Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

My theory is Elias was working on a trade involving one of the Orioles outfielders that fell through and Phillips was going to help fill the roster gap for the next two months. 

It does make it seem more insane that they didn't trade Santander. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

My theory is Elias was working on a trade involving one of the Orioles outfielders that fell through and Phillips was going to help fill the roster gap for the next two months. 

I thought about this too, maybe had something going with Mullins to Miami for Lopez and it didn’t work out. 

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

It just doesn’t seem like they have any desire to see Vavra play 2B in Baltimore, not one inning there since he has been up. Pretty sure Santander or Adley can slide over and finish a game at 1B if necessary. 

Nevin would be maybe the best option. It keeps Diaz on the roster at least. 

I just don't get what the plan for Stowers is. Anyway... If I think about this anymore tonight I'm going to give myself an aneurysm.

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I thought about this too, maybe had something going with Mullins to Miami for Lopez and it didn’t work out. 

Lopez would have been an intriguing pickup, but the one thing that concerns me is his home career ERA is 3.16 versus 4.77 on the road. So he would be decent, but he might get knocked around in some of the AL East stadiums. 

Lopez also has given up 31 home runs in 198 career road innings and 20 home runs in 250 home innings pitched. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=lopezpa01&year=Career&t=p

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rm5678 said:

Phillips is out of options, so he would have to be DFA'd. Why would we pay cash for someone if we don't plan on keeping him? While I like Phillips and he seems to be a fun guy, this trade is a bit strange.

I don’t know. I’m just telling you what the mlb.com roster says. Roster Resource says no options remaining as well. 

21 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I don’t know. I’m just telling you what the mlb.com roster says. Roster Resource says no options remaining as well. 

I went to MLB.com and saw the same as you. I even counted the active number of Orioles players and it totaled 26 players with Phillips being listed in the minor leagues.

The trade just happened , so let's see if anything changes tomorrow with Phillips being in transit and not available to play today. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Mike Elias is basically a mad scientist.  Picks up Phillips as the "good guy" replacement for Trey and Jorge.  Fans will love him.  https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/04/13/brett-phillips-gets-emotional-talking-about-chloe-grimes

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/08/03/phillips-visits-child-cancer-patient-to-give-gift-before-being-traded

Maybe he can replace Odor since everyone loves him.  One player who everybody loves but isn't actually a good MLB player per team is enough.

9 hours ago, interloper said:

Why do people hate McKenna? Have you looked at the offensive numbers of both players? McKenna is a perfectly adequate defense/speed bench outfielder. Phillips is that also, except one of the absolute worst hitters to ever set foot on a baseball field. He's a jester in cleats.

And no I don't care about his defense because he should never see enough playing time for that to matter.

Have you looked at McKenna try to hit a fastball? He can’t. Not saying Phillips is a justifiable move but last year he was a league average hitter who plays stellar defense. 

Why Phillips?  Here is my guess.

Hays is going on the IL.    He has been hit on the wrist several times and hurt it diving in the outfield.   Over the last 15 days he is hitting 158/250/211/461.

Hays is a 5 tool player when he is healthy but he does try to play hurt and his production suffers.   The O's have a huge left field to cover and they want a speedy outfielder to fill in while Hays  is on the IL.

Hyde will still want a speedy outfielder to be a defensively replacement for Santander.  McKenna has been filling that role.

Vavra is the DH.  He has average speed.   No where close to the speed of Phillips.

The O's have been winning over the last 15 days even with Hays not hitting.  So playing Phillips should not keep the O's from winning.

Edited by wildcard
  • Like 1