Elias’ Amazing Quote

ManciniFan

59 minutes ago, ManciniFan said:

Wow, bold. Being that you haven’t brought up your number 1  SP who was dominating earlier in the year (Grod), Gunnar (obvious upgrade at 3b),  Stowers (obvious upgrade at DH/OF) and your biggest signing last year was a pitcher that could eat innings (at an above market rate). I’d rather underpromise and overdeliver myself. Words & promises don’t carry must weight during the Angelos regime. 

How is anyone supposed to take you seriously when you don't even know that GRod has been hurt for months now? 

32 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's been injured for several months.

He most likely does not want to burn Gunnar's rookie status since he would net us an additional high draft pick if he finishes high in ROY voting next year. 

Stowers is not an obvious upgrade over the current OF/DH arrangement of Hays/Mullins/Santander/Vavra at all, his strike out rate is like 30% in AAA right now.

While I agree I don't think it's "obvious" that Stowers would be an upgrade (I'm not nearly as high on him as alot of fans), to be fair to him he has done work on the whiffs and he K% in AAA is currently 25.1%, which is only slightly higher than the International League K% average of 23.6% and far better than his AAA numbers last year of 34.4%. 

These quotes are exciting to me and I hear them (well at least hopefully) as Elias seeing the O's as being World Series contenders starting next year through the rest of the decade and in my opinion he should.

The rebuild overhaul seems to have been done with this in mind.

• The payroll is in ideal shape to add the necessary top premium pitchers on short deals and still not be very high. We could add 2 ace types and still not have a payroll over 90 mil next year.
  • The ballpark dimensions are very attractive to FA pitchers now.
  • We have so much young talent on all levels (minors and big league club). And even though most of our best guys thus far are kind of bunched together except for Holiday. We still have A LOT of talent through the system which will allow us to make key trades when necessary without hindering the necessity of continually graduating guys to the big leagues yearly (which is necessary for a mid-market team like us).
  • We have a real international development program (for the first time in the org's history).
  • Peter Angelos is not able/wiling to interfere and mess anything up (like he has for the last 3 decades). You know he would have never allowed this type of tear down before.
  • The major league cornerstone pieces (beginning with Adley and by all accounts Henderson, and hopefully Rodriguez) are the type of players with the skillsets that you can win with and build on. No holes in the swing, one dimension type players, who have too many holes/flaws to perform against the best in the post season (like our last iteration of a successful team) ... no disrespect to them, but think Jones, Tilman, Davis, Schoop, Chen, etc. They were good, but not great/good enough to take us over the top.
  • Oh and one more critical thing, the Yanks are an old expensive roster. Once they shell out the coin to keep Judge which they almost certainly have to do. And as he and Cole age into their 30's, their ability to continue to add payroll will continue to diminish as will those key players. Plus the Red Sox don't have their stuff together. They are in a bad spot too. They are not good now and they either have to pay Bogaerts and Devers big money which will begin to limit other necessary moves OR not pay them and begin to rebuild. 

This SHOULD be his mindset moving forward IMO as we have dynastic assets at the moment. The stars are aligning themselves almost perfectly for us. IMO great things are ahead for us this decade given we continue to make the right/smart moves.

• Upvote 2

This sure doesn’t seem like a GM that is worried about ownership putting restrictions on his plan. He’s either a huge idiot or he has complete confidence that he can do what he wants to do.  And nothing about what he’s done over the past few years says he’s an idiot.

“Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll, a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively”

So alot of the "significant" escalation will come thru Arb raises, can we ballpark what that round number might be? Also, "much more aggressively" re FAs really means more than Lyles $7M. We have the lowest payroll and have shed Mancini already and likely won't pickup Lyles $11M option. It sounds like a $40-50M payroll would be a significant escalation. Until John A says otherwise, I am going to temper my expectations.

The Orioles "dominating the rest of the 2020's" -- that is, the next seven years? Really? Does Elias, does anyone, really think the NYYs, RS and Jays all will be mired, year after year, in 75-85 win mediocrity and will tell their fans (and themselves), "Man, we just can't compete with that Orioles juggernaut. Let's try to play .550-plus while we rebuild so we have a shot at them in a few years." Not gonna happen. 

I'd be ecstatic with three to five years of contention in the AL East, a division title or two, and entering the post-season with a couple of really good starters at full, uninjured strength.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

These quotes are exciting to me and I hear them (well at least hopefully) as Elias seeing the O's as being World Series contenders starting next year through the rest of the decade and in my opinion he should.

The rebuild overhaul seems to have been done with this in mind.

