Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

23 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I think the last team to have three position players come up and immediately solve their problems and thrust a team into contention was Jeter, Williams, Posada.

I still can't believe these three will immediately be the cureall to everything.

I understand Henderson is likely to be the top rated prospect in the minors come mid season rankings, but even guys like Kyle Tucker took time and seasoning.

I still think the Orioles should be in the market for long term middle infield help if they can.

If even one of them proves a strong solution to a glaring weakness, that will make a significant impact.  And no, I don’t expect anyone to walk on water from the moment they arrive.   

17 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Mancini is .2 better in career OPS. Benintendi has been worth 14.3 WAR vs 9.5 WAR. Trey offers more pop but less speed and fielding. Sure it’s pick your poison I suppose. But, I think I’d prefer Benintendi if I were trading for a player.

18 hours ago, Roll Tide said:
22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Depends what you’re looking for.   Benintendi is probably the better all around player, Mancini is the better bat, especially if you’re looking for some power.   I doubt teams looking at Mancini plan to use him primarily as an outfielder.   

Mancini is .2 better in career OPS. Benintendi has been worth 14.3 WAR vs 9.5 WAR. Trey offers more pop but less speed and fielding. Sure it’s pick your poison I suppose. But, I think I’d prefer Benintendi if I were trading for a player.

Looking a little closer at the numbers, Mancini is clearly the better option from an offensive perspective.  First, Mancini loses a lot of WAR because of his outfield defense and positional adjustment from his innings at 1B and DH, but that is really more of an issue for free agency dollars rather than the trade value of a rental bat.  That is,  if a team needs a bat, but not an every day corner outfielder, the positional value is going to be much less of a concern since teams need to fill all 9 positions.  Second, Mancini's numbers are vastly superior over the last four years, despite the fact that Mancini was coming off of chemotherapy last year.  Since 2019, Benintendi has produced 7 rBAT (avg. of 2 rBAT per 650 PAs), and in 1517 PAs has OPS'd .760, OPS+'d 103, and hit 33 HR.  In comparison, Mancini has produced 41 rBAT (avg. of 17 rBAT per 650 PAs), and in 1591 PAs has OPS'd .821, OPS+'d 121, and hit 63 HR.  This year, Benintendi's power is really down with just 16 total extra base hits (and just 3 HR) .  In addition, Benintendi's base running has not been great recently, as he has 9 SB and 11 CS and an rBASER of -3 over the last two years.  Obviously, his poor base stealing is negatively impacting his rBASER rating, so that number can likely be improved just from not attempting to steal.  But for comparison, Mancini is only -2 rBASER over the last two years, so, from a WAR standpoint, Trey has been the better overall baserunner during that period.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Looking a little closer at the numbers, Mancini is clearly the better option from an offensive perspective.  First, Mancini loses a lot of WAR because of his outfield defense and positional adjustment from his innings at 1B and DH, but that is really more of an issue for free agency dollars rather than the trade value of a rental bat.  That is,  if a team needs a bat, but not an every day corner outfielder, the positional value is going to be much less of a concern since teams need to fill all 9 positions.  Second, Mancini's numbers are vastly superior over the last four years, despite the fact that Mancini was coming off of chemotherapy last year.  Since 2019, Benintendi has produced 7 rBAT (avg. of 2 rBAT per 650 PAs), and in 1517 PAs has OPS'd .760, OPS+'d 103, and hit 33 HR.  In comparison, Mancini has produced 41 rBAT (avg. of 17 rBAT per 650 PAs), and in 1591 PAs has OPS'd .821, OPS+'d 121, and hit 63 HR.  This year, Benintendi's power is really down with just 16 total extra base hits (and just 3 HR) .  In addition, Benintendi's base running has not been great recently, as he has 9 SB and 11 CS and an rBASER of -3 over the last two years.  Obviously, his poor base stealing is negatively impacting his rBASER rating, so that number can likely be improved just from not attempting to steal.  But for comparison, Mancini is only -2 rBASER over the last two years, so, from a WAR standpoint, Trey has been the better overall baserunner during that period.

Lately??? Benintendi has been worth 4.2 war since the beginning of 2021 and Mancini  has been worth 2.3. If you go back to 2019 Trea has a big season so that yanks things. But, it’s not lately. Trea missed the all of 2020 and Benintendi only had 50abs and didn’t handle the shutdown well based on his numbers.

Also Benintendi is a good defensive outfielder. He obviously lost a step after 2019 and probably should’ve stopped trying to steal. But he’s like 1-2 this season. So he’s really not running. Those numbers could be hit and run situations 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, Camden_yardbird said:

I think the last team to have three position players come up and immediately solve their problems and thrust a team into contention was Jeter, Williams, Posada.

I still can't believe these three will immediately be the cureall to everything.

I understand Henderson is likely to be the top rated prospect in the minors come mid season rankings, but even guys like Kyle Tucker took time and seasoning.

I still think the Orioles should be in the market for long term middle infield help if they can.

They don’t need to be all stars.  The would just need to be better than Odor, Mateo and Nevin/Urias to have a significant overall impact on this team.  I think the odds of the youngsters being better than that group is pretty good.  The current bottom three in our lineup are flat out bad.