Mountcastle

Joep

Mountcastle can't catch up with a fastball.. best he can do is foul tip it....of course the outside slider is still a problem for him....is he not able to see a fastball or is he just too slow to react....this is very bad news

Edited by Joep

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Trey Mancini, 2018.  .242/.299/.416, .715 OPS, 95 OPS+, 24 homers, 44 BB, 153 Ks in 636 PAs. Age 26.

Ryan Mountcastle, 2022. .244/.291/.421, .712 OPS, 100 OPS+.  18 homers, 29 walks 122 Ks in 475 PAs. Age 25.

I'd certainly rather see if Mountcastle can bounce back rather than, say, try to resign Mancini to a three or four year deal starting at 31. A trade of Mountcastle at this point is probably selling low.  His '22 xwOBA is .347 and other batted ball metrics are positive, good chance he hits better going forward.

Are you forgetting 2017 Mancini? 

Mountcastle has never put numbers has good has those.

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Trey Mancini, 2018.  .242/.299/.416, .715 OPS, 95 OPS+, 24 homers, 44 BB, 153 Ks in 636 PAs. Age 26.

Ryan Mountcastle, 2022. .244/.291/.421, .712 OPS, 100 OPS+.  18 homers, 29 walks 122 Ks in 475 PAs. Age 25.

I'd certainly rather see if Mountcastle can bounce back rather than, say, try to resign Mancini to a three or four year deal starting at 31. A trade of Mountcastle at this point is probably selling low.  His '22 xwOBA is .347 and other batted ball metrics are positive, good chance he hits better going forward.

I asked this in the game thread yesterday.

What value does he have to any team at this point? A free swinging first baseman who's not currently hitting for a ton of power. We always talk about trading RM and Hays but I dont see what value they offer.

RM deserves his share of criticism, but the OP's is not based in reality.

RM has incredible plate coverage and a very, very quick bat.

His problem is he makes bad swing decisions constantly, even when he's hitting well.

His plate coverage and bat speed have always allowed him to get away with it.  And even here, it's not like he's a bad hitter, just not what you want at 1b.

Average players get exposed and struggle to adjust.

Good players get exposed and adjust with success only to be exposed again and the cycle continues.

Great players will figure out what the opposing team is doing, adjust and are better hitters for it. The cycle continues but they continue to win the battle.

Mountcastle sits on the cusp of being a really good player. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

He would not be a Regular on a real good team.  So limited.

The Astros have given 468 to Yuli Gurriel at 1b who is hitting .244 w 7 HR.

The Yankees have given 375 PAs to Aaron Hicks who is OPSing .638 with negative defense. 

Every good team has some meh players. 

I also want to see Mountcastle do better and I won't be surprised if he is replaced via FA or trade in the next couple years. But I don't get how people are labeling him "the problem."

If RM has such a quick bat...why is he late so much with fastballs....seems to only got well when pitchers hang a curve or slider...but most good hitters love a fastball and take advantage when there over the plate....RM swings through or foul tips those fastballs...

4 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The Astros have given 468 to Yuli Gurriel at 1b who is hitting .244 w 7 HR.

The Yankees have given 375 PAs to Aaron Hicks who is OPSing .638 with negative defense. 

Every good team has some meh players. 

I also want to see Mountcastle do better and I won't be surprised if he is replaced via FA or trade in the next couple years. But I don't get how people are labeling him "the problem."

It might have something to do with him slashing .173/.241/.280/.521 with a 13 BB to 44 K ratio in his last 166 PAs since July 12th while the team has been struggling to score runs in a wild card chase.

• Haha 1