Orioles Trade Rumors and Whispers

jcroemer

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In playing with Mark and against Mark for the better part of a decade... He's a stand up guy.

Just because he's from Severna Park and went to school in the city does not fully lend itself as a reason for him to take less money to come here and play. He'll be able to have anonimity and just be one of the players in NY - where as here - he would quickly become the albatross if things don't work out. He, much like all players, want to play on the best team with the best contract. We can't compete with the package he was offered. It would be anyone's dream to play in their hometown... but the stars have to align a little bit better than what they were.

Mark should not be on our radar for abuse IMO. I think anyone who has spent time with him would agree.

In playing with Mark and against Mark for the better part of a decade... He's a stand up guy.

Just because he's from Severna Park and went to school in the city does not fully lend itself as a reason for him to take less money to come here and play. He'll be able to have anonimity and just be one of the players in NY - where as here - he would quickly become the albatross if things don't work out. He, much like all players, want to play on the best team with the best contract. We can't compete with the package he was offered. It would be anyone's dream to play in their hometown... but the stars have to align a little bit better than what they were.

Mark should not be on our radar for abuse IMO. I think anyone who has spent time with him would agree.

Who? Mark? Who's Mark and who does he play for? Oh, a NY team. He is nothing to me.

Asking someone to be something they are not is a recipe for disaster. Teixeira is obviously not the savior this fanbase hoped he would be. He does not possess the desire or drive to take a young and emerging team on his back and take them to the playoffs. Instead he would rather be part of a large machine where he can remain only partially exposed. He's paid an enormous amount of money but he's not the highest paid player on the team.

This fanbase needs to get over the fact that this team was not attractive to Teixeira. I think they should be happy that he didn't sign here for the most money. Had he signed with the O's when he really wanted to be a Yankee just because the O's offered the most money, he would never have been happy. He didn't want the responsibility. He didn't want to be the face of this franchise. He wanted the easy win. If you are an O's fan, be thankful he signed with the Yankees. They are a perfect fit.

Some fresh links for you on your lunch hour:

Our main man, Roch Kubatko, provides us with a little more information on the Hendrickson signing. It also discussed Brad Penny.

A Sporting News overview on what the Baltimore franchise needs for the 2009 season.

A couple of reports on the Hendrickson signing, one from TSN and another from the National Post in Canada. Outside of the link I posted to the Baltimore Sun on the Hendrickson signing, everybody seems to think we inked a starter. That's okay, we'll have to see what happens in Spring Training.

Just because he's from Severna Park and went to school in the city does not fully lend itself as a reason for him to take less money to come here and play. He'll be able to have anonimity and just be one of the players in NY - where as here - he would quickly become the albatross if things don't work out.

Yeah...superstars in NY always have anonymity...:confused:

Mark isn't a superstar, he may become one, but he isn't at present. Surrounded by Jeter ARod and the other personalities on that team, he can have anonimity, at least for now. Mark's biggest issue he will have to face in the future in my opinion is simply this...was he worth it? 22.5M/year is HOF money, and if he gives you Giambi-like numbers, the poor guy will be crucified by the NY media. Baltimore fans would have been much more forgiving.

Mark isn't a superstar, he may become one, but he isn't at present. Surrounded by Jeter ARod and the other personalities on that team, he can have anonimity, at least for now. Mark's biggest issue he will have to face in the future in my opinion is simply this...was he worth it? 22.5M/year is HOF money, and if he gives you Giambi-like numbers, the poor guy will be crucified by the NY media. Baltimore fans would have been much more forgiving.

You are not serious!? For the money and notoriety he received this winter, he will be under the spot light from day 1. He asked for it and he's going to get it. If he's going to run with the big dogs he's going to have to learn how to bite.

You can bet on one thing. Teixeira will not get a home town dicount ,when it comes to criticism, from the NY press.

