2022 2nd Round Pick (#42): Max Wagner - 3B - (Jr) Clemson University

Just now, Yossarian said:

I like this 1B from Texas better if we're taking another college bat. 

Why no pitching?

I'm not going to argue about the guy from Texas.

I don't think anyone should find Elias picking college bats and avoiding pitching to be a surprise.

At this point it's a pattern.

Law thinks maybe he ends up at 2nd:

Wagner is a draft-eligible sophomore who was undrafted out of high school in 2020 and hit just .214/.305/.345 as a sparsely-used freshman for Clemson, but he broke out in the Northwoods League last year and carried that into this spring, tying for third in Division I with 27 homers. He shortened up his path to the ball and stays inside it much better now, allowing the Green Bay native to make more contact and drive the ball consistently, with 60-70 power to his pull side and enough to hit a few out the other way. He doesn’t like the ball down, however, and the way his hands start makes him vulnerable to pretty much anything in the lower third of the zone and down.

He’s rough defensively at third and probably ends up in an outfield corner, although he might be better at second base than he is at the hot corner. It’s big power with bat speed for someone looking for an upside play among the college hitters.