Henderson and Westburg promoted to Norfolk

MurphDogg

Just now, Sports Guy said:

At this point, why keep Guterriez around either?

I wonder if we could package him and either Vavra or Bannon in a trade deal.  It would be nice to get something in return, even if it is a lottery ticket prospect.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

At this point, why keep Guterriez around either?

The only reason is IF they are working on some changes and think he can adjust and improve with the bat. But if he was released, not any issue with it. He had his chance and went back to his old mechanics.

I would DFA Bannon first, though. I would replace Owings with Martin at this point. It’s time for both moves to be made. Grenier can be a UTL 2B/SS for now. They do not value the guy, that’s obvious, but he is a very good defender. Shed Long is just getting started. I would hold onto him for now. 

5 minutes ago, yark14 said:

I wonder if we could package him and either Vavra or Bannon in a trade deal.  It would be nice to get something in return, even if it is a lottery ticket prospect.

I would think that Gutierrez  and Bannon have zero trade value.

9 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

The only reason is IF they are working on some changes and think he can adjust and improve with the bat. But if he was released, not any issue with it. He had his chance and went back to his old mechanics.

I would DFA Bannon first, though. I would replace Owings with Martin at this point. It’s time for both moves to be made. Grenier can be a UTL 2B/SS for now. They do not value the guy, that’s obvious, but he is a very good defender. Shed Long is just getting started. I would hold onto him for now. 

I would like to see Bannon with more MLB time. I think he has more pop than Nevin, who is getting a lot of chances. 

Martin, Nevin, Bannon, Owings, and Gutierrez are all AAA players. Martin at least brings some speed to the utility job. honestly, you can throw Grenier in there as well since he brings above average defense at 2B and average defense at SS.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Martin, Nevin, Bannon, Owings, and Gutierrez are all AAA players. Martin at least brings some speed to the utility job. honestly, you can throw Grenier in there as well since he brings above average defense at 2B and average defense at SS.

The weird thing about Martin is that Elias has not used him as a UIF.   He has mostly played SS though the role he would probably be tried at in the majors is the role that Owings have been playing at 2B/SS/3B.

Martin has not played a full season since 2019 because of injuries. He really has not been tested in the majors since the year he was taken in the Rule 5 draft where the jump from AA to the majors was too much for him.

This season he has a  296/389/441/829  at AAA with 15 steal in 17 tries in roughly a third of a season,  175 plate appearances.  He strikes out about 20% of the time.    These numbers should get him a try in the majors.  But we will see.

Glad to see Westburg too - this does a lot for me to move the needle on "Is this player getting 500 at-bats for the 2023 Orioles" from Maybe to Yes.    The surface results themselves are noise, deployment decisions like this are signal.

Now let's see if either one can keep a position more than 48 hours straight.   The Bowie 2022 as shortstop numbers:

Gunnar: 157 innings, 6 errors in 76 total chances, FPCT = .921    (.966 as third baseman)

Westburg: 103 innings, 1 error in 31 total chances, FPCT = .968

That does look like Gunnar ~250% of the chances in ~150% of the innings, so would guess Range tilts his way, assuming nobody is Kelly Leak-ing popups.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Both have been hitting really good over the last three weeks and there's no one playing Norfolk that is a priority play at SS and 3B. 

This allows Ortiz to play everyday at SS and Prieto at 2B in Bowie. The question is who will now play 3B there. Mayo has not earned a promotion to Bowie so they may just stick an org guy like Cullen or Graffinino to play there or I guess they could send Dorrien back since he pretty much failed AAA.

Welk still not close to coming back?  He was also shaky at 3B but he might be an option at 3B for Bowie at some point.   Until then, you're probably right.  Cullen or Graffanino.