Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course not. Hayden Penn could still be a future mainstay of our rotation. Garko is a mediocre 1B that we don't need this season. If we need the likes of him next season it will be easy enough to find it then.

No picking you you specifically EG, but I keep hearing this kind of thing every year. The "its easy to find a 1B" argument.

I got the impression that we never went after a young first baseman because we were "holding out" for Teixeira. So, when is this acquisition going to happen?

Again...not picking on you...I've just heard this type of thing before.

That's not true. There are many here who believe all is well and that AM is spon on with what he's doing. We have to be trying to acquire pieces anytime we can. Let me ask this, as of right now we are without a 1B, 2B,

3B, DH for 2010. How do we get this players???

We don't need those positions specifically for 2010. What we need are long term solutions at as many as possible. We'll get a few of those guys through trading some of Roberts, Huff, Mora, Scott, and Sherrill. We'll hopefully have a couple guys develop through out system. Maybe we'll sign someone who can be an answer for a couple years the way Izturis is to patch any holes we can't fill through trade or development.

Now isn't necessarily the time to trade those guys I mentioned though. Making a move now may be the right time, but it also might be better to hold on to some of those guys for a little while. Or take draft picks if the offers aren't there. I think the problem most people have with your recent posts are that you seem to be implying that right now is the only time these problems can be fixed. It isn't as urgent of a problem as you are implying it is.

Winning now isn't an option, so as long as we are making progress towards winning, which we will by acquiring young talent for our tradeable assets and not giving away any of our young prospects for meaningless veterans, we're more or less on the right path.

Of course not. Hayden Penn could still be a future mainstay of our rotation. Garko is a mediocre 1B that we don't need this season. If we need the likes of him next season it will be easy enough to find it then.

I'd trade Penn with no second thoughts if we could get Garko

1. The Markakis extension should have been wrapped up last summer.

2. We should have made some trades at the deadline but opted not to.

3. We allowed our early success of the season blur our vision.

4. Bradford doesnt get dealt for nothing.

5. Making Roberts out to be a bad guy.

:bs:

These are your opinions. I believe when he asked what your support was, he meant do you have any facts to back up any of these claims?

I disagree with pretty much everything in this post. Penn is just about finished as even having upside. He was bad in a great pitchers park last year in AAA. I doubt he pitches well enough to make the MLB squad, and will then be lost on waivers.

Garko had a bad year last year, but was pretty good the two years before that. He's a very good buy low candidate, and could definitely be the starting 1B on a contending team if he gets back to where he was in 2006-2007. He wouldn't be a major asset, but he could be an average or slightly better 1B. If we can find someone with that potential while giving up someone like Penn with almost no potential, it'd be insanely stupid to pass it up.

No picking you you specifically EG, but I keep hearing this kind of thing every year. The "its easy to find a 1B" argument.

I got the impression that we never went after a young first baseman because we were "holding out" for Teixeira. So, when is this acquisition going to happen?

Again...not picking on you...I've just heard this type of thing before.

My point is, the plan, weither you agree with it or not, is to develop SP and trade draft and sign FA's for position players. Penn as a SP prospect with a decent upside fits the plan IMO better than Garko. I don't think the O's should be s]trading any SP untill they feel they have a surplus.

Ok how has it gotten better since AM has arrived?

He's built on the young core of players.

He's upgraded our farm system through the draft and trades.

He's built a foundation for international scouting.

He's upgraded the video scouting to allow for players to review and analyze EVERYTHING.

He's hired more personnel in the Front Office that have experience and talent for scouting and player development.

He hired Dave Trembley.

My point is, the plan, weither you agree with it or not, is to develop SP and trade draft and sign FA's for position players. Penn as a SP prospect with a decent upside fits the plan IMO better than Garko. I don't think the O's should be s]trading any SP untill they feel they have a surplus.

If you can get Garko for Penn, you pull the trigger before Cleveland figures out their mistake.

We have plenty of pitching depth to absorb a Penn "loss"

Guest rochester
Hendry has just accomplished more in the last 48 hours than MacPhail has in the past 11 months. I'm willing to give him 5 years though:rolleyes:

Man, you are going over the edge here BB. You are starting to act very strange at times and I am not going to just give the ignore because you have some great points but the personal hatred is not good for you...

I still can not understand all of the love for Hendry (not just BB)....where has that ~$140-145 they are projected to pay in 2009.

What has Hendry done for the past 12+ months besides the Harden trade, which he gave up a decent amount for (but does make sense.) Actually, his history is not all that great in hindsight, except for the spending spree. Heck, he sold Josh Hamilton to The Reds for cash?!?!/

Ok how has it gotten better since AM has arrived?
We're definitely in much better shape as a franchise since MacPhail got here then before. Each GM since Thrift has improved the franchise, IMO, and MacPhail has continued that. He's brought in more young talent than anyone prior to him had done. He's continued what Flanny started in spending extra on guys who slip in the draft. He's improved international scouting tremendously.

The MLB record is worse under him, but thats not really important at this point. Had we kept continuing to simply get to .500 like Duquette and Flanny wanted to do, rather than rebuild into a team that can actually contend, things would have never turned around.

Archived