Some Os players will miss the Toronto series

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is bull****.   I'm assuming most every team that travels to Toronto won't be at full strength?  

Whatever.

Oh, and...

CITO SUCKS

Yep, it's been going on all season.   Twins put 4 guys on the restricted list last week, OF Max Kepler and 3 relievers.   White Sox starter Dylan Cease didn't make a recent trip, but they knew in advance so they juggled their rotation so he wouldn't have started anyway, and then they put him on the list and were able to get an extra pitcher for the series so you could argue they actually had the advantage there.   One really odd situation was Seattle starter Robbie Ray, who went on the list and didn't make the trip to Toronto in May.  He actually pitched FOR the Blue Jays in 2021 and won the Cy Young.   The only assumption one can make is that last year he met the qualification of having been vaccinated, but he did not get the booster that came out last fall, which was added to the requirement by Canada this year.  Boston P Tanner Houck didn't make a trip. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thanks, Tony.   I will be interested to see who we need to replace.   It certainly is a competitive advantage for Toronto.  

SG inquired whether Stowers will be called up, if Santander is on the list.  I doubt it. He’s not on the 40 and I don’t think we’d put him there to staff a 4-man series.  I’d guess we’ll get by with McKenna and Mancini.

That's the most likely scenario I agree. Still, Elias could surprise. Stowers is not young and looks to be pretty close.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yep, it's been going on all season.   Twins put 4 guys on the restricted list last week, OF Max Kepler and 3 relievers.   White Sox starter Dylan Cease didn't make a recent trip, but they knew in advance so they juggled their rotation so he wouldn't have started anyway, and then they put him on the list and were able to get an extra pitcher for the series so you could argue they actually had the advantage there.   One really odd situation was Seattle starter Robbie Ray, who went on the list and didn't make the trip to Toronto in May.  He actually pitched FOR the Blue Jays in 2021 and won the Cy Young.   The only assumption one can make is that last year he met the qualification of having been vaccinated, but he did not get the booster that came out last fall, which was added to the requirement by Canada this year.  Boston P Tanner Houck didn't make a trip. 

Looks like in 2021 they made an exemption for non vaccinated  players. 2022 had to be vaccinated. So maybe Ray never left the hotel and stadium. 

Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino said unvaccinated players and staff will not be permitted to go anywhere but the hotel and stadium and will have no interaction with the general public. There will also be a designated compliance officer for each team.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Looks like in 2021 they made an exemption for non vaccinated  players. 2022 had to be vaccinated. So maybe Ray never left the hotel and stadium. 

Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino said unvaccinated players and staff will not be permitted to go anywhere but the hotel and stadium and will have no interaction with the general public. There will also be a designated compliance officer for each team.

Wait, I thought they would not let them in the country? Honestly, this makes a lot more sense than denying them access to the country.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is bull****.   I'm assuming most every team that travels to Toronto won't be at full strength?

Toronto is 18-10 at home, 15-13 on the road.   So, perhaps it’s helping them, or perhaps it’s a coincidence.  Not a huge sample.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Toronto is 18-10 at home, 15-13 on the road.   So, perhaps it’s helping them, or perhaps it’s a coincidence.  Not a huge sample.   

Don't most teams usually have a better home then away record in general ?  Orioles are .500 at home and nine games under on the road. Last year only two teams had a better road then home record,Braves and Brewers. Four teams had identical home and away records. Yankees,Indians, A's and Cardinals. 

27 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Don't most teams usually have a better home then away record in general ?  Orioles are .500 at home and nine games under on the road. Last year only two teams had a better road then home record,Braves and Brewers. Four teams had identical home and away records. Yankees,Indians, A's and Cardinals. 

You sort of answered your own question.  So far this year, teams have a .515 winning % at home, .485 on the road.  The Jays have a considerably better H/R split than that, .643 at home and .536 on the road.  But it would be impossible to say whether the roster restrictions on their opponents are the reason.  Every year there are teams that have larger than average H/R splits in their W-L record, and this sample just isn’t very big.  

There are a bunch of silver linings.

Since guys who don't get vaccinated aren't paid for games they miss, the owner might save a few dollars. (Depends on who they are.)

The general manager doesn't much care who wins the games in Toronto, and he may get the chance to look at a few more AAA/AAAA players who get added for Canada Ball.

The Orioles and their fans -- with a few exception -- don't have to worry about the possibility that the less-than-complete Orioles will lose a bunch of games in TOR, then miss the playoffs by a game or two. 

Eh?

• Upvote 1

I think McKenna will get Santander’s ABs and we’ll add Martin. Martin will then replace Owings as the Util guy as the new norm. We have to add Martin anyways. Adding Stowers would mean having to clear two 40 man roster spots. We don’t have a world beater 40 man, but it’s always nice to have flexibility.

I don’t think Stowers is up until Mancini and/or Santander is traded. Plus, taking away 40 man flexibility now might limit us to what we could get back in trade packages and waiver claims.