Here's the Joe Jordan quote from the Boston article:

"I think reality for us is New York and Boston are doing this," Orioles scouting director Joe Jordan said. "They've had a lot of extra picks and they're just budgeting the money to go sign the players and they're not worrying about any constraints maybe from the commissioner's office. They're doing what they have to do. So, we either have to decide, are we going to get into the game or not? We've decided that we're getting in."

That last part is very encouraging to me. It sounds as if we're making a commitment to drafting the best talent available with cost not being the primary factor.

You are not serious!? For the money and notoriety he received this winter, he will be under the spot light from day 1. He asked for it and he's going to get it. If he's going to run with the big dogs he's going to have to learn how to bite.

You can bet on one thing. Teixeira will not get a home town dicount ,when it comes to criticism, from the NY press.

Mussina was anonymous in NY, Jimmy Key, eben Knoblauch... the media in NY will only eat you up if you want them to. Mark won't be doing shaving commercials or sleeping with Madonna. He'll be eating Pizza and hanging out in the hotel. He's not NYC - he wants to win. He wants to be around great players who could elevate his game and protect him in the line up. If you think Texiera is going to be the guy on the front page of the NYP on opening day or the first day of Sping Training... you are insane.

Mussina was anonymous in NY, Jimmy Key, eben Knoblauch... the media in NY will only eat you up if you want them to. Mark won't be doing shaving commercials or sleeping with Madonna. He'll be eating Pizza and hanging out in the hotel. He's not NYC - he wants to win. He wants to be around great players who could elevate his game and protect him in the line up. If you think Texiera is going to be the guy on the front page of the NYP on opening day or the first day of Sping Training... you are insane.

And if you think he's not gooing to be in the Post next to CC you're in for a disappointment. That's not quite insane but probably more accurate.

And if you think he's not gooing to be in the Post next to CC you're in for a disappointment. That's not quite insane but probably more accurate.

He's still not the story of that team - not even in the top 5. 20 odd million a year for a player isn't the same as it is here.

He'll never screw up outside the ball park, he'll never not run out a ground ball or throw his helmet. He won't have a tiff in the locker room and to be honest i don't think he's ever going to put up absurdly monstrous nor dismal numbers (since he knows how to walk) He'll be professional his whole career and for that - just like Mussina - he won't be held on high nor torn down low by the low brow NY media.

He's still not the story of that team - not even in the top 5. 20 odd million a year for a player isn't the same as it is here.

He'll never screw up outside the ball park, he'll never not run out a ground ball or throw his helmet. He won't have a tiff in the locker room and to be honest i don't think he's ever going to put up absurdly monstrous nor dismal numbers (since he knows how to walk) He'll be professional his whole career and for that - just like Mussina - he won't be held on high nor torn down low by the low brow NY media.

I have no doubt he's a great guy. But what happens to him relative to the media is not completely in his control. The New York media will not only know where he ate the Pizza but what the toppings were, how many pieces he ate and how many he took home in the doggy bag.:eek:

By the way did you hear how the New york fans treated Mussina when the Orioles blew him out last year. The Boos were highly audible to say the least.

It's a different world.

I have no doubt he's a great guy. But what happens to him relative to the media is not completely in his control. The New York media will not only know where he ate the Pizza but what the toppings were, how many pieces he ate and how many he took home in the doggy bag.:eek:

By the way did you hear how the New york fans treated Mussina when the Orioles blew him out last year. The Boos were highly audible to say the least.

It's a different world.

I agree. And I think in Baltimore fans would have been totally forgiving. But - I think at the end of the day - just being around pro athletes - they want to play for the best team and get the best contract. If the rest of it happens - then that's a bonus. You want to win... and you want to get paid well to do it. He cruised in under the perfect sky during the right free agent market at the time when he is 28 and at his peak. Things couldn't have happened better for Mark. I think he'll have a very nice career there if he can stay healthy. I don't think he was worth that much money - but then again - did anyone think anyone was worth that much money the years they signed huge contracts. 5 years from now - that could look like a bargain.

I'm still going to root against him as an O's fan - but from playing with him and around him for so long - you always want those guys to do well.

Archived