Schmuck: O's interested in Sexson

section36

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The O's are clearly still fascinated with "names", players they feel fans are familiar with enough to plop down $12 on a Tuesday night and see them play. I'm guessing AM will give these guys just a 1 year deal instead of a 3 year deal like the past regimes would have done, but we're still targeting the wrong players, plain and simple.

That's true - I'll withhold judgment until there's actually ink on contractual paper. But I'm an Orioles fan. Many, many times in the past I've said that and then had to write an article asking why they just signed Deivi Cruz for $2M instead of simply promoting Eddy Garabito.

Fair enough. But I'm certainly hoping MacPhail is smarter than that. So far, other than the Tracshel signing, he hasn't followed the same mistakes as the previous regimes.

I agree, but am still confused why it's a good idea to publicize it.

Well, all we know is that according to Schmuck, club officials had apparently had contact with his agent. Who knows where Schmuck got that information, and even he himself says that he doesn't know how serious they are.

Maybe bigbird's hostage threads are putting the heat on them, so they feel the need to release an elite name like Sexson to appease the legions of Orioles fans awaiting their next move (end heavy sarcasm).

Fair enough. But I'm certainly hoping MacPhail is smarter than that. So far, other than the Tracshel signing, he hasn't followed the same mistakes as the previous regimes.

What was wrong with the Trachsel signing? In 2007, he put up respectable numbers, compared with what (in hindsight) the other options would have given us. Last season, he was only signed on a minor league deal (i.e. league minimum salary) - MacPhail was probably hoping that he wouldn't have to promote someone who wasn't ready (like, you know, Brian Burres, Radhames Liz...).

The idea was right in both cases - maybe last season we gave him one too many chances, but don't forget, we even managed to trade him late in the 2007 season and acquire, essentially, some free players.

"The Old boss is the same as the New boss."

I was in favor of including him in the M's trade in order to take salary off their hands AND to get more & or better prospects from them but that ship has sailed. Can't see any point to this other than us being cheap.

There's a difference between being cheap & being thrifty. Being cheap is a rest stop on the road to mediocrity.

"The Old boss is the same as the New boss."

I was in favor of including him in the M's trade in order to take salary off their hands AND to get more & or better prospects from them but that ship has sailed. Can't see any points to this other than us being cheap.

There's a difference between being cheap & being thrifty. Being cheap is a rest stop on the road to mediocrity.

Well, if we do sign Sexson, I'd say we've been "Fooled Again"! ;)

I thought MacPhail was big enough to be able to handle this kind of criticism and tell the "why don't you sign somebody I recognize" fans he'd rather build a good team at a reasonable cost. I'm certainly not on the anti-MacPhail lynchmob, but it's starting to look like he isn't.

Why?

Because the media says there was exactly 1 phone call involving an old guy's agent?

Do we know which side made the call?

Should AM's assistant refuse to answer the phone?

How is this report evidence of anything at all?

You say you're not part of the lynch mob but, based on this, it seems like your rope is within easy reach ;-)

(Bangs head against desk)

I can't really say anything about how bad this would be that hasn't already been posted.

That being said, I do agree with those that are taking the "let's complain IF/WHEN it happens" approach...

Still, it's disheartening to think that the O's are even considering guys like this.

(Bangs head against desk again)

Archived