A few interesting comments from Elias

Frobby

Here’s a few snippets from Roch’s report of Elias’ comments on the Mancini trade:

“I’m looking forward to seeing what we can discuss with Trey Mancini as a free agent.”

“we’re going to be in a position to see what free agency brings us both for Trey and for us.”

”it certainly is a bittersweet moment and it’s very emotional for me personally, and all of us saying goodbye to Trey for the next couple of months.”

“we’ve got another 24 hours or so before this trade deadline is expired.”

Elias said he’s having a “full spectrum of conversations” regarding other trades, with the deadline arriving Tuesday at 6 p.m.

“Things are moving very fast around the industry,” he said. “I can’t prognosticate anything right now, other than we’re listening and working on all types of possibilities.”

“ultimately, I have to tether my decisions to our outlook and the probabilities for this year. We have a shot at a wild card right now, but it is not a probability that we are going to win a wild card. We have all different ways of looking at that. And moves that we can make that can strengthen our chances for next season and the season beyond and the one beyond that are something that we have to continue to consider despite the tremendous progress that our players have made this year, and our coaches have made. And so ultimately, that’s why we did it.”

To summarize:

1.  Elias three times hinted they may try to bring Trey back as a free agent.  Maybe he was blowing smoke, but to say it three times, I have to believe there will actually be such discussions   Honestly the comments almost seemed like tampering, considering that Trey is now under contract to another team and has a mutual option.

2.  The O’s probably aren’t done trading.

3.  Elias didn’t really think we had a good shot at the playoffs this year and is still prioritizing the future.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-on-mancini-trade-and-reaction-from-orioles

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elias three times hinted they may try to bring Trey back as a free agent.  Maybe he was blowing smoke, but to say it three times, I have to believe there will actually be such discussions

I think it was just his way of trying to get the fans upset by the trade to calm down a little, I just don't really see any logical fit whatsoever for Trey on the 2023 Orioles unless Elias plans to trade Mountcastle.

• Upvote 2

I am okay with all of these points.  This year isn't our year.  But the thing this year is good for - it's teaching our guys how to win and giving them a taste of success.  Nothing is more demoralizing than going in to a game thinking you're going to lose.  This year is huge for the success of the future. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lopez and Lyles traded tomorrow. I thought between Mancini and Santander one of them would be traded. But, I think Elias could still trade Santander if he gets an offer he can't turn down. 

But, that would definitely hurt the lineup losing two of their key hitters. But I think with Adley on this team,  he's enough of a force to keep the Orioles in the fight for a wildcard spot. 

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think it was just his way of trying to get the fans upset by the trade to calm down a little, I just don't really see any logical fit whatsoever for Trey on the 2023 Orioles unless Elias plans to trade Mountcastle.

I am with you.  It doesn't come off like he's going have Trey and his agent on speed dial.  More of a there's some flexibility for both parties not so much that they will reunite. 

Assume Hays, Mullins, and Stowers is the OF next year. Would you rather have Santander or Mancini at DH? In my mind, they're roughly equal players, except Santander is 3 years younger, has more defensive value, and has 2 years of team control left after this year.

Of course, Mike will probably trade Santander tomorrow and make this a moot point.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lopez and Lyles traded tomorrow. I thought between Mancini and Santander one of them would be traded. But, I think Elias could still trade Santander if he gets an offer he can't turn down. 

But, that would definitely hurt the lineup losing two of their key hitters. But I think with Adley on this team,  he's enough of a force to keep the Orioles in the fight for a wildcard spot. 

I get that nobody (almost) is untouchable, but why in the world would they trade Lyles? They would need an immediate replacement to give us exactly what Lyles does, just to keep treading water and avoid torching the bullpen. BTW my candidate for a surprise move would be a trade of Hays. At 27, he's probably not going to get much better than he is now. Trade high. 

Edited by now

7 minutes ago, now said:

I get that nobody (almost) is untouchable, but why in the world would they trade Lyles? They would need an immediate replacement to give us exactly what Lyles does, just to keep treading water and avoid torching the bullpen. BTW my candidate for a surprise move would be a trade of Hays. At 27, he's probably not going to get much better than he is now. Trade high. 

