Santander to play some first base?

seak05

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

His sprint speed has tanked in the last few years.

Exactly. You can look at his awful burst numbers that his speed has really fallen off. If he can play 1st base, that also improves his value as well and if he plays it well enough, it makes Mountcastle expendable this off season. Mountcastle typically ends the year strong offensively so if that happens again, he could have pretty good value this offseason is trades for starting pitching.

14 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Have to admit, Ryan hasn’t been very beastly lately. 🙁 Fan club meetings have been pretty quiet this past month.

Yep. Pretty disappointed. Not shocked, but I was definitely rooting and hopeful that Mountcastle was turning a bit of a corner. But just looks like it was another of his hot-cold cycles. 

20 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Hmmm 7 seasons in minors 6 in majors …. 9 games at first in A ball at Lynchburg 

A few grounders and he will be to go lol 

This (and Odor to 3B) seems like something they should have worked on in ST, not in August. Maybe if they've been practicing for weeks I guess that makes it better, but I think Brad Pitt's phrase is going to be tested in an extreme way pretty shortly. 

I know that Mountcastle has been deemed the new Oriole Hangout whipping boy but let's stop just a second.

Folks don't like Mountcastle's approach and OBP.  Santander has a career OBP of 302 which is lower than Mountcastle's career OBP.

Mountcastle also has the higher career OPS+ of the two.

He's also younger and cheaper.

Yes this current stretch is very painful to watch but Santander is not the answer at first base.

• Upvote 3