Who do you want? Who do we take?

59 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

And as an aside, Andruw Jones earned $128 million through baseball. Matt Holliday earned almost $160 million.

I'm not saying they'll try to drive their children to a preferred destination, but they do fit the profile of people who have the luxury of doing that. See Manning, Eli.

And I have no idea if the O's are a preferred destination based on their current player development, or less of one based on their ownership situation. I'd probably be neutral if I were about to be drafted by them. Certainly a better destination than some orgs.

O's aren't signing many premium free agents to block a top prospects path to the majors.  If a prospect signs with say the Dodgers, the Dodgers will likely have a former All Star or even MVP playing his position when he is ready for the majors.

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It seems like a guy w/ maybe the "best HS bat in the last 20 years" would dominate whatever wooden bat league he was in.  Raises lots of questions about Termarr.  I would be surprised if the O's don't have someone there. 

Depends on who's in that league to some degree... But he would be among the younger players there as an in-coming freshman.  But a good showing would ease a lot of minds.

Summer Collegiate Leagues (thebaseballobserver.com)

I stumbled across the league Johnson is in...  His team is putting up some decent run totals, but he's slashing .188/.297/.250 (.547 OPS).  Only 32 ABs, so SSS.  (2 for 4 in SB to give a hint at speed.)

Sunbelt Baseball League | Home Page | Pointstreak Stats

32 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Depends on who's in that league to some degree... But he would be among the younger players there as an in-coming freshman.  But a good showing would ease a lot of minds.

Summer Collegiate Leagues (thebaseballobserver.com)

I stumbled across the league Johnson is in...  His team is putting up some decent run totals, but he's slashing .188/.297/.250 (.547 OPS).  Only 32 ABs, so SSS.  (2 for 4 in SB to give a hint at speed.)

Sunbelt Baseball League | Home Page | Pointstreak Stats

It is a SSS but it’s still a sample that matters.

The reality is that all these sample sizes are small but when he’s going up against better competition with wood bats and he struggles, that’s something to consider.

Now, if he is smashing the ball but it’s right at people, that needs to be accounted for as well.

The usual players linked to the Orioles at 1-1 are all worthy in some way. This thread is all over the place, and some interesting discussion. Any guesses who they take is just that, a guess.

I think it will come down to who impresses Elias with a mix of intangibles, talent and bonus demands. The only thing that concerns me about Druw Jones is that he is already a bit of a rock star or NBA player mentality. I’m not saying that precludes the Orioles from taking him, but I don’t think it’s a good thing either. Still a great competitor, but I would need to be sure that his make up will sustain him. I would want to know what drives him.

I thought Elias’ recent comments that there was not a clear #1, not a Griffey, Harper or ARod type were interesting. To me, that was posturing for the negotiations with Druw Jones. It leads me to think Jones’ bonus demands are huge. 

With Termarr Johnson, the body type scares me. He has a great swing and all, but Gregg Jeffries was supposed to the same great hitter and we see how that worked out. Different era, I know, but same scout rhetoric. Seems to have great make up, though. 

Lee might be the safest pick. A mature college switch-hitter. It just feels like we’d be settling a bit here.

Greene seems to have great make up, and physical talent is head and shoulder above all. Will he hit enough?

Collier has made a nice rise. I don’t know very much about him. I have not seen much video. I have read the same things everyone else has. A bit of a wild card to me.

Jackson Holliday has really risen up. The make up is supposed to be outstanding. He has worked very hard since last summer to make himself the prospect he is. The talent, athleticism and strength are legit. Not quite the special athlete that Jones and Greene are, but more likely to hit and stay at SS. Will he take a bit of a discount? 

Someone said they thought 2B and 3B were as valuable as CF. I don’t agree, and that is not what the industry thinks either. That said, if it is at least average MLB defense at those positions and the bat is all star caliber, cool. But those positions are not valued the same.

All of that said, my guess…

I want: Jones

They take: Holliday

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

The usual players linked to the Orioles at 1-1 are all worthy in some way. This thread is all over the place, and some interesting discussion. Any guesses who they take is just that, a guess.

I think it will come down to who impresses Elias with a mix of intangibles, talent and bonus demands. The only thing that concerns me about Druw Jones is that he is already a bit of a rock star or NBA player mentality. I’m not saying that precludes the Orioles from taking him, but I don’t think it’s a good thing either. Still a great competitor, but I would need to be sure that his make up will sustain him. I would want to know what drives him.

I thought Elias’ recent comments that there was not a clear #1, not a Griffey, Harper or ARod type were interesting. To me, that was posturing for the negotiations with Druw Jones. It leads me to think Jones’ bonus demands are huge. 

With Termarr Johnson, the body type scares me. He has a great swing and all, but Gregg Jeffries was supposed to the same great hitter and we see how that worked out. Different era, I know, but same scout rhetoric. Seems to have great make up, though. 

Lee might be the safest pick. A mature college switch-hitter. It just feels like we’d be settling a bit here.

Greene seems to have great make up, and physical talent is head and shoulder above all. Will he hit enough?

Collier has made a nice rise. I don’t know very much about him. I have not seen much video. I have read the same things everyone else has. A bit of a wild card to me.

Jackson Holliday has really risen up. The make up is supposed to be outstanding. He has worked very hard since last summer to make himself the prospect he is. The talent, athleticism and strength are legit. Not quite the special athlete that Jones and Greene are, but more likely to hit and stay at SS. Will he take a bit of a discount? 

Someone said they thought 2B and 3B were as valuable as CF. I don’t agree, and that is not what the industry thinks either. That said, if it is at least average MLB defense at those positions and the bat is all star caliber, cool. But those positions are not valued the same.

All of that said, my guess…

I want: Jones

They take: Holliday

I just looked Jeffries up.  14 years, .289 BA,19 rWAR.

Could do worse.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could do worse.

I don't believe Jeffries was a top 5 pick either.  The expectations were outrageous based on the outrageous numbers he put up in A ball and AA.  He actually only hit .280 in AAA so there were warning signs that he might not be Pete Rose II.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could do worse.

The point was he was nowhere near the hitter he was supposed to be. And he was not a good defender. Ended up at 1B. He was supposed to be a perennial all star at 2B. 

Not a comp, just a reminder that these scout labels are often just rhetoric. They don’t know if he’ll hit or not. Looks good, right now. Players mostly fail because of intangibles and things off the field.

Two guys that "mentality" reminds me of are Bryce Harper and Manny Machado. I'm not sure it's fair to say NBA style egos. I think it's more about people's reaction to fame, which you get less of in MLB than the NBA where darn near every team has a star.

I'm buying the talent first. If Jones is that type of talent, sometimes ego comes with that. If that's not ruinous ego, you gladly accept it as part of the package.

• Upvote 1