Trade Deadline Primer/Thread

Roll Tide

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they just dump Mancini and Lyles, it will make me believe that saving money is still a major priority.

We're 52-52...I don't think there's anything too wrong with dropping two players that make us marginally better to save money.

Ideally we'd package them with Tate and López who I don't think are going to ever have higher value. Santander too you can make a case, though you could also make the case that next season he could produce even better numbers. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That is a nice start to, hopefully, a busy trading session.

yeah so the top two guys in saves traded for each other and the Brewers also get a decent few younger guys in return.  Hader was almst unhittable until he had those dreadful games and ballooned his numbers.  

2 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

We're 52-52...I don't think there's anything too wrong with dropping two players that make us marginally better to save money.

Ideally we'd package them with Tate and López who I don't think are going to ever have higher value. Santander too you can make a case, though you could also make the case that next season he could produce even better numbers. 

I think trading Lyles to save salary would be a troubling for the rotation depth and the future prospects for spending in '23. Mancini at least they have a replacement ready to go if he leaves. Not so with Lyles. 

19 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

There is enough value to what those 2 give you the rest of this year that you keep them unless it’s a good trade.  A dump just to save money isn’t a good trade imo.  That’s an ownership driven trade.

25 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Padres getting Josh Hader.  wow

It’s an interesting deal.  If Lamet can stay healthy, could be huge for Milwaukee. Otoh, I’m surprised they didn’t get more.  

I don’t think I would trade Lopez for the 2 prospects in this deal.

So Padres get Hader from the Brewers for Rogers, Lament( who has really struggled for them this season after a couple decent years), Ruiz just called up prospect who has fell down the rankings as he reached higher levels)  Gasser (CB pick from last year and hanging in there at A+).  The Padres were trying to cut salary to cut under the tax penalty but this wont help.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, coe76 said:

I am not convinced Elias does anything.  His penchant for secrecy makes online speculation a thriving endeavor but somehow there just seems to be more smoke than heat and fire.  

I dunno...was there any speculation about a Josh Hader trade before today?

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s an interesting deal.  If Lamet can stay healthy, could be huge for Milwaukee. Otoh, I’m surprised they didn’t get more.  

I don’t think I would trade Lopez for the 2 prospects in this deal.

They might be trying to get some salary relief for the future with Hader being last year arbitration.  He might get close to 15 million in that next year and they have Burns, Woodruff, and Adames all likely to get a decent raise in arbitration next year.  Rogers is only signed through this year and the Twins are picking up almost all his current contract.  

32 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Can you imagine this place if we were in the same position as the Brewers with one of the best closers in the game and are leading our division and the team trades away our closer.  

I'm sure you are largely correct here............but also bear in mind Hader has been exactly replacement level this year in bWAR.  Maybe MIL thinks he is on his way out.  shrug