Who will be the O’s regular SS in 2024?

JimGinSP

Who will be the O’s SS in 2024 (by total innings played)?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Listed Alphabetically- Choose One:

• Henderson
    • Holliday
    • Mateo
    • Ortiz

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/22 at 03:00

Just now, JimGinSP said:

Feel free to give your thoughts on what will happen to the players you don’t choose. 

I can guarantee it won't be Holliday. They've shown that they're not going rush a prospect along like that.

If I had to guess it'll be either Ortiz or Mateo. 

I think Henderson will be the 3B if he's up by then.

Lending Jorge Lopez to Carlos Correa's team in the ongoing support of him living his best baseball life isn't the opening move of the latest woo?    

That Minnesota vehicle looks a little rickety, and have you seen what's going on here?

There's only watered down glory winning championships with the Dodgers or Yankees.

Edited by Just Regular

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Lending Jorge Lopez to Carlos Correa's team in the ongoing support of him living his best baseball life isn't the opening move of the latest woo?    

That Minnesota vehicle looks a little rickety, and have you seen what's going on here?

You mention Correa a lot. Is that your preference? 

No Westburg option? He’s a possibility if  Henderson is better used at 3B. I chose Henderson though, but I think Mateo has a chance. If Mateo can hit around a .700 OPS and keep stealing bases and playing good defense then he is worth keeping around IMO. 

I don’t think Holliday has a chance and Ortiz is a bit of a wild card. Not sure he’ll  be much more than a utility guy. 

Edited by oriole

16 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

If Mateo can figure out a way to put up an OPS+ of 90 and keep up us plus value defensively and on the basepaths, I imagine it will be him. 

Is there a reason Westburg isn't listed?

Not that I created the poll, but I think he's probably down the pecking order. I think Mateo and Ortiz are both better SS if you're going defense first, and Henderson is still the better SS defensively if you want more offense from the position 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

You mention Correa a lot. Is that your preference? 

He's just a symbol of Proven Excellence.   I don't know if the Orioles are spending $4mm or $44mm on next year's Opening Day roster.    I do think Correa is on the short list of players Mike Elias would recommend to John Angelos as worth a very large contract, and before Mateo's wonderful season, it was an obvious match for a team I hope hoping to be good in 2023.

If from the Astros 2012 class, Correa gets the preferential treatment given Rio Ruiz and Brett Phillips, an Oriole bid might compete.

I guess with Lyles now not having been traded, we can revise up the 2022 outlay from $6mm to $7mm.    Chirinos marginal salary above the minimum is too little to register.

We'll never know, but you might have to bump Ryan Klimek from $100k to $800k, or someone else will.    Could really use something like Cot's for the seamheads these days.

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Holliday shouldn’t even be an option. The chances of him making it to the big leagues in 2024 is slim to none. 

Mateo is the best bet followed by Henderson. Westburg could figure in too.

Holliday is listed due to his youthful hubris during the presser when he said he’d be in MLB in two years.  Since the poll isn’t who will be the opening day SS 2024 I threw him in just in case he comes up mid season.

As for Westburg, I can’t edit the poll and add him at this point. Type WESTBURG and I will tabulate.  

I chose Henderson, but I have no idea. Henderson will be at SS or 3B and is the only one in the poll that I feel confident will be a starter on this team in 2024. Mateo has a chance given his defense and speed if the offense is enough. Ortiz is interesting given his supposed defense and his improved bat. Holliday may be the answer in 2025, but 2024 feels too early to be the guy to get the most ABs at the position.