• The payroll is in ideal shape to add the necessary top premium pitchers on short deals and still not be very high. We could add 2 ace types and still not have a payroll over 90 mil next year.
  • The ballpark dimensions are very attractive to FA pitchers now.
  • We have so much young talent on all levels (minors and big league club). And even though most of our best guys thus far are kind of bunched together except for Holiday. We still have A LOT of talent through the system which will allow us to make key trades when necessary without hindering the necessity of continually graduating guys to the big leagues yearly (which is necessary for a mid-market team like us).
  • We have a real international development program (for the first time in the org's history).
  • Peter Angelos is not able/wiling to interfere and mess anything up (like he has for the last 3 decades). You know he would have never allowed this type of tear down before.
  • The major league cornerstone pieces (beginning with Adley and by all accounts Henderson, and hopefully Rodriguez) are the type of players with the skillsets that you can win with and build on. No holes in the swing, one dimension type players, who have too many holes/flaws to perform against the best in the post season (like our last iteration of a successful team) ... no disrespect to them, but think Jones, Tilman, Davis, Schoop, Chen, etc. They were good, but not great/good enough to take us over the top.
  • Oh and one more critical thing, the Yanks are an old expensive roster. Once they shell out the coin to keep Judge which they almost certainly have to do. And as he and Cole age into their 30's, their ability to continue to add payroll will continue to diminish as will those key players. Plus the Red Sox don't have their stuff together. They are in a bad spot too. They are not good now and they either have to pay Bogaerts and Devers big money which will begin to limit other necessary moves OR not pay them and begin to rebuild. 

This SHOULD be his mindset moving forward IMO as we have dynastic assets at the moment. The stars are aligning themselves almost perfectly for us. IMO great things are ahead for us this decade given we continue to make the right/smart moves.

Why do you think the NYYs, after signing Judge (which I think is likely, but by no means certain, especially with the Mets out there to compete), will lack "ability to add payroll"? They easily can increase their payroll, based on their revenues, their ability to raise ticket prices, ad prices and cable fees, and the enormous wealth that the Steinbrenners inherited (without estate taxes).

Whether ownership will be willing to add $50 or $100 million in payroll, or whatever it takes to bring in superior talent, is uncertain. But they certainly can if they want to, and if they field a non-competitive team for even a season the pressure on them to bring in top-tier talent through free-agent signings or trades for high-salaried veterans will be enormous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Why do you think the NYYs, after signing Judge (which I think is likely, but by no means certain, especially with the Mets out there to compete), will lack "ability to add payroll"? They easily can increase their payroll, based on their revenues, their ability to raise ticket prices, ad prices and cable fees, and the enormous wealth that the Steinbrenners inherited (without estate taxes).

Whether ownership will be willing to add $50 or $100 million in payroll, or whatever it takes to bring in superior talent, is uncertain. But they certainly can if they want to, and if they field a non-competitive team for even a season the pressure on them to bring in top-tier talent through free-agent signings or trades for high-salaried veterans will be enormous.

I don't think that the Yanks will be totally hamstring by adding any one contract, but once they pay 35-40 mil a year to Judge, it will decrease their ability to do other things. Currently their roster is old/aging. Judge is already 30, even though he is a phenomenal player, he is not likely to be the same at age 33- 37. And I am sure he is going to be asking for a 7-8 year contract. 

All I am saying is that yes the Yanks will still be able to add on payroll, but as the decade goes on, they will be stuck with aging, expensive vets like Stanton and like Cole and Judge will eventually become while our best guys who will hopefully have reached their primes and full potentials as the decade goes on, are much younger and at some point are better than theirs.

Honestly, the skepticism on here makes me laugh.  It has been obvious all along that Elias planned to cut payroll while the team was bad, then ramp it back up as the team was getting good.  This is Rebuilding 101.   And Elias pretty much said exactly what he’d do, and he’s done it.   So why be skeptical now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, the skepticism on here makes me laugh.  It has been obvious all along that Elias planned to cut payroll while the team was bad, then ramp it back up as the team was getting good.  This is Rebuilding 101.   And Elias pretty much said exactly what he’d do, and he’s done it.   So why be skeptical now?

Yeah, I don’t get it either.

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

“Our plan for this offseason has always been to significantly escalate the payroll, a lot of that’s going to come through our own guys going into arbitration but also we plan to explore free agency much more aggressively”

So alot of the "significant" escalation will come thru Arb raises, can we ballpark what that round number might be? Also, "much more aggressively" re FAs really means more than Lyles $7M. We have the lowest payroll and have shed Mancini already and likely won't pickup Lyles $11M option. It sounds like a $40-50M payroll would be a significant escalation. Until John A says otherwise, I am going to temper my expectations.

There isn’t anything significant coming in arb unless his definition of significant isn’t the same as most and/or it’s significant in relation to the payroll..which would mean the payroll isn’t going up all that much.