Tejada Blurb: Angels interested again?

broberts

A Max Ramirez type sounds about right for Millar.

Sickels had him at #11 in the Indians system preseason, with a B- grade: "I love his bat, but his glove is shaky."

BA didn't have Ramirez in the Indians' preseason top 10. After the trade, they said:

Ramirez sounds precisely like a fringey/flawed prospect with some upside... just like what I said Millar would be worth.

Max Ramirez is putting up a .924 OPS in the Carolina League. He destroyed the Sally to a similar tune last season. And he's a catcher.

Pope was last seen hitting .107 and striking out in nearly half his at-bats in the NYPL.

Ramirez isn't Lastings Milledge, but I'd certainly value Ramirez much, much more than some toolsy guy like Pope who hasn't played an inning of full-season ball yet.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So this "fringe" prospect reaped Wickman and the next year Lofton----seems like some, obviously stupid GMs really over-valued this fringer----glad you bring "perspective"---

So you have a different definition of "fringe." BFD. I'd say a guy that's with his third organization in a year and has yet to get out of A-ball in 4 seasons would be a qualifier, but hey, whatever.

The fact remains that IMO Millar is worth roughly as much as Wickman last year, and Lofton this year. And that's a guy like Max Ramirez, regardless of what tag you want to hang on him.

I think Millar can net a 5-10 type guy....It will depend on the system and the team to determine that player...In some organizations, one of their top 5 guys may be a fringe top 10 guy in another organization.

Millar has a lot of qualities a team would want and he isn't a rental.

I think Millar can net a 5-10 type guy....It will depend on the system and the team to determine that player...In some organizations, one of their top 5 guys may be a fringe top 10 guy in another organization.

Millar has a lot of qualities a team would want and he isn't a rental.

Right now I won't trade Millar unless it is a solid 5-10 prospect. I am thinking we should do a Bradford/Millar package for a top 5 prospect. I won't trade Millar unless we get the right prospect because he is a solid hitter and likely would do the same thing next season for us at 1st base and we can trade him at that time.

So you have a different definition of "fringe." BFD. I'd say a guy that's with his third organization in a year and has yet to get out of A-ball in 4 seasons would be a qualifier, but hey, whatever.

The fact remains that IMO Millar is worth roughly as much as Wickman last year, and Lofton this year. And that's a guy like Max Ramirez, regardless of what tag you want to hang on him.

But you said earlier that Millar was worth a Kieron-Pope type. It's pretty clear that Pope isn't in the same stratosphere as Ramirez. A recent BP article tabbed Ramirez as the #7 catcher in the minors.

I guess you think of yourself as the objective voice here among the Orioles homers, but valuing Millar as worth Kieron Pope, or considering him to be the same as Kenny Lofton or Bob Wickman is laughable. In a market where a decent middle reliever is flipped for a top 100 prospect plus a few fringe guys, you'd better believe that a player with an .850ish OPS can net you a pretty good return.

But you said earlier that Millar was worth a Kieron-Pope type. It's pretty clear that Pope isn't in the same stratosphere as Ramirez. A recent BP article tabbed Ramirez as the #7 catcher in the minors.

I guess you think of yourself as the objective voice here among the Orioles homers, but valuing Millar as worth Kieron Pope, or considering him to be the same as Kenny Lofton or Bob Wickman is laughable. In a market where a decent middle reliever is flipped for a top 100 prospect plus a few fringe guys, you'd better believe that a player with an .850ish OPS can net you a pretty good return.

Well isn't this a fascinating turn of events.

What I'm hearing you say is that I'm guilty of OVERvaluing an O's prospect (Kieron Pope).

Imagine that!

Dave doesn't think any Oriole has value but hey, he is here to bring us "perspective". :rolleyes:

Au contraire, mon friere. Apparently I've attributed TOO MUCH value to Kieron Pope. My bad! I (and Baseball America, who lists Pope at #10) are apparently wrong to use Pope as an example of the top 5-10 type prospect that everybody and their brother seems to believe Millar should be worth.

Well isn't this a fascinating turn of events.

What I'm hearing you say is that I'm guilty of OVERvaluing an O's prospect (Kieron Pope).

Imagine that!

Au contraire, mon friere. Apparently I've attributed TOO MUCH value to Kieron Pope. My bad! I (and Baseball America, who lists Pope at #10) are apparently wrong to use Pope as an example of the top 5-10 type prospect that everybody and their brother seems to believe Millar should be worth.

I find it funny that you are using preseason rankings in this thread but in the Tex thread on the board and i said those are the Braves top 3 prospects, you talk about how that has changed.

So which is it? Do you use different sets of rankings depending on what makes your argument look better??

I find it funny that you are using preseason rankings in this thread but in the Tex thread on the board and i said those are the Braves top 3 prospects, you talk about how that has changed.

So which is it? Do you use different sets of rankings depending on what makes your argument look better??

Where did I say anything had changed?

What I said was, essentially, there's two sides to every story: you can say "Braves top 3 prospects" and I can say, 1 guy that had a 730 OPS in AA, one guy that can't hit in A-ball, and one guy with blah peripherals throughout his MiL career.

Don't make your struggles with reading comprehension my problem SG.

Where did I say anything had changed?

What I said was, essentially, there's two sides to every story: you can say "Braves top 3 prospects" and I can say, 1 guy that had a 730 OPS in AA, one guy that can't hit in A-ball, and one guy with blah peripherals throughout his MiL career.

Don't make your struggles with reading comprehension my problem SG.

Well, use that same theory in this thread.

Well, use that same theory in this thread.

That's exactly what I'm doing, for crying out loud.

Everyone's treating this Max Ramirez guy as if he and Joe Mauer were separated at birth.

I'm here giving the other side of the story. The guy's a flawed A-ball prospect with some upside... exactly the kind of return you should expect for a Wickman/Lofton/Millar type.

That's exactly what I'm doing, for crying out loud.

Everyone's treating this Max Ramirez guy as if he and Joe Mauer were separated at birth.

I'm here giving the other side of the story. The guy's a flawed A-ball prospect with some upside.

No you aren't...You were shown that is ridiculous to think we get a guy like Pope who is showing he isn't that good.

Then, you were shown that Ramirez is better than him by far.

So, if Pope is a fringe top 10 guy right now, Ramirez is much better than that.

And if you don't think Pope is a fringe top 10 guy anymore, than you need to come up with a better example.

No you aren't...You were shown that is ridiculous to think we get a guy like Pope who is showing he isn't that good.

Then, you were shown that Ramirez is better than him by far.

So, if Pope is a fringe top 10 guy right now, Ramirez is much better than that.

And if you don't think Pope is a fringe top 10 guy anymore, than you need to come up with a better example.

What do you want out of me here?

Do you want me to agree that Kieron Pope sucks?

Fine.

Kieron Pope sucks.

Feel better now?

What do you want out of me here?

Do you want me to agree that Kieron Pope sucks?

Fine.

Kieron Pope sucks.

Feel better now?

Dave...Eight said to you that to think all we can get is a Pope-type prospect for Millar, you are crazy. You said he was a fringe top 10 guy but yet you ignored his numbers.

All i am saying is that you need a different example of the type of player we should get for Millar.

Dave...Eight said to you that to think all we can get is a Pope-type prospect for Millar, you are crazy. You said he was a fringe top 10 guy but yet you ignored his numbers.

All i am saying is that you need a different example of the type of player we should get for Millar.

How about Max Ramirez. I hear he's a catcher or something.

Archived