at a less critical position), he'll do it for 1/30th the price this year and next (probably 1/10th the price in '09), and he's under club control for 2010 and 2011 as well (assuming my math is correct).

Meanwhile Kotchman makes Millar redundant, and Bradford is replaceable.

Time to let go of your outdated notions of Tejada's value.

How so?

Kotchman may very well outhit Tejada (he's already out-OPSing Tejada by 60 points this year), he will outfield him (albeit at a less critical position), he'll do it for 1/30th the price this year and next (probably 1/10th the price in '09), and he's under club control for 2010 and 2011 as well (assuming my math is correct).

Trading those 3 pieces for one player is an incredibly stupid move.

How so?

Well let's see. We can probably get a player similar to Kotchman just for Bradford, Tejada could net 2-3 top prospects, and Millar could also get a top 15 prospect. So trading all 3 for Kotchman would be a big mistake

Tejada could net 2-3 top prospects.

I think you are overvaluing Tejada right now. There are too many questions about how well he might be able to perform down the stretch for a team to mortgage their future. The Miguel Tejada of the last calendar year - the one with 43 XBH in his last 567 ABs is not going to get 2-3 top prospects unless we're using a very liberal definition for top prospects.

Archived