Andujar requests trade

Sports Guy

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Explain to me why you hated the Odor pickup but think getting Andujar would be “trying to improve the team.”   Andújar has been in the league since 2017 and had one good season, 2018.   Since then he has a .589 OPS and has been worth -1.7 rWAR.   He’s 27 years old.  Odor has a .690 OPS and has been worth -0.4 rWAR in that same period.  He’s 28.   So tell me why Andujar would be a good move but getting Odor was a terrible one.   

Even in his one good season, Andujar was abysmal at 3B, -29 Rtot and -21 Rdrs.   So Urias “isn’t a 3B,” but Andujar is?   I beg to differ.   

Meanwhile, Urias has been worth 3.3 rWAR in his 141 major league games, including 1.3 rWAR this year.  Andujar has been worth 1.4 rWAR in his career, only because he was worth 2.9 rWAR in 2018.   So where’s the upgrade here?

I’m partially just playing devil’s advocate here.   I didn’t want Odor, and I do think Andujar has some talent.  But he’s a bad defender and it seems he may be a bit of a problem child.   I don’t think he’d be any big upgrade for us.  

I know you are playing devils advocate here but at the same time you clearly recognize that we are at two totally different times in the development of this team.  You could be totally against the Odor signing at the time, thinking the Orioles should have been trying to build a more complete team with longer term answers.  

While at the same time recognizing that mid way through another lost season (which didn't have to be - but for signings like Odor), the Orioles should be trying to acquire as much talent as possible and that means, 27 year olds who at one time put up an .855 OPS.

9 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

You acquire talent.  Period.  You don't sit around drawing linear paths from fill ins to prospects.  

When will people understand this? You want to be more like Tampa, thats how.

Wouldn't Andujar require giving up talent? Are you assuming the Yankees would just give him away?

12 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I know you are playing devils advocate here but at the same time you clearly recognize that we are at two totally different times in the development of this team.  You could be totally against the Odor signing at the time, thinking the Orioles should have been trying to build a more complete team with longer term answers.  

While at the same time recognizing that mid way through another lost season (which didn't have to be - but for signings like Odor), the Orioles should be trying to acquire as much talent as possible and that means, 27 year olds who at one time put up an .855 OPS.

Where would Andujar play for the O's.   He is not good defensively at 3B.  He is not getting at bat at 1B,  He will not play over Hays or Santander.  At best he is a bench player which he is unhappy with for the Yankees. 

He already has 3 year of major league service so he is in his first arbitration year making 1.3m.  He is not going to be happy being optioned to AAA.  That is where he is now and he is asking to be traded.

He does not fit with the O's.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Where would Andujar play for the O's.   He is not good defensively at 3B.  He is not getting at bat at 1B,  He will not play over Hays or Santander.  At best he is a bench player which he is unhappy with for the Yankees. 

He already has 3 year of major league service so he is in his first arbitration year making 1.3m.  He is not going to be happy being optioned to AAA.  That is where he is now and he is asking to be traded.

Neither does Nevin yet here we are.    😉

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why do you care about defense on a team going nowhere?  His value is his bat, and if it can be rejuvenated he has value.  

I am not saying he is your long term answer.  When Tampa acquired Isaac Paredes this off season.  A player who plays 2B, and would be behind another player, Lowe, the Rays just signed long term and another player, Brujan, who is a top 100 prospect,  were they thinking "this guy is a long term answer!".  No.  They were thinking, this is a guy we can get cheap who put up a .845 OPS last year in the minors.  If we have a few injuries or he finds his bat in the majors we can ship out him, or Lowe, or Brujan and get value back.

People on this site were drooling over Urias putting up a sub .800 OPS last season thinking he could be a long term answer.

Andujar at his best was significantly better.

So yes, if you can get him cheap you decrease other players playing time, or he fills in when a player gets injured in a week, or you stick him at DH occasionally.

You see if you can get value.

8 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Why do you care about defense on a team going nowhere? 

I don't know how you watch the O's this year and ask this question.  Defense is a big reason why this years team is better than last year.  

Andujar is unhappy with a backup role.  He is not going to quietly wait on the bench or in AAA.   That seems pretty clear from the way he is speaking out.

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wildcard rocks, lol. He always makes great points! 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I don't know how you watch the O's this year and ask this question.  Defense is a big reason why this years team is better than last year.  

Andujar is unhappy with a backup role.  He is not going to quietly wait on the bench or in AAA.   That seems pretty clear from the way he is speaking out.

And when the record matteragain.  No, when ownership deems that the record should matter again, then defense should matter. 

1.  Its not everything, its a factor, but the point is scoring more runs than the other team and there are a lot of ways that equation can go. 

2.  I am glad you are happy with "a better" team, you have bought in to the drivel this ownership wanted you to buy in to.  Whether the Orioles finish with 60 wins or 70 doesn't matter, ownership didn't make meaningful additions to this team.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not sure how good our defense has been.  I think we are 28th of 30 in fielding % and 5th highest in unearned runs allowed.  Some advanced metrics are positive, others are negative.  We’ve been better at turning DP’s for sure.   

8 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Rob, want to edit thread title with a "plus Willie Calhoun DFA"?

There's another guy to Mateo-ink into the lineup six solid weeks and see what happens.

Left-handed balance!!

As home for Trey, Rangers using Nate Lowe and Mitch Garver (bad elbow like Bryce, I believe) as 1B/DH regulars.

Memorial Day over, calendar says June, moving time beginning.

I was hoping we would claim Cole Tucker after the Pirates DFA'd him last week, but I saw today that he was claimed by the Diamondbacks.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Neither does Nevin yet here we are.    😉

Nevin is a AAA player who came up for Owings. I’m fine with replacing Andujar for him. 

Unless you are ready to move Urias to second base i don’t see a fit. 

1 hour ago, rm5678 said:

I was hoping we would claim Cole Tucker after the Pirates DFA'd him last week, but I saw today that he was claimed by the Diamondbacks.

It should be noted that it’s the record in the current season that determines the order of waiver claims.   So we’re not even first in line in the AL at the moment. 

• Upvote 1