O's on the edge of contention in July

wildcard

48 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

You do not get nothing, you get two months of a good bat and strong veteran leadership.  If Mancini's next two months are nothing why would anyone trade for him.

Not what I meant.  You get nothing that can help us in the future.  So that is a change in strategy.  What I’m saying is that I wouldn’t want to put any eggs in the 2022 basket unless our mathematical playoff odds had reached at least 20% by the time we have to make a decision.  They’re increasing every day right now, so we’ll see where they are 2-3 days from the trade deadline.  

29 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

The strategy of winning now affects more than this year.  If you want to make a case to Joe Musgrove to play here, coming to a winning team with a bright future makes for a great sales pitch.

How would Joe Musgrove and his agent look at a team that refused to upgrade for 2023 and beyond because they had a 10% shot at the 2022 wildcard?  Especially if the likely case happens and even keeping Mancini and Santander the Orioles win 78 or 82 games or something and are eight or ten games out of the last wildcard?

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How would Joe Musgrove and his agent look at a team that refused to upgrade for 2023 and beyond because they had a 10% shot at the 2022 wildcard?  Especially if the likely case happens and even keeping Mancini and Santander the Orioles win 78 or 82 games or something and are eight or ten games out of the last wildcard?

We’re 38-30 over the last 68 games with a +15 run differential. We’re 28-19 over the last 47 with a +25 run differential. It’s ok to believe. 

9 minutes ago, waroriole said:

We’re 38-30 over the last 68 games with a +15 run differential. We’re 28-19 over the last 47 with a +25 run differential. It’s ok to believe. 

I certainly believe that the Orioles are capable of having a 68-game span where they're a bit above .500 when things break right.

Remember when the Orioles traded six years of Eduardo Rodriguez for 27 innings of Andrew Miller? They lost that trade 15-1.  That's what I don't want them to be on the wrong side of this year, not when the very likely case is they don't even get a wildcard birth.  At least the 2014 Orioles were a 96-win team with a real shot.

I get that its unlikely Mancini and/or Santander brings back a piece.  But then remember that Bud Norris cost Josh "534 Ks in 312 innings" Hader and additional stuff. Lost that trade about 12-1.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Remember when the Orioles traded six years of Eduardo Rodriguez for 27 innings of Andrew Miller? They lost that trade 15-1.  That's what I don't want them to be on the wrong side of this year, not when the very likely case is they don't even get a wildcard birth.  At least the 2014 Orioles were a 96-win team with a real shot.

I get that its unlikely Mancini and/or Santander brings back a piece.  But then remember that Bud Norris cost Josh "534 Ks in 312 innings" Hader and additional stuff. Lost that trade about 12-1.

Yeah, I'm not advocating for a trade.  I say stand pat and let this play out.  I believe what we have is more valuable then anything we would get.

3 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

Yeah, I'm not advocating for a trade.  I say stand pat and let this play out.  I believe what we have is more valuable then anything we would get.

I'd be ok with not trading away Mancini and seeing where things go. That trade isn't likely to change the course of the organization one way or the other.

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

What change in strategy?  Are talking about delaying trading players for a few months.   That does not change the strategy.  Its just delays it a few months in order to keep a together  a team that is surging trying to achieve a playoff berth.   

Offering players to teams who have decided they are in the race and are thus willing to pay more is a tremendously important factor.

2 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

I believe it is time to stop adding random pieces and lottery tickets.  The Orioles need to start targeting what we need and that is starting pitching.  I think the best way to add starting pitching  twill be thru free agency. 

Really?  What potential FA pitcher would you like to see the Os go after? And is it realistic to think they will pay for them for 3+ year deals.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-2022-23-free-agents-by-position