I don't think Lyles will get traded because Elias won't get an offer appealing enough to pull the trigger. Even with as good as the Orioles have been this year Elias is still focused on the future. 

If Elias can trade for a player that he thinks will be a key member of the 2025 Orioles playoff team then Lyles will be gone. Matt Harvey is still in this organization for a reason and he gets called up if Lyles is dealt. Even if most if the fanbase doesn't want Harvey on the team. 

Hays would be a shocker, but I wouldn't rule it out totally. Elias probably only sees Adley and possibly Felix Bautista as the only truly untouchable current Orioles. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't think Lyles will get traded because Elias won't get an offer appealing enough to pull the trigger. Even with as good as the Orioles have been this year Elias is still focused on the future. 

If Elias can trade for a player that he thinks will be a key member of the 2025 Orioles playoff team then Lyles will be gone. Matt Harvey is still in this organization for a reason and he gets called up if Lyles is dealt. Even if most if the fanbase doesn't want Harvey on the team. 

Hays would be a shocker, but I wouldn't rule it out totally. Elias probably only sees Adley and possibly Felix Bautista as the only truly untouchable current Orioles. 

Jeez, I keep forgetting about Harvey. Thx for the reminder... at least another arm to plug in to the revolving door to eat innings (to mix a few too many metaphors...)

3 hours ago, now said:

Jeez, I keep forgetting about Harvey. Thx for the reminder... at least another arm to plug in to the revolving door to eat innings (to mix a few too many metaphors...)

Harvey is so terrible though. Lyle’s has actually been a surprise. I know Elias doesn’t think this team can clinch a wild card but it’s still quite a drop off between the two. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a few snippets from Roch’s report of Elias’ comments on the Mancini trade:

“I’m looking forward to seeing what we can discuss with Trey Mancini as a free agent.”

“we’re going to be in a position to see what free agency brings us both for Trey and for us.”

”it certainly is a bittersweet moment and it’s very emotional for me personally, and all of us saying goodbye to Trey for the next couple of months.”

“we’ve got another 24 hours or so before this trade deadline is expired.”

Elias said he’s having a “full spectrum of conversations” regarding other trades, with the deadline arriving Tuesday at 6 p.m.

“Things are moving very fast around the industry,” he said. “I can’t prognosticate anything right now, other than we’re listening and working on all types of possibilities.”

“ultimately, I have to tether my decisions to our outlook and the probabilities for this year. We have a shot at a wild card right now, but it is not a probability that we are going to win a wild card. We have all different ways of looking at that. And moves that we can make that can strengthen our chances for next season and the season beyond and the one beyond that are something that we have to continue to consider despite the tremendous progress that our players have made this year, and our coaches have made. And so ultimately, that’s why we did it.”

To summarize:

1.  Elias three times hinted they may try to bring Trey back as a free agent.  Maybe he was blowing smoke, but to say it three times, I have to believe there will actually be such discussions   Honestly the comments almost seemed like tampering, considering that Trey is now under contract to another team and has a mutual option.

2.  The O’s probably aren’t done trading.

3.  Elias didn’t really think we had a good shot at the playoffs this year and is still prioritizing the future.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-on-mancini-trade-and-reaction-from-orioles

In complete agreement with both what the statements he said mean and him steering the proper course for the organization at this time.

I don't see any reason to make the comments about Mancini possibly returning as a free agent.  No need to set expectations in such a way, just thank him for everything he did for the team.

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

So what's Elias saying?  Sounds to me like it's "We suck so bad don't bother coming to the games."  "Check with us in 2025".  Hell, I'm 76.  I may not be here in 2025.

Hang in there!   I think what he’s saying is his goal is and has been to build a team that is a perennial WS contender, not a team that has a puncher’s chance of scraping into a wild card spot and then hoping to get lucky in the postseason.  And there’s no reason the window of being a WS contender can’t open in 2023 and continue for a long time.  

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hang in there!   I think what he’s saying is his goal is and has been to build a team that is a perennial WS contender, not a team that has a puncher’s chance of scraping into a wild card spot and then hoping to get lucky in the postseason.  And there’s no reason the window of being a WS contender can’t open in 2023 and continue for a long time.  

Except we got a LOT better faster than anticipated.